• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The End of Don't Ask, Don't Tell- Your Thoughts?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The policy was cowardly and ridiculous from the outset. Other armies have integrated successfully, but Americans either have no awareness of history or think they're another species.

There was a much bigger brouhaha about blacks, but Truman had the cojones to issue an executive order to integrate and the army didn't dissolve into chaos.
Why are today's politicians such wussies?

Christian Gnosis

I think that it will probably take awhile for the military to actually accept it, just like it took some time for the integration of African-Americans.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I think that it will probably take awhile for the military to actually accept it, just like it took some time for the integration of African-Americans.

Your exactly right. I laugh when the military says it will not work. I'm thinking, it already is working, you just are not smart enough to realize you already work along side of gays and lesbians every day.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They fear an end to "don't ask, don't tell" will transform a furtive glance in the shower to a flagrant proposition.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There was a much bigger brouhaha about blacks, but Truman had the cojones to issue an executive order to integrate and the army didn't dissolve into chaos.
Why are today's politicians such wussies?
This whole thing really makes me disappointed in Barack Obama. While I think this is a positive change, I can't help thinking that the senate vote was completely unnecessary.

Obama could've erased DADT with the stroke of a pen. He didn't need congressional or senate approval... he could've simply declared it void and it would've been gone. Despite this, he sat on his hands and did nothing.

This could've been one of his "quick wins" right after he took office that would've helped to set the tone for his whole administration. Instead, his inaction set the tone, IMO.

Your exactly right. I laugh when the military says it will not work. I'm thinking, it already is working, you just are not smart enough to realize you already work along side of gays and lesbians every day.
I agree.

The whole idea behind DADT was that nobody would know if a soldier was gay. It seems like those against repealing it somehow decided that if they can't see that there are homosexual people in the military, then they can pretend they're not there at all... and based all their arguments on that.

In reality, I think that DADT creates an environment where the logical thing would be to suspect that any and every soldier might be gay. If the idea of serving with a gay man or a lesbian woman in your unit is somehow a threat to morale (not that I think it is, but that's what's being argued), then I would think that the situation with DADT would be "worse" than with it.

Openness prevents fear and suspicion. There's more fodder for rumour if you're surrounded by people you suspect are gay than if you serve with one or two that you know are gay.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Obama's record before becoming president was that of a consensus finder & supporter.
It makes perfect sense that he would continue the same style of leadership....or followership.
He pledged that he would end DADT, & he will very likely follow thru by not vetoing the bill.
I would've preferred the Truman approach, but at least this wrong is finally righted.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Obama's record before becoming president was that of a consensus finder & supporter. It makes perfect sense that he would continue the same style of leadership....or followership. He pledged that he would end DADT, & he will very likely follow thru by not vetoing the bill. I would've preferred the Truman approach, but at least this wrong is finally righted.

Unfortunately I agree with this. It took way too long, but at least it's finally done. It just sucks that in 2010 we have to consider the end of a ban on being openly gay in the military to be a major victory.

A

angellous_evangellous

Unfortunately I agree with this. It took way too long, but at least it's finally done. It just sucks that in 2010 we have to consider the end of a ban on being openly gay in the military to be a major victory.

... it's even worse that our move out of Iraq receives no attention at all.

A

angellous_evangellous

I remember the name change...from Wiki....
"On February 17, 2010, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates announced that as of September 1, 2010, the name "Operation Iraqi Freedom" would be replaced by "Operation New Dawn".[278]"

What has changed?

For one thing, the number of troops is significantly reduced [from 300k to 50k] and the mission has changed.

The focus is entirely on training and assisting the Iraqi army.

A

angellous_evangellous

Please excuse my skepticism. Do you have any info on changes in troop levels, spending, deaths (American & Iraqi)?

Troop levels? Really?

We watched the troops leave Iraq on TV. It took 8 months to do it. They started in Dec. 2009 and it took them all the way until Aug 2010.

Since they only completed the move in August, I wouldn't expect there to be comprehensive reports on what you're requesting.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, you're right about it not getting much coverage.
I'm having trouble finding out to what extent it is so.

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

Well, you're right about it not getting much coverage.

Dude, it got almost no coverage at all in US news, which is something that I don't understand.

You're more likely to see it in news from other countries.