• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The false doctrine of 'Once Saved, Always Saved'

reddogs

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father
which is in heaven." Matthew 7:21

'ONCE SAVED, ALWAYS SAVED'. That is the cry so often heard from many people today. "I can do whatever I want, as long as I claim to have accepted Jesus. Why I could go out and rob a bank and if I were to die at that very moment, I would be saved." Many people believe this, but is it true? Once we have accepted Jesus, can we go on living like the world in open, rebellious sin and still be saved.

Most people who believe this teaching will quote the following Bible verse as proof: "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38, 39.

Now this is a wonderful Bible promise that God has given us and it should inspire us all. But does it say once a person is born again, it is impossible for him to lose his way and be lost? In fact, is this verse talking about salvation or eternal life at all? No, this verse is clearly talking about God's unconditional love towards man. You might also notice that the word "sin" was not included in the list of things which are unable to separate us from the love of God.

If we continue in sin, after we have asked Jesus to be our personal Saviour, are we really in a saved relationship, are we converted? "For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins." Hebrews 10:26.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Does one have to be born again? Can you support the idea that one has to be born again to receive salvation? If not, your whole argument falls apart.

Also, the Bible states that the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 6:23). It says nothing about having to be born again. It says nothing about being punished in hell. The Bible even states that all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God (Romans 3:23). So what is being said? We all die but are given a free gift.

reddogs

One has to accept Christ righteousness and allow the Holy Spirit to do its work of transforming out hearts and minds, so Gods law is written in the fleshy parts of our hearts.

"22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23

"Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart." 2 Corinthians 3:3