• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end of the "I" as in ego

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Life is not about ME; MINE, I, anymore. Life is about finding the answers that lead to love and kindness for everyone. Living with the population of people instead of against it. living together with different races or religions,not aginst it.
Life become freedom when we no longer judge others or what we see as self toward something we as a union are not.
What can WE do instead of what can I do.
What can be done so everyone gain what we all can have, but do not have today in an egosentric world.

What can be done for our neighbours to better their life?
Why look at each others with hate and delution? When we can look at each others as equal.

Our world in decline exist because we can not let go of the "I" and become "WE"

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Life is not about ME; MINE, I, anymore. Life is about finding the answers that lead to love and kindness for everyone. Living with the population of people instead of against it. living together with different races or religions,not aginst it.
Life become freedom when we no longer judge others or what we see as self toward something we as a union are not.
What can be done so everyone gain what we all can have, but do not have today in an egosentric world.

Why look at each others with hate and delution? When we can look at each others as equal.

I see the world needs to think as a family and what will we do to help each member of that family. All the while looking after our planet.

Regards Tony

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

But who will bell the cat - the ego of the politicians? If any two nuclear states have a war, the whole ecology of the planet Earth will come to ruins, those who die will be fortunate those who survive will suffer the most. Right, please?

Regards

joe1776

Why look at each others with hate and delution? When we can look at each others as equal...
Unlike you, I feel no need for religion and yet it sounds like we have found the same path.

I think of myself as a 'global citizen.' I support policies that would enhance the quality of life for the global community. It's an old idea: Socrates said something like "I'm not an Athenian or a Greek but a citizen of the world."

Equality is the key concept. Conscience has been moving our species toward equality for centuries: the equality of slaves, the equality of women, the equality of homosexuals and minorities.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
But who will bell the cat - the ego of the politicians? If any two nuclear states have a war, the whole ecology of the planet Earth will come to ruins, those who die will be fortunate those who survive will suffer the most. Right, please?

Regards
Politics is mostly oposit of spiritual life, because politics is all about the ego, to get his or her voice heard.
But i know that not everyone will or can let go of the ego. Butspirituality is all about letting go of ego/self

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Living together with different races or religions, not against it.
That is 'utopia', Amanaki. Not practical in the world, perhaps not possible in your own country or very soon it would not be. There are many shades in the world, it is not all black and white.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
That is 'utopia', Amanaki. Not practical in the world, perhaps not possible in your own country or very soon it would not be. There are many shades in the world, it is not all black and white.
Of course it is Possible as long we have compassion, forgivness and acceptance for differences.
But of course with a mindset that "this is not Possible" then yes you will struggle

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's a reason why I try to stay realistic and adapt.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Of course it is Possible as long we have compassion, forgivness and acceptance for differences.
But of course with a mindset that "this is not Possible" then yes you will struggle
You may have whatever, but people will be people. In "Absolute truth" (Paramarthika), we are one. As I like to say even Hitler, Stalin, Osama and Caliph Ibrahim are none other than Brahman, which constitutes all living and non-living things in the universe. But in "Pragmatic Reality" (Vyavaharika), there are many differences. The two realities should not be confused with each other. That is what 'Advaita' (non-duality) teaches me.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

How can one live life without the "ME; I?" If one is seeking live from the perspective of vyavaharika in an attempt to lead to love and kindness for everyone, how can that be done at the exclusion on oneself? Is it practical to better another's life at the sacrifice on oneself? As I see it, doing so will result in the inability to sustain one's goal of bettering the life of others.

Per Advaita and my personal experience, the 'I' and 'me" are no different from the 'we' from the perspective of Paramartika, as @Aupmanyav has already alludes to above.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
How can one life life without the "ME; I?" If one is seeking live from the perspective of vyavaharika in an attempt to lead to love and kindness for everyone, how can that be done at the exclusion on oneself? Is it practical to better another's life at the sacrifice on oneself? As I see it, doing so will result in the inability to sustain one's goal of bettering the life of others.

Per Advaita and my personal experience, the 'I' and 'me" are no different from the 'we' from the perspective of Paramartika, as @Aupmanyav has already alludes to above.
I dont know Hinduism enough to have a deeper discussion but i think the difference is in where Hinduists and Buddhists see the need of a self But i can be wrong on this.
But seen from a more buddhistic view, life here on earth in a human body is not the true form of life, and so there is no permanent "self" and being selfless is more on the aspect that we are not here to enrich our "self" on behalf of the good of others. But to be able to help everyone without expecting something back. (simplified version )

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I dont know Hinduism enough to have a deeper discussion but i think the difference is in where Hinduists and Buddhists see the need of a self But i can be wrong on this.
But seen from a more buddhistic view, life here on earth in a human body is not the true form of life, and so there is no permanent "self" and being selfless is more on the aspect that we are not here to enrich our "self" on behalf of the good of others. But to be able to help everyone without expecting something back. (simplified version )

In Advaita Vedanta, there is the 'self' that perceives the relative (pragmatic) reality in vyavaharika, with the five senses, and there is the Self (Atman) who is the witness to the experiences of the one self and all others selves from the perspective of Paramartika. Atman is the same as Brahman.

This is further broken down into the gross body, the subtle 'body,' and the causal, 'body,' but I won't complicate things by further explaining those in the interest of keeping this thread on topic.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
How can one live life without the "ME; I?" If one is seeking live from the perspective of vyavaharika in an attempt to lead to love and kindness for everyone, how can that be done at the exclusion on oneself? Is it practical to better another's life at the sacrifice on oneself? As I see it, doing so will result in the inability to sustain one's goal of bettering the life of others.

"The 'I' and 'me" are no different from the 'we'"

I visualize that "I" here is excessive ego. I agree that "we" here includes normal "i".
But "we" should here mean all humanity not specific nations at the cost of others.

Regards
[2:178]لَیۡسَ الۡبِرَّ اَنۡ تُوَلُّوۡا وُجُوۡہَکُمۡ قِبَلَ الۡمَشۡرِقِ وَ الۡمَغۡرِبِ وَ لٰکِنَّ الۡبِرَّ مَنۡ اٰمَنَ بِاللّٰہِ وَ الۡیَوۡمِ الۡاٰخِرِ وَ الۡمَلٰٓئِکَۃِ وَ الۡکِتٰبِ وَ النَّبِیّٖنَ ۚ وَ اٰتَی الۡمَالَ عَلٰی حُبِّہٖ ذَوِی الۡقُرۡبٰی وَ الۡیَتٰمٰی وَ الۡمَسٰکِیۡنَ وَ ابۡنَ السَّبِیۡلِ ۙ وَ السَّآئِلِیۡنَ وَ فِی الرِّقَابِ ۚ وَ اَقَامَ الصَّلٰوۃَ وَ اٰتَی الزَّکٰوۃَ ۚ وَ الۡمُوۡفُوۡنَ بِعَہۡدِہِمۡ اِذَا عٰہَدُوۡا ۚ وَ الصّٰبِرِیۡنَ فِی الۡبَاۡسَآءِ وَ الضَّرَّآءِ وَ حِیۡنَ الۡبَاۡسِ ؕ اُولٰٓئِکَ الَّذِیۡنَ صَدَقُوۡا ؕ وَ اُولٰٓئِکَ ہُمُ الۡمُتَّقُوۡنَ ﴿۱۷۸﴾
It is not righteousness that you turn your faces to the East or the West, but truly righteous is he who believes in Allah and the Last Day and the angels and the Book and the Prophets, and spends his money for love of Him, on the kindred and the orphans and the needy and the wayfarer and those who ask for charity, and for ransoming the captives; and who observes Prayer and pays the Zakat; and those who fulfil their promise when they have made one, and the patient in poverty and afflictions and the steadfast in time of war; it is these who have proved truthful and it is these who are the God-fearing.
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 2: Al-Baqarah
[59:10]وَ الَّذِیۡنَ تَبَوَّؤُ الدَّارَ وَ الۡاِیۡمَانَ مِنۡ قَبۡلِہِمۡ یُحِبُّوۡنَ مَنۡ ہَاجَرَ اِلَیۡہِمۡ وَ لَا یَجِدُوۡنَ فِیۡ صُدُوۡرِہِمۡ حَاجَۃً مِّمَّاۤ اُوۡتُوۡا وَ یُؤۡثِرُوۡنَ عَلٰۤی اَنۡفُسِہِمۡ وَ لَوۡ کَانَ بِہِمۡ خَصَاصَۃٌ ؕ۟ وَ مَنۡ یُّوۡقَ شُحَّ نَفۡسِہٖ فَاُولٰٓئِکَ ہُمُ الۡمُفۡلِحُوۡنَ ۚ﴿۱۰﴾
And those who had established their home in this city before them and had accepted faith, love those who came to them for refuge, and find not in their breasts any desire for that which is given them (Refugees), but prefer the Refugees to themselves, even though poverty be their own lot. And whoso is rid of the covetousness of his own soul — it is these who will be successful.
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 59: Al-Hashr

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I agree with the intent. I was also thinking back about our different cultures that affect our I vs. we worldviews. There is a senses that western culture (I-culture) is negative and outside of western is the (we-culture) that is good. I never did like the separation.

I figure we can get along with some wanting Is and differences and individualizes while others We-, like similarities, and communities. It only becomes ego when we only think in our own boxes.

Getting less ego would be to "visit" other worldviews and see the necessity rather than the preferences of them all. So, an I- can learn from a We- so we Is won't get too ahead of ourselves without loosing our individuality.

We-s can learn from Is by giving each person a chance to be "himself" in midst of the whole.

I guess another way to say it is too much I- can lead to power.
Too much We- can lead to blindness that there is something Other than what needs to conform as a group to be in harmony and peace.

Checks and balances?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
"The 'I' and 'me" are no different from the 'we'"

I visualize that "I" here is excessive ego.

Then you misinterpreted my post.

I agree that "we" here includes normal "i".
But "we" should here mean all humanity not specific nations at the cost of others.

Why "but?" Did I suggest otherwise.

[2:178]لَیۡسَ الۡبِرَّ اَنۡ تُوَلُّوۡا وُجُوۡہَکُمۡ قِبَلَ الۡمَشۡرِقِ وَ الۡمَغۡرِبِ وَ لٰکِنَّ الۡبِرَّ مَنۡ اٰمَنَ بِاللّٰہِ وَ الۡیَوۡمِ الۡاٰخِرِ وَ الۡمَلٰٓئِکَۃِ وَ الۡکِتٰبِ وَ النَّبِیّٖنَ ۚ وَ اٰتَی الۡمَالَ عَلٰی حُبِّہٖ ذَوِی الۡقُرۡبٰی وَ الۡیَتٰمٰی وَ الۡمَسٰکِیۡنَ وَ ابۡنَ السَّبِیۡلِ ۙ وَ السَّآئِلِیۡنَ وَ فِی الرِّقَابِ ۚ وَ اَقَامَ الصَّلٰوۃَ وَ اٰتَی الزَّکٰوۃَ ۚ وَ الۡمُوۡفُوۡنَ بِعَہۡدِہِمۡ اِذَا عٰہَدُوۡا ۚ وَ الصّٰبِرِیۡنَ فِی الۡبَاۡسَآءِ وَ الضَّرَّآءِ وَ حِیۡنَ الۡبَاۡسِ ؕ اُولٰٓئِکَ الَّذِیۡنَ صَدَقُوۡا ؕ وَ اُولٰٓئِکَ ہُمُ الۡمُتَّقُوۡنَ ﴿۱۷۸﴾
It is not righteousness that you turn your faces to the East or the West, but truly righteous is he who believes in Allah and the Last Day and the angels and the Book and the Prophets, and spends his money for love of Him, on the kindred and the orphans and the needy and the wayfarer and those who ask for charity, and for ransoming the captives; and who observes Prayer and pays the Zakat; and those who fulfil their promise when they have made one, and the patient in poverty and afflictions and the steadfast in time of war; it is these who have proved truthful and it is these who are the God-fearing.
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 2: Al-Baqarah
[59:10]وَ الَّذِیۡنَ تَبَوَّؤُ الدَّارَ وَ الۡاِیۡمَانَ مِنۡ قَبۡلِہِمۡ یُحِبُّوۡنَ مَنۡ ہَاجَرَ اِلَیۡہِمۡ وَ لَا یَجِدُوۡنَ فِیۡ صُدُوۡرِہِمۡ حَاجَۃً مِّمَّاۤ اُوۡتُوۡا وَ یُؤۡثِرُوۡنَ عَلٰۤی اَنۡفُسِہِمۡ وَ لَوۡ کَانَ بِہِمۡ خَصَاصَۃٌ ؕ۟ وَ مَنۡ یُّوۡقَ شُحَّ نَفۡسِہٖ فَاُولٰٓئِکَ ہُمُ الۡمُفۡلِحُوۡنَ ۚ﴿۱۰﴾
And those who had established their home in this city before them and had accepted faith, love those who came to them for refuge, and find not in their breasts any desire for that which is given them (Refugees), but prefer the Refugees to themselves, even though poverty be their own lot. And whoso is rid of the covetousness of his own soul — it is these who will be successful.
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 59: Al-Hashr

This is wasted on me given I'm not Muslim.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I dont know Hinduism enough to have a deeper discussion but i think the difference is in where Hindus and Buddhists see the need of a self But i can be wrong on this.
But seen from a more buddhist view, life here on earth in a human body is not the true form of life, and so there is no permanent "self" and being selfless is more on the aspect that we are not here to enrich our "self" on behalf of the good of others. But to be able to help everyone without expecting something back. (simplified version )
Basically, what I mean is that we should not go over-board with love and kindness. These are very good traits to have, but there will be times when we will be faced with evil which cannot be eradicated with love, kindness and forgiveness. At those times, we have to take hard decisions. Even Buddha accepted that, if attacked by another king/country, you have the right to fight back. You are going a little beyond Buddha and ignoring realities of life. Buddha, who is my guru, was a very practical man. Sure, 'Anicca' and 'Anatta' are true. Advaita too says the same. Advaita has a very close relationship with Buddhism. One of the greatest teachers of Advaita, the First Sankaracharya, who is my another guru, was accused by orthodox Hindus as being a Buddhist.