• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Essential Nature of the Sciences

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The sciences are the most reliable method of inquiry that humanity has yet devised. The emphasis here is on "method of inquiry". What distinguishes the sciences from other fields, such as philosophy and theology, is the method of inquiry employed in the sciences.

Whether the sciences have but one core method of inquiry or several is a matter of how you slice and dice the various procedures used in the sciences. In this post, I'll take the view there is but one core method -- largely to keep things simple.

That core method can be represented in various ways. Sometimes as having a few steps, sometimes as having many. But here -- at the risk of over-simplifying it -- I will reduce it to just four essential steps. Remove anyone of these steps, and you no longer have a science, in my opinion.

1) Create an hypothesis, usually based on observation, that explains something in terms of something else -- preferably a supposed cause of that something. For instance, your hypothesis might state that common table salt is caused by sodium and chlorine chemically bonding.

2) Logically deduce a consequence of your hypothesis -- if it were true. For example, you might deduce that, if it were true salt was the product of sodium and chlorine chemically bonding, then splitting pure salt into its atomic constituents will consistently yield sodium and chlorine, and nothing else.

3) Test your hypothesis. For instance, split salt into its atomic constituents and look to see what you find those are. If you find that only sodium and chlorine are consistently present, then your hypothesis is collaborated. That is, it is supported. If you find that some other substances are consistently present as well, then your hypothesis is falsified. That is, proven false. The sciences can prove something is false, but they cannot prove something is true -- merely that it is supported.

4) Submit your procedure and results for peer review. The first three steps are logically required. This fourth step is not strictly required, but human biases and errors being what they are, it is all but required in practice to ensure that your inquiry is sound. Besides which, you could actually argue that this step was almost logically required via this line of reasoning: If a procedure and result do not hold up under review, then the procedure and result are unlikely to be sound.​

You can add up to a dozen or more steps to this model, depending on what degree of detail you want to go into, but I think the most essential elements to the scientific method of inquiry are captured in just four steps.

The first thing to note here is that the sciences combine both observation (empiricism) with logical reasoning. This is a key to their power as means of inquiry.

The second thing to note here is that the sciences do not rely on metaphysical explanations for natural events. In fact, they eliminate consideration of metaphysical explanations within their scope by relying on empiricism as one of their two key components, along with logical reasoning. Empiricism, while not actually incompatible with metaphysical explanations, tends to render such explanations unnecessary.

Last, the practical "requirement" for peer review tends to vastly increase the reliability of the sciences.

Questions? Comments?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Whether the scientific method eliminates metaphysical explanations or not solely depends on whether those metaphysical 'explanations' give testable predictions that can be verified by other researchers.

There is no inherent reason for science to eliminate non-physical explanations, it's just that no such explanation has been testable to the extent that physical explanations are. For example, if I say that ghosts are causing the sounds in my house at night, that could be a hypothesis to be investigated. Among other predictions this would lead to are that the sounds have no other source, that ghosts exist and can make sounds, which would then allows for the investigation of *how* ghosts make sounds, etc.

The problem is that in all situations where ghosts have been proposed, other physical explanations have been shown to explain the observed phenomena. This has happened in a wide variety of situations where non-physical explanations have been proposed, leading to the devaluation of proposed explanations using such hypotheses.

Again, the requirement for other researchers to reach the same results by reproducing the events can still, potentially, be done with non-physical explanations. But, in practice, that hasn't actually happened.

chinu

chinu
What distinguishes the sciences from other fields, such as philosophy and theology, is the method of inquiry employed in the sciences.
Science says; if there's God, Then I will definitely find him one day.
Theology says; if there's God, Then "He" will definitely find "Me" one day.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Whether the scientific method eliminates metaphysical explanations or not solely depends on whether those metaphysical 'explanations' give testable predictions that can be verified by other researchers.

There is no inherent reason for science to eliminate non-physical explanations, it's just that no such explanation has been testable to the extent that physical explanations are. For example, if I say that ghosts are causing the sounds in my house at night, that could be a hypothesis to be investigated. Among other predictions this would lead to are that the sounds have no other source, that ghosts exist and can make sounds, which would then allows for the investigation of *how* ghosts make sounds, etc.

The problem is that in all situations where ghosts have been proposed, other physical explanations have been shown to explain the observed phenomena. This has happened in a wide variety of situations where non-physical explanations have been proposed, leading to the devaluation of proposed explanations using such hypotheses.

Again, the requirement for other researchers to reach the same results by reproducing the events can still, potentially, be done with non-physical explanations. But, in practice, that hasn't actually happened.

Quite true. That's what I was trying to suggest with my all too brief comments on empiricism.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Okay you mean; IF there's a thing like GOD, Science agree that Science cannot find 'Him" ?

I am only saying that the sciences do not claim that, if there is a god, they will be certain to discover it.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Science says; if there's God, Then I will definitely find him one day.
Theology says; if there's God, Then "He" will definitely find "Me" one day.
I think the initial problem for science is understanding the question.

What real thing do you intend to denote when you say "God"? How can we tell whether any real thing we find is "God" or not?

joe1776

The sciences are the most reliable method of inquiry that humanity has yet devised. The emphasis here is on "method of inquiry". What distinguishes the sciences from other fields, such as philosophy and theology, is the method of inquiry employed in the sciences.

Whether the sciences have but one core method of inquiry or several is a matter of how you slice and dice the various procedures used in the sciences. In this post, I'll take the view there is but one core method -- largely to keep things simple.

That core method can be represented in various ways. Sometimes as having a few steps, sometimes as having many. But here -- at the risk of over-simplifying it -- I will reduce it to just four essential steps. Remove anyone of these steps, and you no longer have a science, in my opinion.

1) Create an hypothesis, usually based on observation, that explains something in terms of something else -- preferably a supposed cause of that something. For instance, your hypothesis might state that common table salt is caused by sodium and chlorine chemically bonding.

2) Logically deduce a consequence of your hypothesis -- if it were true. For example, you might deduce that, if it were true salt was the product of sodium and chlorine chemically bonding, then splitting pure salt into its atomic constituents will consistently yield sodium and chlorine, and nothing else.

3) Test your hypothesis. For instance, split salt into its atomic constituents and look to see what you find those are. If you find that only sodium and chlorine are consistently present, then your hypothesis is collaborated. That is, it is supported. If you find that some other substances are consistently present as well, then your hypothesis is falsified. That is, proven false. The sciences can prove something is false, but they cannot prove something is true -- merely that it is supported.

4) Submit your procedure and results for peer review. The first three steps are logically required. This fourth step is not strictly required, but human biases and errors being what they are, it is all but required in practice to ensure that your inquiry is sound. Besides which, you could actually argue that this step was almost logically required via this line of reasoning: If a procedure and result do not hold up under review, then the procedure and result are unlikely to be sound.​

You can add up to a dozen or more steps to this model, depending on what degree of detail you want to go into, but I think the most essential elements to the scientific method of inquiry are captured in just four steps.

The first thing to note here is that the sciences combine both observation (empiricism) with logical reasoning. This is a key to their power as means of inquiry.

The second thing to note here is that the sciences do not rely on metaphysical explanations for natural events. In fact, they eliminate consideration of metaphysical explanations within their scope by relying on empiricism as one of their two key components, along with logical reasoning. Empiricism, while not actually incompatible with metaphysical explanations, tends to render such explanations unnecessary.

Last, the practical "requirement" for peer review tends to vastly increase the reliability of the sciences.

Questions? Comments?

I agree with what you wrote, but I would have added a few negative thoughts for balance:

--- Unfortunately, science has to be done by people and scientists aren't immune to biases or pretending to know far more than they really do.

---The peer review process is a great idea in theory. In practice, it has its flaws.

--- All knowledge begins with a consciously observed effect. And since the powerful unconscious mind can't be observed (except using fMRI as a crude tool), science is limited to studying only conscious reality.

--- Some sciences are more reliable than others. A massive effort to test the validity of 100 psychology experiments found that more than 50 percent of the studies failed to replicate. This is based on a study published in the journal Science.

chinu

chinu
I think the initial problem for science is understanding the question.
Question about WHAT ? huh..

What real thing do you intend to denote when you say "God"?
The one who is the creator/owner of all that I see all around me (Including science)
The one who is responsible for that I see all around me.

How can we tell whether any real thing we find is "God" or not?
"He" will make us realize in someway or another.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Like.. Science simply doesn't claim the ability to land on SUN ?

Not the same, no. If God exists as a non-material being (whatever that means) and cannot be tested and verified, then the techniques of science do not apply to the question of the existence of God.

As other have pointed out, there is also the question of defining exactly what it means for God to exist. What observable properties does this being have? How can we tell when we have and when we have not detected this being? If there is no God, how could that be determined? if there is a God, how could *that* be determined?

wellwisher

One problem science faces is, science is not self sufficient when it comes to its own resources. Science is dependent and beholden on Government and Business, to name the main two. This means the money people, who make it possible, can add their own subjective bias, in terms of what theory is funded or not funded.

For example, If you were a scientist working for a cigarette company, you will do good science. However, the long term goal will be to promote the needs of that business with your good science. That business signs the check and pays for your research. If not, you will not be paid in the future. The company leaders, who distribute the funds will also have a say in what it will send out for publication, to help stack the science odds in the company favor. Government works the same way when it comes to science funding. In this case, political favor is important.

Without funding it is not easy to do rigorous science that can get published. While having to be funded by entities with political and/or financial motives, means the publication data bases can get stacked based on the needs of the benefactors. This will skew the conclusions one is able to draw from this peer reviewed data bases. Go to the science library of a cigarette company and use just that to draw your conclusions. This is dependent science in a nut shell.

In social sciences done o campuses, you can get more funding for promoting a theory of 30 or more sexes, than just 2 sexes due to the political climate on college campuses, that will influence the funding. Each theory can be addressed by science. However, the political climate can target funding and cause the publication data base to get stacked one way, until consensus science appears to support science fiction.

Consider manmade global warming now called man made climate change. About 10 or so years ago this became very political, with activists working hard to prevent any research that opposed the consensus view. If you did good science, for the natural climate change theory, your were a denier and people were afraid to be associated. The consensus became a function of where the money went. Mercenary science is a fact of modern life. A mercenary will fight for any cause if the money is good. The methods of science can work with any theory. The mercenary allows the money man to pick the fight.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree with what you wrote, but I would have added a few negative thoughts for balance:

--- Unfortunately, science has to be done by people and scientists aren't immune to biases or pretending to know far more than they really do.

---The peer review process is a great idea in theory. In practice, it has its flaws.

--- All knowledge begins with a consciously observed effect. And since the powerful unconscious mind can't be observed (except using fMRI as a crude tool), science is limited to studying only conscious reality.

--- Some sciences are more reliable than others. A massive effort to test the validity of 100 psychology experiments found that more than 50 percent of the studies failed to replicate. This is based on a study published in the journal Science.

One of the key distinguishing things that determines the reliable from the unreliable sciences is the confidence level required to announce a 'discovery'. This is a social issue. For physics, a 5 standard deviation result is required to announce a discovery. Compare that with a confidence ratio of .05, which corresponds to 2 standard deviations and we see the difference between physics and psychology.