• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The example Jesus set...

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Jesus Christ was simply a good son, good brother, and a hard worker for His first 30 years of life. He only spent His last three years preaching.
In order to be a good CHRISTian, we ought to focus on being a good son/daughter before anything else.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The lads might have something to say about his being a good son...

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
What does that mean?
If we cannot be a good son/daughter, how can we hope to achieve anything greater than that, in life?
I’m just saying I think that generally our priorities should be refocused from spreading our religious beliefs. We should instead focus on our personal relationships in our lives, first. I think Jesus set that precedent.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If we cannot be a good son/daughter, how can we hope to achieve anything greater than that, in life?
I’m just saying I think that generally our priorities should be refocused from spreading our religious beliefs. We should instead focus on our personal relationships in our lives, first. I think Jesus set that precedent.
He ran away. He ditched his mother and they had to beg him to come home then he basically disowned her. His family thought he'd lost his mind.

Maybe that's putting it dramatically, but he certainly doesn't seem to have been the best behaved.

AlexanderG

Jesus Christ was simply a good son, good brother, and a hard worker for His first 30 years of life. He only spent His last three years preaching.
In order to be a good CHRISTian, we ought to focus on being a good son/daughter before anything else.

Ok...but didn't Jesus supposedly say, "If you come to me but will not leave your family, you cannot be my follower. You must love me more than your father, mother, wife, children, brothers, and sisters—even more than your own life!" So if I were a Christian that personally didn't want to "be a good son/daughter before anything else" and instead abandon my parents, I could just ignore your interpretation and assure myself that the Bible says the opposite.

And that's how Christianity works. Whatever your personality subjectively inclines you to value, you can interpret the Bible consistently with that worldview. Hence the 40,000+ distinct denominations.

So yeah, I think we should all have happy healthy family relationships in an ideal world, but I don't think Christianity particularly helps with that. You can interpret it that way if you want, or not. A central message of the Bible seems to be that perfect love is based on unquestionable authority and fear of violent punishment, and I do think that's objectively a terrible way to run a family but unfortunately we see a lot of Christians running their families on this model.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
He ran away. He ditched his mother and they had to beg him to come home then he basically disowned her. His family thought he'd lost his mind.

Maybe that's putting it dramatically, but he certainly doesn't seem to have been the best behaved.
At the end of thirty years, when He went on to fulfill His purpose, perhaps it could be said he abandoned His earthly family. But He also abandoned His whole life entirely, and as Christians, we don’t see that as bad. For three years, 10% of His life, He was serving all of humanity. For 90%, He served His family.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Ok...but didn't Jesus supposedly say, "If you come to me but will not leave your family, you cannot be my follower. You must love me more than your father, mother, wife, children, brothers, and sisters—even more than your own life!" So if I were a Christian that personally didn't want to "be a good son/daughter before anything else" and instead abandon my parents, I could just ignore your interpretation and assure myself that the Bible says the opposite.
Well in the end Jesus did leave his family to serve God...

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
At the end of thirty years, when He went on to fulfill His purpose, perhaps it could be said he abandoned His earthly family. But He also abandoned His whole life entirely, and as Christians, we don’t see that as bad. For three years, 10% of His life, He was serving all of humanity. For 90%, He served His family.
He ran away as a 12 y/o and his parents were frantic. That's not good behaviour.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
He ran away as a 12 y/o and his parents were frantic. That's not good behaviour.
And other than that? And kid Jesus explained to them that He was serving His father (God), so it was a result of Him being a good Child to His father, literal God. Perhaps Jesus/God needed to impart some wisdom on the wise men of the temple. Even as a kid, Jesus fulfilled his Heavenly ministry in this case.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
And other than that? And kid Jesus explained to them that He was serving His father (God), so it was a result of Him being a good Child to His father, literal God. Perhaps Jesus/God needed to impart some wisdom on the wise men of the temple. Even as a kid, Jesus fulfilled his Heavenly ministry in this case.
We don't know since it's not written, so that would be a no-win discussion for anyone. I just don't personally think Jesus is the best example of a person.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

What I'm asking is, what does it mean to be a "good" son/daughter?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
What I'm asking is, what does it mean to be a "good" son/daughter?
I’m not entirely sure. That’s still something I’m figuring out myself and got to get better at. I think basic moral principles can be applied to the parent-child relationship. It’s something that everyone has to figure out in relation to their own parents, how they could best serve them. It’s this submissiveness, perhaps?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m not entirely sure. That’s still something I’m figuring out myself and got to get better at. I think basic moral principles can be applied to the parent-child relationship. It’s something that everyone has to figure out in relation to their own parents, how they could best serve them. It’s this submissiveness, perhaps?

If you're not sure what it means, then it's an odd principle to assert as the primary one, I'd think.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
The goal is "to be a good son/daughter," but you can't tell me what that statement means. So you don't have a clear goal, either.
I know how to be a good son to my father. I don’t know how you could be a good son to yours. That is what I mean