• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Female Doctor

Kapalika

Premium Member
Maybe the doctor's species is just beyond gender and sex? I don't know enough about the lore to day.

If it's a thing the doctor's species can do there is some scientific name for it. Some fish can do it for example. So it would just be that.

Remember The Doctor is an alien, and has multiple hearts so... maybe this is somewhat normal for some timelords when they regenerate.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In the biological world, an animal (if we can call something so alien that it's outside the Kingdom of animalia an 'animal') which can (freely or otherwise) change sex between male and female is called a hermaphrodite. Hermaphrodite is a depricated term in sociology, gender studies and psychology and is now generally just called intersex. I think it's totally possible to be an intersex transgender since gender identity can still exist in people with ambiguous sex. But it's probably real weird in the doctor's case since there wasn't any dysphoria (at least didn't appear to be.) They didn't transition because he felt like he was mentally a 'she'. And she doesn't identify that way because 'He' was incorrect prior to the regeneration. But 'he' might be considered inappropriate now.

Here's another question, is the doctor trans if he continues to wish to be referred to as a 'He' despite changing physical sex? If that's not the case, are they still trans simply by having a sex change?

Sexy-wexy-gender-dender stuff.

Kapalika

Premium Member
In the biological world, an animal (if we can call something so alien that it's outside the Kingdom of animalia an 'animal') which can (freely or otherwise) change sex between male and female is called a hermaphrodite. Hermaphrodite is a depricated term in sociology, gender studies and psychology and is now generally just called intersex. I think it's totally possible to be an intersex transgender since gender identity can still exist in people with ambiguous sex. But it's probably real weird in the doctor's case since there wasn't any dysphoria (at least didn't appear to be.) They didn't transition because he felt like he was mentally a 'she'. And she doesn't identify that way because 'He' was incorrect prior to the regeneration. But 'he' might be considered inappropriate now.

Here's another question, is the doctor trans if he continues to wish to be referred to as a 'He' despite changing physical sex? If that's not the case, are they still trans simply by having a sex change?

Sexy-wexy-gender-dender stuff.

Well as I said, if it's normal for time lords to sometimes regenerate as a different sex then the doctor wouldn't be transgender, but might just be like those animals on our own planet. No dysphoria would support this idea.

Of course, realistically the regeneration thing just existed to explain the different actors and this is the first time it's been an actress.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Hmm. The Doctor certainly has a non-human biology, so I suppose it is a coin toss. Trangender is probably accurate, but I can see the case for complete sex change and even for a new word as well.

Also, IIRC this time there will be a need to somehow transcend the original limitation for regenerations. Maybe the explanation will involve making it so that the next 12 regenerations after this are all women?

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I dunno. Other Time Lords seem capable of it. If I'm not mistaking the Master's female regen storyline. Which admittedly I didn't fully watch. So maybe it's just part of their species? :shrug:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well as I said, if it's normal for time lords to sometimes regenerate as a different sex then the doctor wouldn't be transgender, but might just be like those animals on our own planet. No dysphoria would support this idea.

Of course, realistically the regeneration thing just existed to explain the different actors and this is the first time it's been an actress.
I just like overthinking it. :D
In the past doctor who lore, people did identify as male, female, husbands and wives, and only wives became pregnant (up until a curse that made most Time Lords sterile and called for genetic reproduction). So even though it might not be a complete 1 to 1, there's still some parallel questions to be had I think.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Imo I would not call the doctor trans unless the doctor specified that their gender identity was different than their sex (at regeneration?) Trans happens when something in psychology and/or brain chemistry has a mismatched expectation of what the body should be (which causes dysphoria). The doctor, as far as we know, regenerated into a body with corresponding gender identity. So it's more like a new birth than a sex change.

But I could be completely wrong.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No, that sounds about right.

On the other hand, the Doctor's regenerations share at least the memory of their previous ones, so I must assume that factors into their identities as well.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Does Doctor Who's latest regeneration count as a transgender? Or some other designation?

Some other designation, I mean the Doctor regenerates as an Adult of various ages and then ages incredibly slow. Regeneration is kinda like birth of the new doctor so the doctor is just born that way. The master went through a gender change becoming Misty and Misty was a great character on the show so here's hoping the New doctor is great as well.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Does Doctor Who's latest regeneration count as a transgender? Or some other designation?

No. Time Lords are not human, they have a different anatomy which allows them to live many centuries longer, regenerate and change their outward appearance, including seeming gender. For example, The Master came back as The Mistress (Missy); the Corsair was another Time Lord who often switched between male and female appearances.

There have been other TLs that were "female", it could be a matter of the given TL simply preferring one form over another. Perhaps in the case of The Doctor, it could be that for all these past decades he tended to appear as male, given male dominance in Western society.