• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Divine Feminine in the Christian Tradition?

Gloone

if there is a feminine aspect of the 'godhead' then Jesus should surely have appeared as a female rather then a male.

Femininity is about submission... Jesus fully submitted himself to the will of God when he came to earth and so he was acting on a feminine quality. It would make sense to show himself as a female yet he chose to show himself as a male. Doesnt make sense to me.
Well there is a story wrapped up behind mary from what people have told me. She could make prophecy but no one believed her. I guess after several failed attempts to communicate with people about them. She decided to have son, that way he could give the prophecies. I guess the reason being because women were treated poorly and males were actually allowed to speak and be herd.

Have you ever herd anything like that before?

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Well there is a story wrapped up behind mary from what people have told me. She could make prophecy but no one believed her. I guess after several failed attempts to communicate with people about them. She decided to have son, that way he could give the prophecies. I guess the reason being because women were treated poorly and males were actually allowed to speak and be herd.

Have you ever herd anything like that before?

no, i've never heard that one

sounds like it might be something out of the apocryphal writings though. The gnostics were right into creating stories that were not there. The Quran has a story of Mary performing a miracle by giving birth to a child who could speak from the moment he was born. Also, she didnt have a 9mth pregnancy...she was told she would have a son then immediately went to give birth.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Mary Magdalene was purportedly the wife of Jesus Christ, or at least a very close disciple that she has her own gospel that Jesus has given her power and authority.

She herself subjected herself to Jehovah's will through Jesus, and through her she gained everlasting life. In the apocryphal Scriptures, she could even be considered the New Eve, as Jesus is the New Adam.

there is good reason why the church did not believe the apocryphal writings lol ;)

atanu

Premium Member
This is an excellent thread madan. All the following resonate with one or another Vedic verse. But perceptions on both sides -- among christians and veda followers may vary. What is given below is my understanding. The word is one.

"Who is she that looketh forth as the morning, fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners?"

-- Song of Solomon 6:10

She is the very light of Truth - the first and highest nature of Truth. This is Usha (Dawn) in Veda. The daughter and consort of creator bramhA - the universal mind, whose light is Usha - who ushers the dawn. Mind's songs play with Usha in delightful creation. The Army are the aswins - the twins, day and night, death and birth and so on.

"...Unto you, O men, I call; and my voice is to the sons of man.
ye simple, understand wisdom:
-- Proverbs 8

She is the second nature of Truth. That is the song of Vac - word. She makes a man a sage or she makes a man a cruel person. She bends the bow of Lord towards the hateful. She brings forth the creation from the father down.

"And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars."

-- Revelation 12:1

She is the third nature called Prakriti. The Universe.

"O how marvelous are the works of the Lord, and how long doth he suffer with his people; yea, and how blind and impenetrable are the understandings of the children of men; for they will not seek wisdom, neither do they desire that she should rule over them!"

-- Mosiah 8:20

She is the manifestation of Truth as prajna -- wisdom, in all. She is the All Ruler. Hiranyagarbha is Her golden womb, where all worlds and all Gods take their birth and dissolve.

"I had learned to call thee Father,
Through thy Spirit from on high,
But until the key of knowledge
Was restored, I knew not why.
In the heav'ns are parents single?
No, the thought makes reason stare!
Truth is reason; truth eternal
tells me I've a mother there.

When I leave this frail existence,
When I lay this mortal by,
Father, Mother, may I meet you
In your royal courts on high?
Then, at length, when I’ve completed
All you sent me forth to do,
With your mutual approbation
Let me come and dwell with you."

-- Eliza R. Snow

Even this resonates well with Asiya Vamiya Sukta of Rig Veda -- verses seen by sage Dirghatma, who sings "My father is heaven and my mother the earth". He asks "Where is the Truth? Where is the navel of the world? Where is that sacrificial hearth which gives birth to this Universe?" And He answers "This is the navel of the world".

Thanks madan.

Last edited:
no, i've never heard that one

sounds like it might be something out of the apocryphal writings though. The gnostics were right into creating stories that were not there. The Quran has a story of Mary performing a miracle by giving birth to a child who could speak from the moment he was born. Also, she didnt have a 9mth pregnancy...she was told she would have a son then immediately went to give birth.

And you do not think that Jehovah is above miracles?

Why not have the miracle of a child speaking? After all, Jehovah caused Jeremiah to go into a belly of a whale, to make the sun stay in the sky, to cause tongues of fire to descend on the apostles, miracles, etc.

there is good reason why the church did not believe the apocryphal writings lol ;)

But there were many churches and denominations during the time of the early Pauline churches' existences. What makes Pauline Christianity better than Jewish Christianity which died out?

I believe that Jehovah is outside the Bible, unlike most of Christians.

How can you claim anything about the early church, when you do not really follow the Church Fathers, or follow early Christian worship, which was probably liturgical and based on Jewish worship of the times?

There is nothing wrong with seeing Mary Magdalene as part of Jesus' ministry, even as the wife of Jesus. After all, the apocrypha recognised by the Orthodox and Catholic Churches contain veritable treasures.

This is an excellent thread madan. All the following resonate with one or another Vedic verse. But perceptions on both sides -- among christians and veda followers may vary. What is given below is my understanding. The word is one.

She is the very light of Truth - the first and highest nature of Truth. This is Usha (Dawn) in Veda. The daughter and consort of creator bramhA - the universal mind, whose light is Usha - who ushers the dawn. Mind's songs play with Usha in delightful creation. The Army are the aswins - the twins, day and night, death and birth and so on.

She is the second nature of Truth. That is the song of Vac - word. She makes a man a sage or she makes a man a cruel person. She bends the bow of Lord towards the hateful. She brings forth the creation from the father down.

She is the third nature called Prakriti. The Universe.

She is the manifestation of Truth as prajna -- wisdom, in all. She is the All Ruler. Hiranyagarbha is Her golden womb, where all worlds and all Gods take their birth and dissolve.

Even this resonates well with Asiya Vamiya Sukta of Rig Veda -- verses seen by sage Dirghatma, who sings "My father is heaven and my mother the earth". He asks "Where is the Truth? Where is the navel of the world? Where is that sacrificial hearth which gives birth to this Universe?" And He answers "This is the navel of the world".

Thanks madan.

You're welcome! Thank you so much for revealing your thoughts and meditations!

As the Gita said in 10.34, "Among women I am fame, fortune, fine speech, memory, intelligence, steadfastness and patience." The Divine Feminine is full in these opulences and personified as Lakshmi, or Radharani. :)

atanu

Premium Member

As the Gita said in 10.34, "Among women I am fame, fortune, fine speech, memory, intelligence, steadfastness and patience." The Divine Feminine is full in these opulences and personified as Lakshmi, or Radharani. :)

Yes. And also in Saraswati and Durga -- aspects of same principle, the manifest truth. :)

Gloone

I think it would be intriguing if there were more women in history and religion, including goddesses. The one thing that is repeated in history is that women are never given a role in anything and it is sad to see things that way. I think women deserve a lot more credit than they get sometimes and it would be nice if people actually recognized them with some type of stature.

Gloone

Yeah, I believe it.

bhaktajan

All those verses up top are some indications of either a separate female Deity that sides with God, or that God also has feminine aspects; something which is lost to much of Christianity's patriarchal spins...

I should looked this up right now or even before this writting in my copy of the Purana Encylopedia (The single Volume Edition) ---it's quite wellknown tome.

I am reminded of:
Vasistha-muni [#1] (Brahma's Son) and His Wife Arundhati ---this couple are celebrated in a most unique way in Hindu society.

There are two stars that are associated with them and it is auspicious to glance up to find them by the newlyweds.

That's my scant recollection of their relevance.

I'll have to re-post later.

BTW, Vasistha's great-grandchild was Vyasadeva!!!

I wonder if it's googleble

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
just looked and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viv%C4%81ha

it's mentioned near the bottom of the page.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
I think it would be intriguing if there were more women in history and religion, including goddesses. The one thing that is repeated in history is that women are never given a role in anything and it is sad to see things that way. I think women deserve a lot more credit than they get sometimes and it would be nice if people actually recognized them with some type of stature.

That is the way i suppose it is.

I mean, men, including me, are like split ACs, hissing and making a lot of noise outside of house. Inside, however, they are silent and obedient -- fully knowing the wrath of the one who matters.

Gloone

That is the way i suppose it is.

I mean, men, including me, are like split ACs, hissing and making a lot of noise outside of house. Inside, however, they are silent and obedient -- fully knowing the wrath of the one who matters.

My God you are not kidding. I have already experienced that wrath more than I would like to remember. I don't cringe though, I may crumble, but don't cringe.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
How serious do you take enlightenment? I think it is just built into my DNA at this point. You know, it just comes natural like it always has. :D

Well. If it is built in my DNA also then I guess that I, the mere emergent property, has no role in it. This is a seious problem you have led me to.;)

Gloone

Well. If it is built in my DNA also then I guess that I, the mere emergent property, has no role in it. This is a seious problem you have led me to.;)

Don't worry it isn't much of a problem. For one the reason why i know it is in my DNA is because I can recollect the past quite easy and make much sense of it when need be. However, there isn't always a need for it. So it isn't really a problem if you don't make it out to be one.

atanu

Premium Member
Don't worry it isn't much of a problem. For one the reason why i know it is in my DNA is because I can recollect the past quite easy and make much sense of it when need be. However, there isn't always a need for it. So it isn't really a problem if you don't make it out to be one.

I could not throw frubals to you. Just wait. :foryou:

Who is gala, by the way? To be so feared that you wish to hide?

Gloone

I could not throw frubals to you. Just wait. :foryou:

Who is gala, by the way? To be so feared that you wish to hide?

This is probably a little topic but Gaea or Gaia is an ancient primordial god, mother of the earth, creation, mother of the heavens and a long list of other things. Mother of the Titans, Cyclopes, and other beings and guardians in heaven. She can give birth without the need of a partner. If she chooses to have one then she may. I was just making a reference to a primordial god and joking about the post you had made earlier(#32). It has nothing to with fear or hiding, because I think she is real and isn't nothing to hide from. She isn't to bad once you get to know her. ;)

Last edited: