• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Fall of Adam and Eve - Help!?

Tallie

Okay, guys. I have a homework assignment due tomorrow and I didn't realize that the instructions say that I need insights from somebody not of my same faith. I found this forum and thought that it would be the perfect place to get some different perspectives on the topic of the Fall of Adam and Eve.

So here are my questions:
What is your belief about the Fall?
What is your belief about the results of it?
What are the reasons for the Fall in God’s plan?

I would really appreciate any and all input I can get! Thank you sooooo much! <3

wicketkeeper

Living From the Heart.
Eve was seduced by Lucifer and she tried to implicate Adam as being a part of the, ahem, mishap.

Well, Lucifer must have been happy, as he got a son - Cain. Well the Catholic Church have made a healthy financial return on this matter. They have also made so many of its followers feel shame and guilt.

Purely for good theatre.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
Yeah, my professor specified that they do have to be a Christian. Sorry, love. But thanks a bunch for being willing to pitch in. =)
Go to the place here called the Christianity DIR and ask them there. That's a place where only Christians are allowed to reply, so you won't get bogged down by everyone else's answers. Good luck with your work though! I'm a religious studies major so I sympathize. If you ever need any other religion homework help, hit us up! :p

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Okay, guys. I have a homework assignment due tomorrow and I didn't realize that the instructions say that I need insights from somebody not of my same faith. I found this forum and thought that it would be the perfect place to get some different perspectives on the topic of the Fall of Adam and Eve.

This is from the perspective of Jehovah's Witnesses....FWIW.
128fs318181.gif
See what you think......

(Genesis ch. 1-3)

God created physical beings and placed them on a planet that he had specially prepared for them. His final creations were different to all other lifeforms.These he made in his own image, meaning that they had his intelligence, attributes and moral qualities. He educated the man and allowed him to participate in naming the creatures that the Creator assigned him to take care of.

There were two significant trees in the garden that would impact on their future. One was "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil" and there was a prohibition on taking the fruit from this tree, under penalty of death.

The other tree was "the tree of life". There was no prohibition on this tree and partaking of its fruit meant living forever right here on earth. There was only one rule...."the tree of the knowledge of good and evil" was God's property and no human was permitted to take what belonged to God. He claimed the right to this knowledge and made the rule for man's own good. He knew that humans would never benefit from a knowledge of evil......but a rebel spirit challenged God's right to make that rule. He convinced the woman that God was holding back something to which they were entitled.....he lied and she believed him. Adam was not deceived however, but made a deliberate choice to join his rebellious wife, making his sin greater than hers. (1 Timothy 2:13, 14)

The devil's target was the man all along, but instead of approaching him directly, (as he would likely have refused to take what God had prohibited) he deceived the woman because he knew she could get the man to join her. It worked. "Sin" then entered the world (Romans 5:12) and it would result in aging, sickness and finally death for all humans who descended from Adam.

Physical death was not immediate because the Creator allowed them to fulfill his mandate to 'fill the earth with their kind'. But spiritually, they died the very day they separated themselves from their God by choosing to obey a lesser god. As a result God has allowed this 'would-be' god to rule the world and allow humans to see for themselves what happens when they abandon him. (Luke 4:5, 6; 1 John 5:19)

The fall was never in God's plan. He did not set the humans up for failure, but allowed them the right to exercise their God-given free will. He was their rightful sovereign and he expected them to obey his directions in the knowledge that he knew better than they did what was good for them. It was their choice to disobey his command and they brought the death penalty upon themselves....unfortunately, the "sin" that resulted was genetically handed on to all of Adam's children. Adam paid the penalty for his own sin and so did his wife. But there was no one to pay for what Adam did to his children to release them from the cycle of sin and death that resulted from their disobedience. A perfect sinless life had to come from outside the now sinful human race to atone for what Adam had done......God sent Jesus to pay the debt for us. We are waiting now for Jesus to bring his kingdom rule to the earth and return us to the conditions that God created at the beginning. (Matthew 6:9, 10)

I would really appreciate any and all input I can get! Thank you sooooo much! <3

Hope that helps.
4xvim2p.gif

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

There is not necessarily a fall, but they are driven out of the garden. They obtain the knowledge of good and evil. Because of this they cannot live in the garden. It is an exchange. They are superior or equal to the gods, because they have gained the ability to judge. The reason they must leave the garden is their gift has a price. One lesson this teaches is that there is no reason to be awed by gods or to request wisdom from gods, because you have the ability to make wise decisions without gods. You pay for this with mortality or perhaps a lower nature.

God's 'Plan' is encapsulated in the story. 1. Make people 2. Give them free will 3. Make them like Adam and Eve, eyes opened and kicked out of the garden.

There are some interpretations and things about this in the NT.

Jesus in the gospels says people have power to forgive sins. He says the Word comes down to dwell in people giving them power to become sons of God. The impression I get is that the original idea of gaining the knowledge of good and evil is not lost. The same ideas are repeated.

Some people believe the garden is a judgment against Adam which causes us all to be guilty and that our guilt is taken away through Jesus death. This is not really accurate I think and does not do justice to the story or to the death of Jesus either.

Where it gets complicated is in the letters of Paul the apostle. Romans 5 and 1Corinthians 15 talk about the nature of Adam after he eats of the tree, justification and bringing gentiles into the church and an extended concept of death. In Adam we are all dead, but in Christ we are made alive. It is a way of speaking that encompasses what happens to Adam and Eve who are kicked out of the garden. What Paul says indirectly is that they may keep their heavenly wisdom and still go back into the garden. So he builds on the story. The lower nature is cleansed, or the mortality is cleansed in Christ.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Baha'i perspective here.

The story of Adam and Eve in the garden is entirely allegorical and not to be taken literally.

The doctrine of the original sin and the fall of man is man made. A major problem is Gods' presumed judgement on us because of the sins of our ancestors. It is not just. If my grandfather stole, what judge considered wise and fair would seriously punish me for his crime?

Check this out for a Baha'i understanding of this story of Adam and Eve

Bahá'í Reference Library - Some Answered Questions, Pages 122-126

Last edited:

omega2xx

The fall is literal as written. The results are literal as written. God did not have a reasons for the fall, it just happened.

As I remember, Mormons like to play the blame game---Eve blames Satan, Adam blames Eve.

It is more accurate to see what they told God as confessions, because of what God did and what Adam did. Nakedness symbolizes the shame of our sins(Rev 3:18, Rev 16:15). God made the garments of skin, indicating a blood sacrifice for them. The word for "garment" means one that reaches to the ground, indicating all of their nakedness was covered.

Adam was not deceived(I Tim 2:14). That means he deliberately disobeyed. Why would he blame his wife for what he deliberately did?

Since I am not a Mormon, you may not be able to use what I say. I am a Christian and you need a different perspective form what all Mormons must accept as the truth.

Last edited:

omega2xx

Go to the place here called the Christianity DIR and ask them there. That's a place where only Christians are allowed to reply, so you won't get bogged down by everyone else's answers. Good luck with your work though! I'm a religious studies major so I sympathize. If you ever need any other religion homework help, hit us up! :p

What do you find more compelling about the occult than you do about Christianity. This may need a different thread, but I am curious about why people looking for a religion, reject the one that promises the most for the least.

rusra02

Premium Member

I believe the Bible's account is accurate history.
The result of Adam's sin is that death and sin have been passed to all their descendants. (Romans 5:12)
God did not foreordain man's rebellion and fall into sin, IMO. He created mankind perfect, with the gift of free will. It was not God's will that Adam disobey God's command and thus bring disaster upon himself and his unborn offspring. I believe that God did know that whatever occurred, nothing could prevent God from fulfilling his purpose. (Isaiah 55:10,11)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

Good luck on your assignment, Tallie. Next time, don't postpone! :D

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
What do you find more compelling about the occult than you do about Christianity. This may need a different thread, but I am curious about why people looking for a religion, reject the one that promises the most for the least.
Yes, definitely needs a different thread. I could babble on about this topic for ages! One-on-one debates perhaps? Your call.

omega2xx

Yes, definitely needs a different thread. I could babble on about this topic for ages! One-on-one debates perhaps? Your call.

Old geezers like me aren't to swift with these new fangled gadgets. If you start a thread, I will respond, If you want to make it private, I will respond. Ladies choice.

arthra

Baha'i

Baha'is do not subscribe to the doctrine of original sin and total depravity... for sure there is what we believe to be a spiritual allegory in the Garden of Eden story... God breathes life of spirit into us and we become "living beings".. The tree in the center of the garden can be seen as an allegory for the human world.

Abdul-Baha explains:

The tree of good and evil signifies the human world; for the spiritual and divine world is purely good and absolutely luminous, but in the human world light and darkness, good and evil, exist as opposite conditions.

The meaning of the serpent is attachment to the human world. This attachment of the spirit to the human world led the soul and spirit of Adam from the world of freedom to the world of bondage and caused Him to turn from the Kingdom of Unity to the human world. When the soul and spirit of Adam entered the human world, He came out from the paradise of freedom and fell into the world of 124 bondage. From the height of purity and absolute goodness, He entered into the world of good and evil.

The tree of life is the highest degree of the world of existence: the position of the Word of God, and the supreme Manifestation. Therefore, that position has been preserved; and, at the appearance of the most noble supreme Manifestation, it became apparent and clear. For the position of Adam, with regard to the appearance and manifestation of the divine perfections, was in the embryonic condition; the position of Christ was the condition of maturity and the age of reason; and the rising of the Greatest Luminary 4 was the condition of the perfection of the essence and of the qualities. This is why in the supreme Paradise the tree of life is the expression for the center of absolutely pure sanctity—that is to say, of the divine supreme Manifestation. From the days of Adam until the days of Christ, They spoke little of eternal life and the heavenly universal perfections. This tree of life was the position of the Reality of Christ; through His manifestation it was planted and adorned with everlasting fruits.

wicketkeeper

Living From the Heart.
Baha'i perspective here.

The story of Adam and Eve in the garden is entirely allegorical and not to be taken literally.

The doctrine of the original sin and the fall of man is man made. A major problem is Gods' presumed judgement on us because of the sins of our ancestors. It is not just. If my grandfather stole, what judge considered wise and fair would seriously punish me for his crime?

Check this out for a Baha'i understanding of this story of Adam and Eve

Thanks for the link as I was unaware of the Bahai perspective regarding Adam and Eve. Very interesting.

I knew some lovely Bahai folk in Nuneaton in the mid 1990s. They belonged to the Nuneaton Bahai community, and boy do I miss them.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for the link as I was unaware of the Bahai perspective regarding Adam and Eve. Very interesting.

I knew some lovely Bahai folk in Nuneaton in the mid 1990s. They belonged to the Nuneaton Bahai community, and boy do I miss them.

I imagine they would miss you too:) Its always nice as a community to have friends of the faith. Always interesting chats discussing different perspectives.

The Baha'i writings have a lot to say about Christianityo_O

I'm from New Zealand across the other side of the world. That being said my father was from Hertfordshire. Nice to meet you.