• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Fatal Flaw of the Cosmological Argument

PureX

Veteran Member
Well, there is spacetime, which unifies space and time into one geometry.
But you're still completely focused on cosmological physics, rather then on existential philosophy. Which only exemplifies, to me, how intellectually limited 'scientism' is.

PureX

Veteran Member
By existence do you mean life?

No order required, quite the contrary. Entropy predicts a short period (in universe terms) of life as the universe progresses to disorder.
Nothing exists in chaos but chaos. For any 'thing' to exist, but chaos, the chaos must be limited: ordered.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Nothing exists in chaos but chaos. For any 'thing' to exist, but chaos, the chaos must be limited: ordered.

I am not sure you understand what chaos is but rather you take the religious word.

Where is the order in the universe?
bd50cdc1c7_105890_galaxie-filament-volker-springel-virgo-consortium.jpg

Where is the order in a chromosome?
acgt_sm.jpg

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
But you're still completely focused on cosmological physics, rather then on existential philosophy. Which only exemplifies, to me, how intellectually limited 'scientism' is.

On the other hand, I see existential philosophy as rather trivial and beside the point. In general, philosophy is best when it is looking at possibilities and not saying they are reality. The point of science is to determine which of the possibilities is real.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
One point that theists do not seem to understand:

There is no formal "Law of Cause and Effect" in the sciences .

I'll second this wholeheartedly. Go to any reasonably advanced physics book. There simply is no 'Law of Cause and Effect'.

In fact, the closest you get to such is a 'causality' assumption in quantum field theory that states that two events that are timelike-separated have zero correlation. In other words, correlations travel at most at the speed of light.

But this is *very* far from stating what is required for a Kalam argument to go through.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Oh my... What is this world coming too. Shouldn't be allowed i tell ya! Shouldn't be allowed.
My high school geography teacher was a young earth creationist. Before we started on physical geography, he told us that he felt that he had to say that he disagreed with a number of the things he would be teaching us.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My high school geography teacher was a young earth creationist. Before we started on physical geography, he told us that he felt that he had to say that he disagreed with a number of the things he would be teaching us.

At least you had an honest and conscientious geography teacher.

PureX

Veteran Member
I am not sure you understand what chaos is but rather you take the religious word.

Where is the order in the universe?

Where is the order in a chromosome?
If you can't recognize order in a chromosome, or in the structure of the universe, nothing I can say will help you. Sorry.