• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Earths fatal turns towards authoritarianism is alarming.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

RestlessSoul

When people are frightened and insecure, they turn to authority to protect them; be it religious or political fundamentalism, in uncertain times people crave certainty. Observation of nature, however, suggests that there is only one certainty in life, and it’s not a particularly comforting one. Maybe that’s why so few people seem willing or able to think for themselves; for just as all roads lead to Rome, so all thoughts lead to the final door.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
So are we heading into a global authoritarian future?

Yes.

Historically, we’ve been in the fist of authoritarianism many times before and come out of it again, but today we have globalisation (not bad per se) and information technology (not bad per se either), so “global” truly is global this time around. Who knows how that may impact our chances of breaking free.

I think this is very important not to forget too:

it is not all left backsliding. There is also right backsliding

The outcomes of far left and far right are not as different as is thought. As for their different arguments; I say, in the end, it’s irrelevant why you ended up in bondage.

Humbly
Hermit

Heyo

Veteran Member
Democracy faces perfect storm as the world becomes more authoritarian | International IDEA

The Global State of Democracy report is not a wakeup call, it's an alarm bell.

This quote is attributed to Jutta Urpilainen, European Commissioner for International Partnerships

I think Jutta is right.

So are we heading into a global authoritarian future?
the-tree-of-liberty-must-be-refreshed-from-time-to-time-with-the-blood-of-patriots-and-tyrants-thomas-jefferson-safety-quote.png

While I don't condone violence, this quote exemplifies the nature of social development in waves. We gained a lot of liberties in the '60s and '70s in the west and that trend expanded to developing countries later on. But we have rested on our laurels and now the pendulum swings back. Most of us have no experience what authoritarianism means. I guess we have to feel it to hate it enough to do something against it.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

While I don't condone violence, this quote exemplifies the nature of social development in waves. We gained a lot of liberties in the '60s and '70s in the west and that trend expanded to developing countries later on. But we have rested on our laurels and now the pendulum swings back. Most of us have no experience what authoritarianism means. I guess we have to feel it to hate it enough to do something against it.

That is only a part of it.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I say, in the end, it’s irrelevant why you ended up in bondage.

Hypothetically, I'd suggest there are times when authoritarianism could be justified. Survival of the species, for example. A modern problem is how global our technology is while we are still in thrall to our violent behavior. As we continue to advance weapons with more destructive power, our predilections towards fighting for land and resources become a real threat to the entirety of the planet.

We may have no choice but globally submit to some one-world government.

Hopefully, it'll be some form of democracy, however complicated it may be.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Hypothetically, I'd suggest there are times when authoritarianism could be justified. Survival of the species, for example. A modern problem is how global our technology is while we are still in thrall to our violent behavior. As we continue to advance weapons with more destructive power, our predilections towards fighting for land and resources become a real threat to the entirety of the planet.

We may have no choice but globally submit to some one-world government.

Hopefully, it'll be some form of democracy, however complicated it may be.

Yeah, in some cases I rather be a form of limited slave than a free dead human.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
the-tree-of-liberty-must-be-refreshed-from-time-to-time-with-the-blood-of-patriots-and-tyrants-thomas-jefferson-safety-quote.png

If your born into an authoritarian environment you likely would think its perfectly normal and won't understand why older people are yelling about lost freedom.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
If your born into an authoritarian environment you likely would think its perfectly normal and won't understand why oldef people are yelling about lost freedom.

And you are born into a culture with a certain version of freedom and you can't understand other versions of freedom. That also applies to me, I am just honest about.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh I agree
Regardless of which side of the political aisle it comes from, authoritarianism is awful.

Though as an aside, all my life I’ve heard from Americans just what a hellish dictatorship I live under as an Aussie.
All I could ever think of in response was just how authoritarian US politicians were.

But yeah I agree

wellwisher

Through most of history, monarchies were the original form of totalitarian state. The individual had no power and little chance for upward mobility beyond their class at birth. The Constitution of the USA was a major breakthrough for the ideal of Democracy. It outlined a strategy for how humans could self govern and get beyond monarchies. It also made provisions for the freedoms needed for upward mobility, based on talents and hard work, instead of just birth right.

For one, the Constitution required smaller government. Big Brother was closer to the totalitarian state than was Little Brother. The Founding Fathers saw this and made provisions to spread out power, through the three branches of government, to offer further checks and balances.

The Constitution is still a good litmus test to help us figure out who is pushing for a Totalitarian state, versus who is in favor of a Democratic State. Those who wish to weaken the Constitution, in favor of more government control, do so to make it easier for some form of monarchy to return.

For example, one of the pillars of a free society is free speech. Those who wish to limit free speech, knowingly or unknowingly, shift things back toward how a totalitarian state works. In such a state, all information is controlled, so the people can be fooled by a subset of all useful information. A Ministry of Disinformation, that is led by those who once condoned disinformation, is a tell.

One can tell the totalitarian tree by the types of fruit it bares. The Constitution is a good way to size up fruit, that might look exotic and new, so we can tell the difference, before it takes root.