• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Faith of a Humanist

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
The Faith of a Humanist
Sarah Oelberg

Link here

I was first introduced to Humanism in kindergarten. Our Sunday school class had just sung "Jesus Loves Me" when our kindly Unitarian minister came in and told us how lovely our singing was. Then he asked what the song meant to us and he told us that it was a song about love-not the same kind of love that our parents give us, but a wonderful kind of love for everyone that a man named Jesus, now dead, tried to teach when he was alive. He told us that the Bible is a book that tells stories about some of the ways Jesus showed his love for people, and that there are also many other books that teach us about love. He said we do not belong to Jesus-maybe to our parents, but our bodies and our ideas can not be owned by anyone except ourselves. And he said that we should never think of ourselves as weak. For if we try, we can do and be almost anything we want. We do not need to have someone like Jesus look after us; we can take responsibility for our own lives and accomplish marvelous things.

This is such a sensible and simple philosophy that I remember it still, and I have followed it since. In that brief conversation with a group of children, the minister managed to cover the basic tenets of Humanism:

-Showing love to all humans is a worthy goal.
-Immortality is found in the examples we set and the work we do.
-We gain insight from many sources and all cultures, and there are many religious books and teachings that can instruct us about how to live.
-We have the power within ourselves to realize the best we are capable of as human beings.
-We are responsible for what we do and become; our lives are in our own hands.

However, I did not learn everything I needed to know about Humanism while in kindergarten. Through my years of religious education in various Unitarian churches, I felt the affirming love of a religion that had a deep concern for the worth and dignity of all people-including me. I learned to affirm and celebrate life in this world and to work for the betterment of the world and its people. I was nurtured by the feeling that I had the potential and the freedom to experience all kinds of things, to enjoy life and liberty, and to explore many different ideas. I was encouraged to use my mind, to question even the seemingly obvious, and to trust in my own experiences and perceptions.

As I became more involved in the world, I came to value many expressions of the human spirit and the power of human imagination. I appreciate art, music, poetry, drama, and literature. I came to realize that creativity is best nurtured in a climate of freedom where innovation is esteemed. I am glad to have a religion that encourages me to explore and express my aesthetic and sensual side, and to open my heart and mind to the fullness of life in all its aspects.

During the years of my formal education, I particularly valued that Humanism honors reason and encourages integrity. I liked that it invited me to think for myself, to explore, challenge, and doubt; to approach the important questions of life with an openness to new ideas and different perspectives; and then to test these ideas against reality, filter new knowledge through my own active mind, and believe according to the evidence. Humanism provided me with the "tools" I would use to pursue the "free and responsible search for truth and meaning." It invited me to ask about each idea, "Is it reasonable and responsible to believe this? Does it make sense in terms of what is known about the world and the universe?" This is not to suggest that we do not also learn and gain insights from intuition, hunches, flashes of inspiration, even emotion or unexplainable experiences-we do. But when making important decisions that will affect ourselves and others, it behooves us to test our perceptions against reality.

This testing led me to realize that we are all connected to the world, the cosmos, and everything therein. I discovered that Humanism teaches that our well-being and our very existence depend upon the web of life in ways we are only beginning to understand, that our place in nature has to be in harmony with it. Humanism leads me to find a sense of wider relatedness with all the world and its peoples, and it calls me to work for a sound environment and a humane civilization. Because everything is interconnected, I cannot be concerned with my own life and the future of humanity without also being concerned about the future of the planet.

My Humanist religion also prods me to consider the moral principles by which I should live. Humanist ethics, based on love and compassion for humankind and for nature, place the responsibility on humanity for shaping the destiny and future direction of the world. I am called to find my better self and to try to become the best person I can be. Humanism also makes me aware of the existence of moral dilemmas and the need to be very careful and intentional in my moral decision-making, for every decision and action has a consequence now and for the future. I am compelled by my own analysis of the world situation to become involved in service for the greater good of humanity, recognizing that things are changing so quickly that an open-ended approach to solving social problems is needed.

As I grow older, I appreciate more and more the need for a spiritual life. I find my spirituality mostly in using my intelligence and creativity to try to build an enduring peace and beauty in my life. My Humanist belief helps me to see that to be honest with myself, to face life openly, and to be loyal to high ideals is to be spiritual. There is a unique spark of divinity in each of us by virtue of our human endowment; we need only try to find it. My search for that spark within me gives me constant challenge and consoling calm.

Finally, I have come to respect the important role Humanist principles have played in history. From classical Greece through the Renaissance, the Enlightenment, and the modern age of science, there has been a grandeur in Humanism that has animated some of the most influential people and generated some of the most enduring ideals. I have been particularly inspired by the very Humanist sentiments of the women ministers in Iowa at the end of the last century, and I am proud to play a small part in continuing their legacy.

These are some of the things I have learned since kindergarten, and some of the reasons I am proud and happy to be a Unitarian Universalist Humanist. It is a religious perspective for those who are in love with life, and one that I embrace joyously.

The Rev. Sarah Oelberg is minister of the Nora Church Unitarian Universalist in Hanska, Minnesota and the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship in Mankato

Allan

A discussion point that I bring forward is that humanism to me doesn't explain the reality of how people act towards each other. The only way peace survives is when superior force is obvious and bad behaviour is not going to be tolerated.

The hope is the ruling power is benevolent.

I live my life peacefully but seem to provoke others into trying to take it away from me. I keep to myself generally but occasionally I have stand up for what I believe is right and act in the obvious best interest.

All types of human skills then are used by a perpetrator, from lying, threatening and personal attacks. And all this in the neighbourhood.

This is how the whole world is.

If a careful protected environment is operated within then eventually it will cease to exist.

I believe humans have been developed so that those who can hear the call will use all their power to enter the new frontier of the mind and conquer at the source all the conflict that appears now in the world reality.

The reward for doing this is future physical immortality although this is in a refined form.

Science is showing us more about the possibilty of increasing life span by manipulating human cells into regeneration. Perhaps it is human nature and all mental abilities that cause aging and sickness etc.

Living in peace is a goal worth achieving.
You may think you have done this in your own power but from experience when pressure comes into a persons life it causes reactions that are deeply embedded in the human mind. These could be hateful or even just pointed remarks or again strong opinions but if their full potential is realized these could become physical in the form of murder and I don't want to go over the other horrible manifestations do that occur.

jeremy.swenson

that was a very good read

being from an area that is so covered in christian churches the goth kids at my school are still 'christian' I unfortunatly was not made aware of this philosophy until WAY after kindergarten, and I learned it from books and online since no one I knew in person was comfortable talking about the idea of living based on something other than following Jesus to go to heaven.

Pah

Uber all member
There is so much humanism established in other faiths that, to me, it becomes a universal motivation or activating factor for spirituality.

Bob

robtex

Veteran Member
Maize I want to isolate one qoute from your awsome post.

"We are responsible for what we do and become; our lives are in our own hands. "

which was the last one listed. It was ironic that that was taught that day after talking about Jesus Christ because the message of Christanity is polular to that inasfar as it says that our life is in God's hands.

I don't want to change the tune of this tread by going any further but it was something I notice right off the bat.

ayani

that was a very good read, Maize!

it opened me up see that "secular" does not have to mean "devoid or awe" or "spirit-less".

there is much of both to be found within humans!

jrbogie

The Faith of a Humanist
Sarah Oelberg

Link here

I was first introduced to Humanism in kindergarten. Our Sunday school class had just sung "Jesus Loves Me" when our kindly Unitarian minister came in and told us how lovely our singing was. Then he asked what the song meant to us and he told us that it was a song about love-not the same kind of love that our parents give us, but a wonderful kind of love for everyone that a man named Jesus, now dead, tried to teach when he was alive. He told us that the Bible is a book that tells stories about some of the ways Jesus showed his love for people, and that there are also many other books that teach us about love. He said we do not belong to Jesus-maybe to our parents, but our bodies and our ideas can not be owned by anyone except ourselves. And he said that we should never think of ourselves as weak. For if we try, we can do and be almost anything we want. We do not need to have someone like Jesus look after us; we can take responsibility for our own lives and accomplish marvelous things.

This is such a sensible and simple philosophy that I remember it still, and I have followed it since. In that brief conversation with a group of children, the minister managed to cover the basic tenets of Humanism:

-Showing love to all humans is a worthy goal.
-Immortality is found in the examples we set and the work we do.
-We gain insight from many sources and all cultures, and there are many religious books and teachings that can instruct us about how to live.
-We have the power within ourselves to realize the best we are capable of as human beings.
-We are responsible for what we do and become; our lives are in our own hands.

However, I did not learn everything I needed to know about Humanism while in kindergarten. Through my years of religious education in various Unitarian churches, I felt the affirming love of a religion that had a deep concern for the worth and dignity of all people-including me. I learned to affirm and celebrate life in this world and to work for the betterment of the world and its people. I was nurtured by the feeling that I had the potential and the freedom to experience all kinds of things, to enjoy life and liberty, and to explore many different ideas. I was encouraged to use my mind, to question even the seemingly obvious, and to trust in my own experiences and perceptions.

As I became more involved in the world, I came to value many expressions of the human spirit and the power of human imagination. I appreciate art, music, poetry, drama, and literature. I came to realize that creativity is best nurtured in a climate of freedom where innovation is esteemed. I am glad to have a religion that encourages me to explore and express my aesthetic and sensual side, and to open my heart and mind to the fullness of life in all its aspects.

During the years of my formal education, I particularly valued that Humanism honors reason and encourages integrity. I liked that it invited me to think for myself, to explore, challenge, and doubt; to approach the important questions of life with an openness to new ideas and different perspectives; and then to test these ideas against reality, filter new knowledge through my own active mind, and believe according to the evidence. Humanism provided me with the "tools" I would use to pursue the "free and responsible search for truth and meaning." It invited me to ask about each idea, "Is it reasonable and responsible to believe this? Does it make sense in terms of what is known about the world and the universe?" This is not to suggest that we do not also learn and gain insights from intuition, hunches, flashes of inspiration, even emotion or unexplainable experiences-we do. But when making important decisions that will affect ourselves and others, it behooves us to test our perceptions against reality.

This testing led me to realize that we are all connected to the world, the cosmos, and everything therein. I discovered that Humanism teaches that our well-being and our very existence depend upon the web of life in ways we are only beginning to understand, that our place in nature has to be in harmony with it. Humanism leads me to find a sense of wider relatedness with all the world and its peoples, and it calls me to work for a sound environment and a humane civilization. Because everything is interconnected, I cannot be concerned with my own life and the future of humanity without also being concerned about the future of the planet.

My Humanist religion also prods me to consider the moral principles by which I should live. Humanist ethics, based on love and compassion for humankind and for nature, place the responsibility on humanity for shaping the destiny and future direction of the world. I am called to find my better self and to try to become the best person I can be. Humanism also makes me aware of the existence of moral dilemmas and the need to be very careful and intentional in my moral decision-making, for every decision and action has a consequence now and for the future. I am compelled by my own analysis of the world situation to become involved in service for the greater good of humanity, recognizing that things are changing so quickly that an open-ended approach to solving social problems is needed.

As I grow older, I appreciate more and more the need for a spiritual life. I find my spirituality mostly in using my intelligence and creativity to try to build an enduring peace and beauty in my life. My Humanist belief helps me to see that to be honest with myself, to face life openly, and to be loyal to high ideals is to be spiritual. There is a unique spark of divinity in each of us by virtue of our human endowment; we need only try to find it. My search for that spark within me gives me constant challenge and consoling calm.

Finally, I have come to respect the important role Humanist principles have played in history. From classical Greece through the Renaissance, the Enlightenment, and the modern age of science, there has been a grandeur in Humanism that has animated some of the most influential people and generated some of the most enduring ideals. I have been particularly inspired by the very Humanist sentiments of the women ministers in Iowa at the end of the last century, and I am proud to play a small part in continuing their legacy.

These are some of the things I have learned since kindergarten, and some of the reasons I am proud and happy to be a Unitarian Universalist Humanist. It is a religious perspective for those who are in love with life, and one that I embrace joyously.

The Rev. Sarah Oelberg is minister of the Nora Church Unitarian Universalist in Hanska, Minnesota and the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship in Mankato

faith has no role in humanism and i disagree with referring to humanism as a religion. from the institute of humanist studies:

Humanism in brief

Humanism is a philosophy of life inspired by humanity and guided by reason. It provides the basis for a fulfilling and ethical life without religion.
  • Humanists make sense of the world using reason, experience and shared human values.
  • Humanists see no convincing evidence for gods, the supernatural, or life after death.
  • Humanists believe that moral values are properly founded on human empathy and scientific understanding.
  • Humanists believe we must live this life on the basis that it is the only life we'll have -- that, therefore, we must make the most of it for ourselves, each other, and our world.
Humanist philosophies have arisen separately in many different cultures over many thousands of years. Whether or not they use the term humanism, tens of millions of Americans and hundreds of millions of people around the world agree with the humanist philosophy of living a happy and productive life based on reason and compassion.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
jrbogie is bang on here. Humanism is an atheistic construct in which to guide morality. Religion has moral guidelines built into it. Atheism is merely a belief God does not exist. It has no moral guidelines readily attached to it in the same way not believing in magic pixies does not have a guideline for morality. This is where humanism comes in. It allows secular people to have a non-faith-based moral structure without reference to deities and is based on evidence, logic, and reason. As such it is infinitely better than any morality any religion could offer.

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
jrbogie is bang on here. Humanism is an atheistic construct in which to guide morality. Religion has moral guidelines built into it. Atheism is merely a belief God does not exist. It has no moral guidelines readily attached to it in the same way not believing in magic pixies does not have a guideline for morality. This is where humanism comes in. It allows secular people to have a non-faith-based moral structure without reference to deities and is based on evidence, logic, and reason. As such it is infinitely better than any morality any religion could offer.

Why can't a religion have a morality system based in empiricism, logic, psychology, etc? Am I to understand that what separates religion from philosophy is a distinction born entirely out of means? If by religion one means an institution, an organized body advocating of worship/deference for "otherworldly" factors/agents, then I suppose it is hardly possible. But Deists are often found part and parcel with natural philosophy; you'd be hard pressed to convince me that a Buddhist (or something similar to one) is mutually exclusive with a reasoned approach to life.

I am not willing to go so far as to say I believe "Enlightenment" is certainly possible, but I am willing to entertain the possibility. It is a kind of "god of the gaps" sort of thing, only instead of something outside of us it is something inside of us. Charting human progress only tells us what was possible; it doesn't tell us what will be possible. So is it possible that somewhere deep inside the human brain, somewhere in the relationships of mind-body-cosmos that humans can achieve greater perspective or even senses (the range of possibilities for senses are virtually endless: magnetism, gravity, light in other spectra other than visible, hyper-dimensional senses...)? Maybe. But ask yourselves: Would this really be so bad?

Worst case scenario: everyone espousing the belief that enlightenment is possible is wrong. But if in the process they manage to convince people to meditate more often, cultivate a personality which unconditionally loves other people and their self, and introspect on what kind of person they are/who they want to be, then I would not count their doctrine a failure.

In my views somewhere down the line the separation between mysticism, psychology, and philosophy will have to become a matter of degrees not a practical matter or one of implementation. We are just as woefully ignorant of the depths of human potential as we are of the depths of this cosmos. And I think if I had to choose between a future for humanity wherein we are an immature (in terms of psyche) race bound for the stars & a mature race planet bound for a considerable time, then I would gladly choose the latter.

The consequences of failure only get higher the more advanced we become. Collapse a star and whole solar systems can be wiped out. I will grant that I do not think much of modern religions enhance our maturity as a species, but I would think it remiss to ignore the underlying benefits that religions do have to the point that we would ignore their implementation in the long term. And I would think that humanism (in its essence) would be about embracing everything that is human for the better.

MTF

MSizer

MSizer
Why can't a religion have a morality system based in empiricism, logic, psychology, etc?

Because religion is an old practice that developped before we had psychology. I agree with you 100% that the ideal way to establish moral codes is to base them on empiricism, logic, psychology (particularly social psychology IMO)... but there are far too many humans who are superstitious and who lack the education to let that become the norm. I think religion can be credited with providing literature and practices that lend themselves to moral behaviour, so in that sense, I think we should be thankful for what religion has facilitated in history. But, I think we now have means to look beyond the constraints people had in the past (their lack of information). Of course, all you have to do is mention to somebody that if they even think about morality as being separate from god they'll damn their soul for eternity and it's over - to them, morality comes from god no matter what we say.

Mr Cheese

Because religion is an old practice that developped before we had psychology. .

Um religion has had psychology for thousands of years

modern psychology is merely a new interpretation of that which has been going of for fousands of years

:sarcastic Just look at the gita for one.

Humanism is all very admirable...
but it is for those that refuse to go beyond logic and reason.
There is a difference between describing and discussing sex
and actually having sex.

Mr Cheese

I think putting psychology forward as religion does a disservice to both.

Well if you dig deep into Jung thats what he did....

relegating most of religion to the psyche, collective or individual....

All I meant was religion has had psychology for thousands of years, not that religion was/is psychology.

I think that is a large problem with psychology, that it tends to reduce religion and religious/spiritual experiences, realities and truths to simply being a part of the psyche (again individual or collective).

Of course that is correct on some level...
But arguably, there is a whole lote more