• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Evolution Of Religion

Khale

As people evolve throughout the ages in body and mind so has their religion sometimes the changes are small, such as how an individual law is to be enforced. Sometimes the changes are large, such as a change in God(s). As the years go on religions will continue to evolve, if they don't, they will cease to exist.

While evolution of religion is necessary for the survival of religion it does bring up a problem. If there is a true religion will it eventually evolve to the point where it is no longer the true religion?

chuck010342

Khale said:
As people evolve throughout the ages in body and mind so has their religion sometimes the changes are small, such as how an individual law is to be enforced.

this statement has a false premise; people DO NOT EVOLVE

Khale said:
Sometimes the changes are large, such as a change in God(s). As the years go on religions will continue to evolve, if they don't, they will cease to exist.

religions sometimes evolve into something different then the orignal teaching. WHich would qualify them as heresies. Which would make them not true, and therefore they cannot be the truth with regards to religion.

While evolution of religion is necessary for the survival of religion[/quote]

no it isn't. Atheism hasn't evolved and its still around. The followers of the way have not evolved and they are still around.

Khale said:
If there is a true religion will it eventually evolve to the point where it is no longer the true religion?

there is a true religion that was right the first time.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
You're a real piece of work, Chuck.

Even I couldn't have taken evolution in the context you did and avoid the message behind the Big Bad E Word.

Circle_One

no it isn't. Atheism hasn't evolved and its still around. The followers of the way have not evolved and they are still around.
But isn't Atheism the lack of religion? If so, that wouldn't make it, within itself, a religion and so could not be used here as an example.

chuck010342

yes Jensa but I don't think Khale was taking it out of context he said "When people evolve" and yes I really do see it as a big bad E word its just I know Evolution is not true and I can prove it.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
people DO NOT EVOLVE
:sarcastic :areyoucra
moving on...
I think religions will evolve as our understanding of the universe changes, however, those that stand the test of time will be those who continue to hold thier core beliefs.

chuck010342

Athiesm is a religion because Athiesm has a belife system and a religion is simple that a belife system. Buddhism also says there is no God but they follow a system therefore it is also considered a religion. Atheism says "there is no God" Atheism does not say that there are no laws or systems of belief

Khale

chuck010342 said:
this statement has a false premise; people DO NOT EVOLVE
Yes, people do evolve in both body in mind. Ideas change over the years along with what is socially acceptable/unacceptable. It used to be that keeping a black person as slave was acceptable, if not encouraged. Do you think that would go over well with people today?

People also change in body. You should at the very least be able to agree with micro-evolution, correct? If not I have a news flash for you. If a black person has sex with a black person they will have a black child. If everyone that is not black stops having sex with each other there will only be black people left. There, evolution in action. As for macro-evolution there is quite a lot of evidence supporting it. While it may not ever be a hundred percent true it will probably be 99.99% true if it's not already.

chuck010342 said:
religions sometimes evolve into something different then the orignal teaching. WHich would qualify them as heresies. Which would make them not true, and therefore they cannot be the truth with regards to religion.
You probably didn't catch this, but when I used the example for Large changes I was referring to Christianity. Christianity in case you haven't noticed is an offshoot of Judaism which, by your logic, makes it a heresy.

chuck010342 said:
If you are to consider Atheism a religion (Despite it being a lack of religion) then their set of beliefs would probably be morality and science. Since those have evolved over the years it can be said that Atheism has evolved.

As I stated before Christianity is reformed (drastically so) Judaism. So whatever your true religion is, it sure as hell isn't one led by Jesus.

Khale

jewscout said:
I think religions will evolve as our understanding of the universe changes, however, those that stand the test of time will be those who continue to hold thier core beliefs.
I think I agree with you on this. Change in religion has always been a bit of an irk to me. I feel that man is creating the religion bereft of God. Looking at it the way you stated it makes sense as to how it can change and still remain a true religion. Thanks.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Chuck said:

Deut said:
*dances the my 'primitive' religion is best dance*

anyway, all religion changes with the times. The religion of the bible is not the same as the religions decended from the bible today. Successive generations add thier interpretations and twists on the faith to make it relevent to them in thier day and age. This is a good thing, it keeps religion vital and alive. Small changes in dogma accumulate over centuries and give you the wonderful variety of religion we have today. 900 denominations of Christianity for example.

wa:do

cardero

Citizen Mod
I think the evolution of religion will revolutionalize the revelation. Though some may consider it a major breakthrough most will see it for what it really is-a 500 mile walk backwards. I am of course referring to the awareness that GOD is everywhere and is available to everyone and is accessible to approach and direct our questions to. It will truly BE a "I could've had a V8" moment.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
chuck010342 said:
Buddhism also says there is no God but they follow a system therefore it is also considered a religion.
Actually, Buddhists differ on the issue of if there is a god or not, because it's not deemed as important to ending suffering in this life. So, yes some Buddhists would be atheists but some are open to the idea of a "god".

I believe Atheism is a religion, but my definition of an Atheist is not one who lacks religion, but one who does not believe in a god. There's a difference. I believe all people have a religion, even if their beliefs are not defined into an organized religion as we know it.

SoulTYPE

Maize said:
I believe all people have a religion, even if their beliefs are not defined into an organized religion as we know it.
How so.

And there are many "unorganized religions".

SoulTYPE

Are you asking me what I think religion is, or what religion is to others? You may visit RF's main page
and it states "We classify religion as...."

I think religion can be any type of material or idol worship, with or without God.

meogi

chuck said:
Buddhism also says there is no God but they follow a system therefore it is also considered a religion.
Buddhism says there are lots of gods... maybe not a creator god, but many gods none the less. These gods are generally a karmic return of anyone with are large amount of good karma, where they just kinda sit around in perfection until they die. Yes, die... generally to be reborn as some lowly creature, like a bug or animal - because they just used up most of their karma being a god.