• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The example Jesus set...

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
The goal is "to be a good son/daughter," but you can't tell me what that statement means. So you don't have a clear goal, either.
I use Confucianism myself for molding how I treat my father.in Confucianism, There’s a lot of philosophical thought put into the questions you are asking.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Jesus Christ was simply a good son, good brother, and a hard worker for His first 30 years of life. He only spent His last three years preaching.
In order to be a good CHRISTian, we ought to focus on being a good son/daughter before anything else.
These days, whenever I hear people talking about Jesus's example, I immediately think of Carrie Poppy's response to the question "what would Jesus do?"

"Hate figs?"

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Jesus Christ was simply a good son, good brother, and a hard worker for His first 30 years of life. He only spent His last three years preaching.
In order to be a good CHRISTian, we ought to focus on being a good son/daughter before anything else.

To me, Jesus brought up the idea of equality. Something we are still working on.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My wife reacted when I called her "mom" once because of a mom-like sentence ("be careful") she directed at me. It's a dangerous piece of advice you gave there.
Ya, I hear ya. :D

BTW, I call my wife "Nona" [grandma in Italian], but she only hits me once in a while. ;)

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Why is that necessarily a good thing?
I make my argument for why this is generally a good thing mainly from a Confucian perspective. When I first read the texts of Confucianism, that’s when I began to ponder Jesus’s first thirty years.
I can’t elaborate the reasoning behind it very well but I’ll try.
Confucianism is a socio-political philosophy. It taught that social order could be achieved globally, if people were but good children to their parents. A child who respects the authority of their parents would respect the authority the emperor/ the supreme deity. In the modern sense, we’d want our children to respect the authority of God.
If you are a good son, then you could be a good neighbor, and it goes from there, until you’ve positively affected the whole world by being a good son.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
respect the authority the emperor/ the supreme deity.
Why is that a good thing? Often times these figures rule through might, are not democratically elected, and have absolute power.
Why should absolute power be respected?
In the modern sense, we’d want our children to respect the authority of God.
No, I wouldn't. If I had kids I'd rather they be independent thinkers and have no need of turning to authority for guidance, and I especially would not want them respecting authority as a default position.
If you are a good son, then you could be a good neighbor, and it goes from there, until you’ve positively affected the whole world by being a good son.
Nah. I'm a rebellious daughter, my parents disapprove, we argue a lot, butt heads regularly. I treat the neighbors better than I treat my parents (and from my end, most others treat me better than my parents).
So, again, why is this supposed to be a good thing?