• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Essence of RF: The Mission Statement

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
About 10 years ago, I joined RF looking to convert others to my worldview at the time, which was fundamentally different in multiple ways from my current outlook. Less than a few weeks after joining this forum, I realized that people belonging to groups about whom I held many misconceptions weren't who I assumed they would be, and I proceeded to make some of my longest-term friends through RF (several of whom I'm still in touch with to this day).

I have noticed an increase in the amount of heated threads about the COVID-19 pandemic in recent weeks, which, while understandable, seems to have resulted in a lot of friction as hot-button topics often do. How this ties with what I said above is that it wasn't merely the discussions and debates that changed my mind about various topics or made this forum my virtual home; it was the sense of belonging and friendliness I felt from multiple people, including many who deeply disagreed with me. The spirit of fellowship I saw here embodied the essence of RF's mission statement:

RF MISSION STATEMENT

As a community of diverse cultural and religious backgrounds, our aim is to provide a civil environment, informative, respectful and welcoming where people of diverse beliefs can discuss, compare and debate religion while engaging in fellowship with one another.

I think that now more than any other time, we could all use an occasional reminder that the moment we step away from our computers/phones is the moment we all go back to experiencing a unique and, for many, difficult period in our lives. Sometimes we all can be mistaken or even post things we later regret, but the one thing that matters most, in my opinion, is to remember that there's always another person at the other end of the discussion and not let disagreement and arguments make us lose sight of this fact.

There are always going to be a minority of people who are genuinely malicious or otherwise ill-intentioned, but overall, I remind myself more than I do anyone else that most people on this forum want all of this to end and don't wish for anyone to be harmed in the current circumstances. Regardless of how strongly any of us may disagree with another, I believe it is crucial to keep in mind that there's another person, not mere words, at the other end of the screen, and how our interactions affect each other is an important consideration if we are to function as a community rather than a mere venue for arguments and debates.

The RF mission statement outlines the main reason I have called this place my virtual home for 10 years and the reason I don't regret a single moment I have spent working to maintain it during my eight years on staff. I hope the forum continues to provide this experience to others as well.

Stay safe and healthy, no matter what your views are,

Debater Slayer

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'm sure most of us probably appreciate your words of wisdom (including me, of course). I've been on this forum for about two years, maybe a little longer, and I've heard members talk of a Golden Age which existed many years before I joined, however I feel that in the time I have been here, things have improved, and I feel I see more religious topics, and more serious topics, now.

I like to think a lot of members may see people as other humans beings behind the computer. However, putting one's self in another's shoes is hard, it can often take months if the interactions consist of only the occasional forum interaction. However, I think we'll reach a point where things are even more tight-knit with some patience. And the phenomenal behind-the-scenes work of the RF staff.

Thanks, all.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm sure most of us probably appreciate your words of wisdom (including me, of course). I've been on this forum for about two years, maybe a little longer, and I've heard members talk of a Golden Age which existed many years before I joined, however I feel that in the time I have been here, things have improved, and I feel I see more religious topics, and more serious topics, now.

I like to think a lot of members may see people as other humans beings behind the computer. However, putting one's self in another's shoes is hard, it can often take months if the interactions consist of only the occasional forum interaction. However, I think we'll reach a point where things are even more tight-knit with some patience. And the phenomenal behind-the-scenes work of the RF staff.

Thanks, all.
Golden ages are over-rated.
RF is more civil than it was a decade ago.

RF MISSION STATEMENT
As a community of diverse cultural and religious backgrounds, our aim is to provide a civil environment, informative, respectful and welcoming where people of diverse beliefs can discuss, compare and debate religion while engaging in fellowship with one another.