• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ending of the era of Philosophical thought

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
One exists before one thinks. By thinking, one becomes aware of oneself as separate from what one thinks about.
Yes. That's pretty much Descartes.

More accurately then:
"I think, therefore I am not".
"I am, until I think".
"I think, therefore I no longer am".

A human is screwed as soon as he starts to think. Only by backtracking, undoing all thought, can he once again exist.
And only then, if he is exceedingly skilled, and also exceedingly lucky.
*John Oliver voice*
What just happened there? Thinking has nothing to do with "is or is not," because "is or is not" is thought. "Undoing all thought" is thought! "I exist" is thought!

I dare you to express anything that isn't thought!

Oh wait...

Yes. That's pretty much Descartes.
*John Oliver voice*
What just happened there? Thinking has nothing to do with "is or is not," because "is or is not" is thought. "Undoing all thought" is thought! "I exist" is thought!
I dare you to express anything that isn't thought!

Oh wait...

Nothing I write is the product of thought; you only think it is.
That may sound trite, and absurd, but actually it is true.
I never think about what I'm going to write: I just do it. Either my mind works instantaneously, or there isn't any thinking going on.
I drive the same way. I engage in combat the same way. I build wooden structures the same way. Nothing I do is the product of thought.

I used to think, of course, and so I know what that's like. What I do now is nothing like that.
Sometimes I write whole essays without a plan, a format, a single pause to think what will come next. Whole books.

This is something the reader either takes on faith, because he/she is intrigued by it, or not. It is an unknown state to any who do not know it.

This is the essence of taoism. Or rather, the essence of Lao Tzu. Taoism is the processing of his essence, by other minds.

questfortruth

The notion that we are able to discern facts doesn't mean a God exists. That's something you have to demonstrate. Either demonstrate it, or stop asserting it.
It is your problem. I have no problem to know, what I saw mine God in the facts like "1+1=2" right from my beginning. It is like the Sun for new born baby: the baby does not know the name of the Sun, but already feels its actions.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Nothing I write is the product of thought; you only think it is.
That may sound trite, and absurd, but actually it is true.
I never think about what I'm going to write: I just do it. Either my mind works instantaneously, or there isn't any thinking going on.
I drive the same way. I engage in combat the same way. I build wooden structures the same way. Nothing I do is the product of thought.

I used to think, of course, and so I know what that's like. What I do now is nothing like that.
Sometimes I write whole essays without a plan, a format, a single pause to think what will come next. Whole books.

This is something the reader either takes on faith, because he/she is intrigued by it, or not. It is an unknown state to any who do not know it.

This is the essence of taoism. Or rather, the essence of Lao Tzu. Taoism is the processing of his essence, by other minds.
Oh, goodie. Words that are not thought exist. #jolnoliverhumourwithau

It is your problem. I have no problem to know, what I saw mine God in the facts like "1+1=2" right from my beginning. It is like the Sun for new born baby: the baby does not know the name of the Sun, but already feels its actions.
It is most odd the way atheists behave like feudal lords, demanding of their serfs to do their bidding.
I demand you Prove This! Or else! Never speak of it!
Like anybody cares what they think, believe, or don't believe, anyway.
Hubris is funny stuff. Not quite fatal, but it might as well be.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Might it was caused by his "false atheism"? The "false atheism" is the denial of Religion, but the False Atheism is not a religion itself? I tend to think, that rejection of the Beginning ("In the beginning - God", to my memory: Bible) has devalued the value of Wisdom and Knowledge in the mind of the astrophysicist.
Huh?

The Atheism is the fight against the idols of paganism. The "false atheism" is fight against the God.
LOL.

Let me use mine definitions, not the Wiki ones. You have no other choice but to let me.
I'm sorry. You must've had your account hijacked by God, but I've seen FB God and He's funnier than you.

El from Mr. Deity is also funnier than you. They're the best gods ever. :p

Of course, the "false atheists" feel to be higher than a paganism, but their deeds are looking paganic: they are members of:
the church of Flying Spaghetti Monster, the church of satan in USA.
You don't understand "parody", do you?

Nobody can live without the God
El? Yahweh? Asherah? Jesus? Care to help us narrow down the choices from the gods worshipped throughout the bible?

That reflection of mine state of mind is in mess.
I agree the state of your mind needs a tune up.

The brave Christian humans often have destroyed the places and temples of paganism.
I don't really consider vandalism a mark of bravery. It reeks of insecurity, really.

We are born with knowledge, what our mother exists.
No. We teach kids what a mother is from day one. "say momma, say momma"

Right from the start we feel, what something exists, that something is right and something is wrong, something is hot and something is cold. It is the first knowledge of the Highest Judge of what is true and what is false.
Not everyone is born with the same biological instincts, though. It depends heavily on how the fetus developed and what exists upon birth.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Please demonstrate that God is the cause of those actions.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
It is most odd the way atheists behave like feudal lords, demanding of their serfs to do their bidding.
I demand you Prove This! Or else! Never speak of it!
You're right, it's completely unreasonale to expect people to demonstrate the truth of their claims on a debate forum. We should all just blindly accept anything people say and be totally credulous.

Like anybody cares what they think, believe, or don't believe, anyway.
... Says you - the person who constantly makes random posts explaining what you believe, at length.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
The famous astrophysicist and the amateur philosopher the "false atheist" Stephen Hawking has written in his famous book "Grand Design":

Might it was caused by his "false atheism"? The "false atheism" is the denial of Religion, but the False Atheism is not a religion itself? I tend to think, that rejection of the Beginning ("In the beginning - God", to my memory: Bible) has devalued the value of Wisdom and Knowledge in the mind of the astrophysicist.

Well, that is what false theists might think.

Ciao

- viole

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The famous astrophysicist and the amateur philosopher the "false atheist" Stephen Hawking has written in his famous book "Grand Design":

Philosophy is dead, not because it is useless, but because they're aren't any real philosophers anymore. They've all become scientists.

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.
Philosophy is dead, not because it is useless, but because they're aren't any real philosophers anymore. They've all become scientists.

Well. As a philosophy, science is probably the most practical of all philosophies since cynicism so not a huge loss. :D

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

That was the guy who used to believe that the universe would go into reverse at some point, and we'd all crawl back into the womb.. I think he believes in the Flying Spaghetti Multiverse now,

So I am not sure that these beliefs meet the standards of philosophy, superstitions perhaps?

questfortruth

The notion that we are able to discern facts doesn't mean a God exists. That's something you have to demonstrate. Either demonstrate it, or stop asserting it.

Opposer: "I am not convinced. Please demonstrate the God."

I have demonstrated Him mentally, by the line of reason. Imagine following experiment: a boy gets older and proofs the God by his mind. If there is no God, then the boy is just a deterministic robot without a flaw, because no flaw can be found in his activity.

"We are just robots", - says the false atheist Steven Hawking in "Grand Design".

Thus, this is the experimental test of the presents of the God. So, there is the God. But because there is God (and His Bible and His Holy Church), the boy is not a robot. If you agree with latter, then you are theist. False atheism is not the Atheism (Ходящий По Лжи) / Проза.ру

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I have demonstrated Him mentally, by the line of reason. Imagine following experiment: a boy gets older and proofs the God by his mind. If there is no God, then the boy is just a deterministic robot without a flaw, because no flaw can be found in his activity.

"We are just robots", - says the false atheist Steven Hawking in "Grand Design".

Thus, this is the experimental test of the presents of the God. So, there is the God. But because there is God (and His Bible and His Holy Church), the boy is not a robot. If you agree with latter, then you are theist. False atheism is not the Atheism (Ходящий По Лжи) / Проза.ру
This argument is incredibly poor. Firstly, the premise doesn't follow. "There is a God" does not equal "We are not deterministic robots", and "there is no God" does not equal "We are deterministic robots". It is quite possible for there to be no God and for us to still have free will, and it is also possible that God exists and we don't have free will. In fact, depending on the definition of God, if an omniscient God exists then humans cannot possibly have free will.