• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Faith of Abraham

Dinner123

Hearken to me, ye that follow after righteousness, ye that seek the Lord: look unto the rock whence ye are hewn, and to the hole of the pit whence ye are digged. Look unto Abraham your father, and unto Sarah that bare you: for I called him alone, and blessed him, and increased him. Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. (Isaiah 51:1-2, Galatians 3:7, Hebrews 11:8, Hebrews 11:17,James 2:21-24, Romans 12:1)

The faith of Abraham was to leave his country, and his father's house and to go sojourn in a land waiting for the promise of God. This is a type of repentance. As the scriptures says "When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt." Truly, all the sons of God are called out of Egypt. From Israel, to Jesus and to all those who are called to be sons of God. For the latter, Egypt represents their past worldly lives. When they are called out they are made a holy(separate) people unto the Lord. (1 Peter 2:19) And, then Abraham's faith further and above and beyond this was that he was willing to sacrifice his son; knowing that God was able to raise him from the dead(Hebrews 11:19) so that the promise would be fulfilled. Likewise, we should present ourselves a living sacrifice, as he presented Isaac; so we can partake of the resurrection and receive the promise. "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." (Acts 2:38-39)