• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Evolution Of Religion

Paraprakrti

Custom User
jewscout said:
It's not so much not believing in an afterlife, but it's just not something that most jews concern themselves with.
I can definitely appreciate that. To devote oneself to God without seeking a reward in the afterlife gets my highest respect.

Paraprakrti

Custom User
arthra said:
How i see it as a Baha'i is that there is such a thing as Progressive Revelation over time...that is, God reveals Himself as people have capacity and that capacity in my view has grown over the centuries and epochs of time...

Jesus said:

"I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now"

- John 16:12

Religion or Divine Revelation is like a Tree at first vibrant and growing then in time fracturing and splitting into sects and parties.... this is a great challenge facing people today to apprecite the divine origin of religion and rise above prejudices and sectarianism.

- Art
If being optimistic in such a way motivates one to try and bring people closer to God, then I have no discrepancy. Nevertheless, proof that people are declining is in the fact that they are so divided. I believe that religion is divided because people are divided. Divine Revelation did not need to branch off like a tree. It did so to accomodate the people of this age of Kali (age of quarrel).

chuck010342

jewscout said:
Did he give the interpretation that you don't have to obey the commandment of observing the Sabbath? (Matt. 12:8)

He had the intepretation that the Sabbath is for man and not for God. The Sabbath is a day of rest it is for us to rest on from our work.

chuck010342

SoulTYPE01 said:
How will you show him this chuck?

Let me give you a hypothetical dialouge.

Evolutionist: I hear that you don't believe in evolution.

Me: Nope I don't

Evolutionist: You don't? I don't see How can you, an intelligent person, can not believe in evolution?

Me: I don't see how you as an intelligent person can believe it?

Evolutionist: You don't see how millions of years of evolution formed us into our beings.

Me: your telling me that Time+matter+chance= your brain. If your telling me that if evolution is true then there can be no such thing as truth? right?

Evolutionist: huh?

Me: oooohh you know time the thing that always changes. Its not the same time NOW as it is............................................Now. You know, matter with all the chemicals, and electrons moving around constantly changing. and chance is NOTHING, chance is not a thing. You cannot look out the window and say there goes chance flying by. Chance is a concept not a thing. So when you have all these things that are constantly changing they made your brain. So there are no absolutes and there is no truth. Right?

Evolutionist: I would have to agree that there are no absolutes

Me: if there are no absolutes then how do you know that time+matter+chance= your brain?

Evolutionist: .........My disicpline is science and not philosophy (he walks away)

Me: (thinks to himself) I believe it was Albert Eistein who said "us scientists make horrible philosophers."

This dialouge I borrowed from www.rzim.org

Pah

Uber all member
chuck010342 said:
if you would like to argue for the evolutionist I would love that
My second statement would be a question - Then what do you believe was the beggining of life?

chuck010342

pah said:
My second statement would be a question - Then what do you believe was the beggining of life?

I don't believe I know, and the beggining of life is when God created the animals and humans

Pah

Uber all member
chuck010342 said:
I don't believe I know, and the beggining of life is when God created the animals and humans
I didn't ask when, I asked how You don't know and the dialogue is over.

Bob

Oh wow! that was way off topic. You certainly are a "sly devil", Chuck.

Religion began it's life when the congregating of humans reached a point where the numbers of humans in the group required a social order. Religion grew with the growth of government.

Bob

chuck010342

pah said:
I didn't ask when, I asked how You don't know and the dialogue is over.

Okay then, The beggining of life is God.

pah said:
Religion began it's life when the congregating of humans reached a point where the numbers of humans in the group required a social order.
Religion grew with the growth of government.

Bob
[/QUOTE]
And you know this based on??

Pah

Uber all member
chuck010342 said:
Okay then, The beggining of life is God.
You had your chance in this off-topic exercise. The dialogue is over

"Religion began it's life when the congregating of humans reached a point where the numbers of humans in the group required a social order.
Religion grew with the growth of government."

And you know this based on??
I read The Science of Good and Evil by Michael Shermer. It happened when Tribes formed from a merging of kinship bands about 5,000 to 10,000 years ago. The Old Testament would confirm that. Social order, 10,000 to 100,000, years ago was acheived in bands of familial members because they were smaller (10 to about 200 members) and people knew one another. A band formed in about 5 or 6 generations from a single couple.

Morality preceded religion in bands and codification of morality was acheived in tribes (often a population of thousands).

Bob

chuck010342

pah said:
"Religion began it's life when the congregating of humans reached a point where the numbers of humans in the group required a social order.

No Religion grew out of people who had a relationship with God

pah said:
I read The Science of Good and Evil by Michael Shermer.

So I should trust Michael Shermer over the infalable word of God?. I Think the bible has the correct history here.

pah said:
It happened when Tribes formed from a merging of kinship bands about 5,000 to 10,000 years ago. The Old Testament would confirm that.

and where exactly would it confirm this?

pah said:
Social order, 10,000 to 100,000, years ago was acheived in bands of familial members because they were smaller (10 to about 200 members) and people knew one another. A band formed in about 5 or 6 generations from a single couple.

The earth is only about 6,000 years old so I don't think that this can be right. A certian religion probably was formed withing small groups of people but not before the first religion was in exsistance

Pah

Uber all member
chuck010342 said:
No Religion grew out of people who had a relationship with God
The earth is only about 6,000 years old so I don't think that this can be right. A certian religion probably was formed withing small groups of people but not before the first religion was in exsistance
I think I see your problem - You take an article of faith as fact. The danger of that "literalness" is that proven fact can sometimes shake your faith. I've never understood the YEC blindness to scientific fact.

Bob

chuck010342

pah said:
I think I see your problem - You take an article of faith as fact.

Jesus said "I am the way, The Truth, and the life." Rather then Believe I know.

pah said:
The danger of that "literalness" is that proven fact can sometimes shake your faith. I've never understood the YEC blindness to scientific fact.

Bob

a proven fact is often unproven by true science

Pah

Uber all member
chuck010342 said:

a proven fact is often unproven by true science
So many words - so many ambiguities.

Bob

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
chuck010342 said:
if you would like to argue for the evolutionist I would love that
There are others who are much more interested in that argument than me. My point is simply what I stated. It's easy enough to win an argument with an imaginary opponent. Funny how we never imagine our opponents to be quite as clever as they are in reality. Hollow victory and indicative of nothing.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
chuck010342 said:
No, the author of John wrote a dialogue in which the main character says this to a supporting one over a half century earlier.

chuck010342 said:
Rather then Believe I know.
No, you believe.