• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The effect of "Insh'Allah" on willpower

maro

muslimah
As we know, Muslims are supposed to say "InshAllah" ( إن شاء الله ) before talking about their plan of doing something in future or expecting something to happen in future.

The term "InshAllah" ( إن شاء الله ) means "if God wills" or "God willing." No matter how carefully we plan the future and how likely that plan may seem to materialize, the ultimate truth of the matter is that eventually it will materialize only if Allah wills. The final approval is always His for everything in life. Indeed, His approval may depend upon various aspects of our character, intent and behaviour. But unless He ordains and permits a thing to happen for us, we cannot make it happen.
The importance of saying "Insh'Allah" ( إن شاء الله )

....Here is how Senay tested this notion. He had a group of volunteers work on a series of anagrams—changing the word “sauce” to “cause,” for example, or “when” to “hewn.” But before starting this task, half the volunteers were told to contemplate whether they would work on anagrams, while the others simply thought about the fact that they would be doing anagrams in a few minutes. The difference is subtle, but the former were basically putting their mind into wondering mode, while the latter were asserting themselves and their will. It is the difference between “Will I do this?” and “I will do this.”
The results were provocative. People with wondering minds completed significantly more anagrams than did those with willful minds. In other words, the people who kept their minds open were more goal-directed and more motivated than those who declared their objective to themselves.
The Willpower Paradox: Scientific American

I think saying " Insh'Allah " while talking about the future puts our mind into the "wondering mode" and thus strengthens our willpower to achieve our future goals :)