• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Evolution Fairy Tail

Ceridwen018

I posted in the guestbook.

I couldn't help myself.

I did offer to debate him though, and I actually posted in reference to another debate that he had...hopefully he'll take the bait... ;)

robtex

Veteran Member
Very creative....with a creative side like that maybe he is thinking too small. I am thinking this guy should be inventing his own gods and starting his own religion....this fella has got charisma, writing skills and imagination.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I thought the exploding giraffe was funny, other then that it just succeeded in showing the author's lack of evolutionary understanding - they seem to be under the impression that evolution works in leaps and bounds, like one day a giraffe is born with a long neck but no regulatory valves, they don't seem to grasp that physical characteristics evolve gradually and are often coupled.

standing_on_one_foot

I always do like the argument that "many important scientists were Christians several hundred years ago, therefore evolution is false and creationism is right!" that I see popping up...

Ceridwen018

These kinds of things get me really frustrated sometimes, but I am quickly consoled when I realize that these people will most likely be eaten first when the aliens come. Heh heh heh.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
I'm starting to get something here. There are only 'X' number of known elements in the Universe right? The periodic table.

Do you remember the word game: How many words can you make with these letters "Life in the Universe"? Then you would make a list of all the words you could from the letters in the given statement.

And also DNA, how many different variations can you get from a specific number of genes?

When I look at evolution in this way I come to the conclusion that Bread evolved to Cake.:jiggy:

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
EnhancedSpirit said:
I'm starting to get something here. There are only 'X' number of known elements in the Universe right? The periodic table.
I think new ones are still being discovered, plus in other solar system there may be different elements, depends on the type of sun they have, i think.

EnhancedSpirit said:
And also DNA, how many different variations can you get from a specific number of genes?
Look around you, the variations between all the different life forms on Earth are genetic in origin, fact. The number of genes that can possibly be made using the four nucleotides is unknown at present, but i'd guess so many it might as well be infinite.

EnhancedSpirit said:
When I look at evolution in this way I come to the conclusion that Bread evolved to Cake.:jiggy:
Well, cake is a type of bread, so yes you're right :jiggy: .

DC85

I have talked to this guy before he has no will to debate... He only wants to spew crap... I refuted every one of those cute things and he has yet to fix them...

Tawn

Halcyon said:
I think new ones are still being discovered, plus in other solar system there may be different elements, depends on the type of sun they have, i think.
No no. Unless were discussing multi-dimensional theory, anywhere else in the known universe should have the same basic ingredients our corner does.
They should still have the same elements.

The periodic table has in theory no upper limit. However, as we get larger and larger elements they become more and more unstable..

There may be a limited number of elements that can be naturally created in the universe.. however I think youll find the scope for combining these elements to be staggering. Its not like the word game at all, since the word game is limited by the number of words in existence in the language you use. How many words do you know that use 50+ letters? With molecules of elements there is (theoretically) no upper limit. Hydro-Carbon chains can be massive.

anders

Tawn said:
The periodic table has in theory no upper limit. However, as we get larger and larger elements they become more and more unstable.
In principle, yes*. But several scientists think that it might be possible to create high-mass stable elements. And on molecules, it is theoretically not impossible that other galaxies harbour silicon based life chemistries rather than carbon based ones like ours.

* Try http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Radio%20Yerevan or, if you know German, http://www.familie-ahlers.de/witze/radio_eriwan.html (example: Is it true that God can become a Party member? - In principle, yes, but first he has to resign his church membership.)

Pah

Uber all member
I like this from the bio

The primary area of expertise that I bring to the creation/evolution debate is via information science. I have designed communications-rich systems in one form or another over the last 21+ years. It was this knowledge and experience that eventually led me to the conclusion that Neo-Darwinism was not merely improbable, but impossible.

I wonder if any of his systems ever worked????? :biglaugh:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
anders said:
And on molecules, it is theoretically not impossible that other galaxies harbour silicon based life chemistries rather than carbon based ones like ours.
The "theoretically not impossible" is a rather unimpressive class open to a near unbounded collection of absurdities. Furthermore ...
Conceivably, some strange life-forms might be built from silicone-like substances were it not for an apparently fatal flaw in silicon's biological credentials. This is its powerful affinity for oxygen. When carbon is oxidized during the respiratory process of a terrestrial organism (see respiration), it becomes the gas carbon dioxide-a waste material that is easy for a creature to remove from its body. The oxidation of silicon, however, yields a solid because, immediately upon formation, silicon dioxide organizes itself into a lattice in which each silicon atom is surrounded by four oxygens. Disposing of such a substance would pose a major respiratory challenge.

Life-forms must also be able to collect, store, and utilize energy from their environment. In carbon-based biota, the basic energy storage compounds are carbohydrates in which the carbon atoms are linked by single bonds into a chain. A carbohydrate is oxidized to release energy (and the waste products water and carbon dioxide) in a series of controlled steps using enzymes. These enzymes are large, complex molecules (see proteins) which catalyze specific reactions because of their shape and "handedness." A feature of carbon chemistry is that many of its compounds can take right and left forms, and it is this handedness, or chirality, that gives enzymes their ability to recognize and regulate a huge variety of processes in the body. Silicon's failure to give rise to many compounds that display handedness makes it hard to see how it could serve as the basis for the many interconnected chains of reactions needed to support life.

The absence of silicon-based biology, or even silicon-based prebiotic chemicals, is also suggested by astronomical evidence. Wherever astronomers have looked - in meteorites, in comets, in the atmospheres of the giant planets, in the interstellar medium, and in the outer layers of cool stars - they have found molecules of oxidized silicon (silicon dioxide and silicates) but no substances such as silanes or silicones which might be the precursors of a silicon biochemistry. [silicon-based life]

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ceridwen018 said:
These kinds of things get me really frustrated sometimes, but I am quickly consoled when I realize that these people will most likely be eaten first when the aliens come. Heh heh heh.
Thanks, Ceridwen,

I'll remember to use that approach when I get 'wound up' about things; you could market that idea, you realize! "The new way of coping with Stress" - by Ceridwen !!:jiggy: