• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Eucharist and Commandment to not drink Blood

74x12

I would tend to agree it is symbolic - that's always been my position. That said, verses like this are a bit more forceful on the matter:

John 6:53-59 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” 59 He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.​

I wouldn't mind doing a more in depth study of such verses
Yes, do it. He means He is real spiritual food and drink.

That's why the Psalmist says "taste" and see the Lord is good. (Psalm 34:8)

And the Spirit is very bold by Isaiah:

Isaiah 55:1-2
55 Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.
2 Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness.

You see, God says that what we think is bread isn't. And God asks why do we even work for our physical food which never can satisfy the soul?

The bread and the wine God has for us will satisfy the hungry and the thirsty. But the full soul loathes the honeycomb. We shouldn't be full on our own ways and doctrines. Because to the hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet.

Crave what God can give us and He will fill us up. This is what Jesus meant in the Beatitudes.

Matthew 5:6
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

John 6:51
I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

In the last supper Jesus broke the bread and gave it to His disciples. It is symbolic of His body being broken and given for the life of the world.

iam1me

When John is made up, there wasn't turning water into wine.

None of the Synoptic Gospels record this particular miracle, true. However, in all of them Jesus drinks wine.

Luke 7:33-34 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, ‘He has a demon.’ 34 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’

There is no death in the Messianic Age, and alcohol is rotten fruit.

A fruit isn't a life. Fruit is something that some plants produce as part of their reproductive cycles. A grape in particular isn't a life - but merely a product of the grape vine, the actual plant. The design is that that fruit will fall to the ground, or better yet be eaten, and the seeds dispersed.

The Last Supper did not contain the Eucharist; Yeshua showed to share the showbread in remembrance, similar to an Essene passover, and he told his disciples not to drink wine again after.

As saying John, and Paul established the drinking of wine as part of the Eucharist; which is a direct defilement of the Law.

In my opinion. :innocent:

The Last Supper most certainly did contain the Eucharist in all the gospels. Also Jesus never told his disciples never to drink wine again.

Matthew 26:26-28 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.” 7 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of theb]">[b] covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Mark 14:22-24 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take it; this is my body.” 23 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, and they all drank from it. 24 “This is my blood of thec]">[c] covenant, which is poured out for many,” he said to them.

Luke 22:19-20 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

To the contrary, the Paul confirms the tradition of the Eucharist

1 Corinthians 11:25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe the statement is that the life is in the blood. So this is very symbolical of the life of Jesus in the believer.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I think you raise an interesting point and I tend to agree with your idea that it may have been a provocative break with the old religion and a hard teaching to test the will of the disciples.

I believe the early church recognized the difference when it only forbade eating animals in their blood.