• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ear of malchus

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In class we talked about the middle ages, specifically art moreso than the focus on theology and religion. However, the middle ages is riddle with christian art and history.

Anyway, what say you about peter cuting off the ear of malchus?

-Also- I do find it hard to believe peter as god inspired given his history; but, in general, what ye think of this?

Attachments

• Ugolino_di_Nerio_The_Betrayal_of_Christ-660x350.jpg
    Ugolino_di_Nerio_The_Betrayal_of_Christ-660x350.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
In class we talked about the middle ages, specifically art moreso than the focus on theology and religion. However, the middle ages is riddle with christian art and history.

Anyway, what say you about peter cuting off the ear of malchus?

-Also- I do find it hard to believe peter as god inspired given his history; but, in general, what ye think of this?

On earth it is fallible human. In the spirit it is God.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Simon was trying to prevent the arrest of Jesus.

Historically, if thats true I can see that. Spiritually, I guess, trying to protect jesus would be wrong if jesus was prepared to let himself die. By what means does (or if he does) god forgive him? What can a christian learn from things like that?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I would never assert otherwise.

I know. Its a comment not something you said.

Healing a wound doesnt get one free of guilt. By what means is he god inspired by trying to prevent jesus from geting killed? Is it the same simon in which the book of Peter refers?

Axe Elf

Prophet
trying to protect jesus would be wrong if jesus was prepared to let himself die. By what means does (or if he does) god forgive him? What can a christian learn from things like that?

Well, that's why Jesus stopped the disciples from fighting back, and healed the injury that Simon caused. Simon was forgiven by the same means as everyone else.

From this, a Christian can learn "ear today, gone tomorrow."

Axe Elf

Prophet
By what means is he god inspired by trying to prevent jesus from geting killed?

In the same sense that everything else has been predestined by God.

Is it the same simon in which the book of Peter refers?

Simon became Peter who wrote the epistles of Peter. This was about the only "joke" that the Bible records Jesus ever telling, and it wasn't "THAT" funny, but when Simon recognized Jesus as the Son of God, Jesus said that He would build His church upon that "rock" or foundation--and called Simon "Petra" (meaning "rock") which is also the name Peter. So Jesus was kind of making a pun.