• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Easyway to Stop Smoking

Poisonshady313

Allen Carr was a smoker. Not just a casual smoker, or a social smoker... he was a 5 pack per day smoker, for years. He tried to quit, often and with a variety of different methods that relied on willpower. But in 1983, he figured out how to quit permanently, without painful withdrawal pangs, without the gloom and doom and depression of worrying about how he'll survive without cigarettes. He figured out how to cure smokers of their addiction to nicotine so that they would never again desire to smoke, and would in fact enjoy the process of quitting.

He started a clinic in London, which became a global network of clinics that exists in more than 150 cities in over 40 countries.

And for those individuals who were too emotional to make it through a clinic session, he put his method into a book, which has since sold more than 11 million copies, is published in 57 countries, and is available in 38 different languages.

And it works. Allen Carr's own records from his clinics indicated a success rate of approx 90%, based on the full money back guarantee. Over the years, independent clinical evaluations put the success rate at somewhere between 50% and 80%.

Meanwhile, most other methods like the gum and the patch have a success rate that is less than 15%. The most widely recommended, and usually most expensive, smoking cessation methods are designed not to work. They're money making schemes, whereby a person stops for the 3 month period they're using the gum or patch, and after a few months off the gum or patch they go right back to smoking. They're usually heard saying things like "I'm gonna have to get the nicotine gum again. It worked for me before."

No, it didn't, otherwise you wouldn't be smoking now.

As for the people who actually do succeed in stopping smoking using those other methods, Carr says something along the lines of "There are people who can make love standing on a hammock, but there are easier ways to do it." (Not an exact quote. I'm going from memory here.)

And when it comes to stopping smoking, the only easy way is Easyway.

I am not now, nor have I ever been a smoker, but after reading Allen Carr's book and hearing feedback from smokers who can relate to what he says, I feel confident in saying that there's nobody who understands the psychology of smokers, and the reasons why so many find it hard to quit smoking, better than him. He's not working with a sample size of 1. He has had decades of experience personally helping many thousands of smokers to quit. Which is why I so confidently recommend Easyway to anybody that I hear is trying to quit smoking, especially if they've already had a hard time doing so.

Have any of you heard of this method before?

Do you know people who have tried it?

Do you have any questions about it?

Poisonshady313

I'm gonna try bumping this up to the top of new posts just once, hoping anyone's interested enough to have a discussion. Otherwise, I'll have to let this thread fade into oblivion.

Btw, this method has helped Anthony Hopkins, Richard Brandon, Ashton Kutcher, Ellen DeGeneres, Anjelica Huston, Jason Mraz, David Blaine, and Stewart Copeland to quit smoking. And that's only a handful of celebrities, and a drop in the bucket compared to the millions of people Easyway has turned into happy nonsmokers in the last 25 years.

Poisonshady313

I lied. I'm gonna try bumping it up again. I don't know why I feel so driven to discuss this, I just do. And seeing as how this is a discussion forum, it's the perfect place to share my thoughts and hope that perhaps someone might be interested enough to ask a question or something. Or else it'll just be a thread full of me rambling, and hoping that a mod won't lock or delete my thread.

(I promise you, this isn't spam or advertising. I don't work for Easyway, I'm not posting links for people to buy anything. I'm just fascinated by the philosophy and the method, and I enjoy talking about it.)

I was just telling someone on youtube about it, and I thought the way I expressed myself was interesting enough to share with you guys...

Here's what I said (in a series of posts, 'cause there's a less than generous character per post limit)

The physical addiction to nicotine is real, but it isn't what makes quitting hard. What makes it hard is the fear of being deprived of a crutch or a pleasure that a smoker believes he or she cannot live without.

Patches, gums, pills, shock tactics, will power... none of these do anything to remove that fear, which is why months after a "successful" attempt to quit, the "ex smoker" is going back on the gum or the patch or the pill because "it worked so well last time".

The painful and dreadful withdrawal pangs a smoker experiences when trying to quit is a physical manifestation of a psychological problem... that fear that I mentioned. That fear causes stress and anxiety which cause those unpleasant withdrawal pangs. And the smoker who (wrongly) believes that smoking relieves them of stress and anxiety feel the only way to defeat those withdrawal pangs is to surrender to them and smoke.

What needs to happen for a smoker to quit permanently, immediately, inexpensively, and not just painlessly but indeed joyously, is for them to learn the truth about why they smoke and to destroy the myths and illusions smokers have about why it's so hard to quit.

The best way, and the only way I'll ever recommend, is Easyway.

The Clinc/Seminar/Webcast (depending on what country you're in) can be costly, but the book 'The Easy Way to Stop Smoking' by Allen Carr is $15 and it works.

I just want to clarify a point. Satisfying one's nicotine fix does have a sort of stress relieving sensation, but all that is satisfied is the stress caused by the nicotine leaving one's system in the first place. An example Carr uses is of someone wearing shoes that are too small for the pleasure he gets by taking them off. It's not genuine stress relief... it's just the end of a particular aggravation caused by a useless action in the first place.

The state of peace a smoker hopes to achieve by smoking is that of the non-smoker... but it'll never happen because smoking is what causes the stress to begin with, and eventually, as is the tendency with drug addiction, the same amount of nicotine won't satisfy your cravings anymore.

Like taking one step forward and two steps back. You give yourself the illusion of making progress, but in reality, you're going backwards.

And because of this illusion, the smoker may lead himself to believe that the relief of nicotine withdrawal is enough to relieve the genuine stresses of life, and so associates stressful moments in life with a reason to smoke. But, because the only stress being relieved is that caused by the cigarette, and nothing more, it's like making payments on interest, never paying the principal, and believing you're getting closer to paying back your debt.

A smoker that can be disabused of the illusion that smoking relieves stress will have one less reason to continue smoking. One less thing to feel deprived of as a non-smoker.

By the end of the program, a smoker understands that he or she won't be deprived of anything. They're not giving anything up because there is no benefit to smoking/nicotine whatsoever. The soon to be ex smoker is confident and joyful, rather than fearful, dreadful, and doubtful. They will enjoy the process of stopping smoking, rather than suffer from it. And there will be no desire to smoke or otherwise take nicotine ever again.

Last edited:

ConfusedKuri

I'm trying to stop, but I've come to realise that I simply replace one addiction by another, the less I smoke the more chocolate I eat o_O...

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I have to look into this. I need to quit smoking asap. Lately every morning I wake up with the most horrible chest pain.

ConfusedKuri

Okay you people motivate me, there is really a way out it seems. Did any of you gain weight after you quit smoking?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Okay you people motivate me, there is really a way out it seems. Did any of you gain weight after you quit smoking?

I've gained a good bit of weight, but it wasn't all from quiting smoking. I also went from a very physically demanding job to one with much more down time and I go to night school.

ConfusedKuri

o_O that's like my BIGGEST fear, I do not wish to gain any weight...I've started excersising though, now I have to change my diet too.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Not everyone does gain weight and if you're already working out you'll probably be ahead of the game.

In my case, I significantly decreased my level of activity at the same time I stopped. So now that I have the cigarettes licked, it's time to tackle the weight.

GabrielWithoutWings

Not really.

The best thing to do is do a complete self-betterment initiative like I did. I told myself, if I quit smoking, then I'm also going to quit caffeine and soda with processed sugar.

I've quit caffeine. Sodas are actually harder than smoking and caffeine. I'm down to one a day but haven't been able to shake it.

As long as you don't exchange smoking with like, bags and bags of chips and chocolate, you'll be fine.

ConfusedKuri

Not really.

The best thing to do is do a complete self-betterment initiative like I did. I told myself, if I quit smoking, then I'm also going to quit caffeine and soda with processed sugar.

I've quit caffeine. Sodas are actually harder than smoking and caffeine. I'm down to one a day but haven't been able to shake it.

As long as you don't exchange smoking with like, bags and bags of chips and chocolate, you'll be fine.

:areyoucra There is a FAR worse alternative, women tend to exchange smoking sometimes with excessive shopping...

GabrielWithoutWings

Should I finish my current pack or just throw them away? Just talking about smoking makes me desire a cigarette...

You should make a doctor's appointment and see if Chantix is available in Germany. If so, continue to smoke normally, get your prescription filled and follow the instructions.

If you think you're brave enough to go cold-turkey, be my guest. I did it once when I was in my teens. It was Hell on Earth.