• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Earth Is a Few Thousand Years Old

Slapstick

I have never heard anyone make this argument. I think it's a straw man. In other words, I think it is something made up by those who are against theism or don’t agree with organized religion.

So I would like for anyone to provide arguments as to where they herd it or think religious people think this, because it doesn’t seem to represent the majority of religious beliefs, and if this claim is true then it represents a small minority of people. So I would like to know what that religion is.

In other words, provide the religion or group of people that think the earth is only a few hundred years old and how they came to that conclusion. Also provide statistical data to back up those claims, including the percentage of religious people amongst current religions.

As a side note: No I will not further explain myself if you had a hard time understanding it the first time.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
YEC: Young Earth Creationists - No idea how they came to that conclusion, but it sure would take a lot of faith... Ask them yourself, there are some here on these forums I do believe.

outhouse

Atheistically
YEC: Young Earth Creationists - No idea how they came to that conclusion, but it sure would take a lot of faith... Ask them yourself, there are some here on these forums I do believe.

You have been here how long?

And have no idea what Genesis says?

No idea about the literalist who think the bible has no error?

Slapstick

If YEC exist then they can explain themselves. Otherwise I’m not begging the question.
I’m asking for those who make such claims to explain their reasons for doing so and provide statistical data too back up those claims.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

outhouse

Atheistically
I don't see anything in this posts that claims the earth is only a few thousand years old. :shrug:

Follow the link I provided and join the thread and you will see a true YEC if that is what you want.

The earth is not a few thousand years old.

shawn001

While there was, "Dr. John Lightfoot, a 17th century Anglican clergyman. He estimated that creation occurred during 4004 BCE. Bishop James Ussher in the 17th century made the same estimate a decade later, and ended up with almost all the credit."

Beliefs in the Earth's age

Bishop Ussher

The date forever tied to Bishop Ussher appears in the first paragraph of the first page of The Annals. Ussher wrote: “In the beginning, God created heaven and earth, which beginning of time, according to this chronology, occurred at the beginning of the night which preceded the 23rd of October in the year 710 of the Julian period.” In the right margin of the page, Ussher computes the date in “Christian” time as 4004 B.C.

Although Ussher brought stunning precision to his chronology, Christians for centuries had assumed a history roughly corresponding to his. The Bible itself provides all the information necessary to conclude that Creation occurred less than 5,000 years before the birth of Christ. Shakespeare, in As You Like It, has his character Rosalind say, “The poor world is almost six thousand years old.” Martin Luther, the great reformer, favored (liking the round number) 4000 B.C. as a date for creation. Astronomer Johannes Kepler concluded that 3992 B.C. was the probable date."

Bishop James Ussher Sets the Date for Creation: October 23, 4004 B.C.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I have never heard anyone make this argument. I think it's a straw man. In other words, I think it is something made up by those who are against theism or don’t agree with organized religion.

So I would like for anyone to provide arguments as to where they herd it or think religious people think this, because it doesn’t seem to represent the majority of religious beliefs, and if this claim is true then it represents a small minority of people. So I would like to know what that religion is.

In other words, provide the religion or group of people that think the earth is only a few hundred years old and how they came to that conclusion. Also provide statistical data to back up those claims, including the percentage of religious people amongst current religions.

As a side note: No I will not further explain myself if you had a hard time understanding it the first time.
I was a young Earth creationist until 10 years ago. My family, my church (some thousands of people), and the visiting preachers from America were too.

I know these people exist. I was there. I met them. But I changed.

Read some of Ken Ham's material or Answer in Genesis. Or dive into The Way of the Master.

Last edited:

shawn001

I was a young Earth creationist until 10 years ago. My family, my church (some thousands of people), and the visiting preachers from America were too.

I know these people exist. I was there. I met them. But I changed.

:)

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory."
~W. Edwards Deming

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
More often than not, it's used as a straw man. The same as how many non-religious people's interpretation of religion and God are also made of straw.

Unfortunately, there are some with these kind of views, but it seems they are massively inflated in terms of number and correlated with all or the majority of religious believers so a few anti-theists, especially online, can stroke their own superiority complexes and talk about how intelligent and enlightened they all are, and pat each other on the back and congratulate themselves on it.

It's the equivalent of a group of bored mums outside of the school talking about one of the other mum's for dying her hair, or something equally trivial.

The majority of actual creationists are, from my limited experience dealing with them, Old Earth Creationists, or even Day-Age Creationists (or "Stage Creationists").

Creationism has managed to grow as a movement because of it being attacked, and scriptural illiteracy on both sides of the fence, and because of a lack of understanding of evolution, and how evolution has been wrongly pegged with atheism by a few morons and now seems to be an accepted doctrine amongst anti-theists.

shawn001

More often than not, it's used as a straw man. The same as how many non-religious people's interpretation of religion and God are also made of straw.

Unfortunately, there are some with these kind of views, but it seems they are massively inflated in terms of number and correlated with all or the majority of religious believers so a few anti-theists, especially online, can stroke their own superiority complexes and talk about how intelligent and enlightened they all are, and pat each other on the back and congratulate themselves on it.

It's the equivalent of a group of bored mums outside of the school talking about one of the other mum's for dying her hair, or something equally trivial.

The majority of actual creationists are, from my limited experience dealing with them, Old Earth Creationists, or even Day-Age Creationists (or "Stage Creationists").

Creationism has managed to grow as a movement because of it being attacked, and scriptural illiteracy on both sides of the fence, and because of a lack of understanding of evolution, and how evolution has been wrongly pegged with atheism by a few morons and now seems to be an accepted doctrine amongst anti-theists.

All of them have a major problem with the actual science and Genesis account itself when Genesis is taken literally.

Birds of course did not come before land animals for one and of course evolved from the dinosaurs. But there are many other issues with it all.

shawn001

June 1, 2012
In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins
Highly religious Americans most likely to believe in creationism
by Frank Newport
PRINCETON, NJ -- Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. The prevalence of this creationist view of the origin of humans is essentially unchanged from 30 years ago, when Gallup first asked the question. About a third of Americans believe that humans evolved, but with God's guidance; 15% say humans evolved, but that God had no part in the process.

In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

This is a serious problem with our education system and science.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
All of them have a major problem with the actual science and Genesis account itself when Genesis is taken literally.
Indeed, but this is a much newer thing than most people actually realize, even before evolution was on the tables, more than a few scholars and priests had their issues with taking it at face value.

Birds of course did not come before land animals for one and of course evolved from the dinosaurs. But there are many other issues with it all.
Naturally not, but many people fail to grasp what Genesis is.

It's poetry, and polemic.
In short, and put kind of vulgarly, it's the ancient, literary equivalent of a rap battle.

Where one of the neighbouring Gods creates from slaying another, the Genesis story has God create it by creating it, not by fighting anything. No competition. And it's good, to boot.

I'd write more, but I gotta head off now, or I'm gonna be late and get a bollocking. Maybe later, if I remember.

shawn001

Indeed, but this is a much newer thing than most people actually realize, even before evolution was on the tables, more than a few scholars and priests had their issues with taking it at face value.

Naturally not, but many people fail to grasp what Genesis is.

It's poetry, and polemic.
In short, and put kind of vulgarly, it's the ancient, literary equivalent of a rap battle.

Where one of the neighbouring Gods creates from slaying another, the Genesis story has God create it by creating it, not by fighting anything. No competition. And it's good, to boot.

I'd write more, but I gotta head off now, or I'm gonna be late and get a bollocking. Maybe later, if I remember.

The early Sumerian creation account almost matches Genesis exactly, but is a completely different religion.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I might be a YEC. It seems likely that I believe the earth is 5774 years and 6 months old. But its also possible that I believe the earth is 15,340,505,774 years and 6 months. It could be that I believe some other ages as well.