• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The difference between nuns and monks.

Jonathan Bailey

Besides the obvious difference between male and female, nuns do much more good for the world than monks.

Monks seem to be boxed in their own little world and rarely get out. There are many less Catholic monks these days than Catholic nuns. Religious cloistered life is much less appealing to young men and boys than to young women and girls. But many nuns seem to get out of their convents and go out to help people in need. Monks stay at home in their monastery mainly and make beer and liquor. In older times, monks were more famous and some were famous for scientific discoveries of use to man.

Why is Catholic monkhood so unappealing to young men in modern times? Does the prospective priesthood lure men to church life in the ordained clergy capacity much more? Would Catholic young men rather be soul savers than beer, coffee and benedictine liqueur makers?

Nuns in modern times have much more celebrity status worldwide than monks do. There is no male equivalent to Mothers Teresa and Angelica. But men in the Catholic clergy get much media attention like Archbishop Fulton Sheen and various Popes. Catholic clerical life is solely comprised of men and religious life is dominated by women. It could just be the maternal nature of women to want to help the hungry, the poor children, the sick, the invalids, the drug-addicted, the elderly and the dying as well as to teach. Men have a different sex-specific labor division in society and I guess so do monks.

Nuns are much more popular in Hollywood and comedy. It's a cultural thing. Nuns are out of the convent more and get more attention in the public eye. Everybody loves nun comedy. Everybody loves the humor of men dressed in nun habits. We are really shocked about prostitutes disguised as nuns in drama and comedy. Dirty minds fantasize as to what young pretty nuns look like naked.

Monastic life is much less appealing to men because men are naturally horn dogs, sexually speaking. Men are especially hard to be humble. There is no male pride in the monastery like going out and working to make money and be financially successful. There's no fast cars, hunting and shooting with fun guns, mountain biking, boating, fishing, camping, motorcycle riding or off-road trucks and WOMEN for monks. Monk's diets seems paltry too: not much in the way of meat, eggs and potatoes for a man's appetite.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
When molesting children monks tend to favor little boys and nuns tend to favor little boys . . . . . . hold it . . . that's a similarity, isn't it. I guess there isn't any, other than nuns no doubt get paid less and have to do the dishes.

Jonathan Bailey

When molesting children monks tend to favor little boys and nuns tend to favor little boys . . . . . . hold it . . . that's a similarity, isn't it. I guess there isn't any, other than nuns no doubt get paid less and have to do the dishes.

I thought it was the priests who were molesting little boys supposedly. Both nuns and monks have chores to do in their respective communities. I don't think nuns visit monks to do their feminine housework. I didn't have a maid to clean my barracks as an American soldier.

Back in the late 1970's, a nun in her black habit used to visit her elderly Irish Catholic mother (a friend of my family) on my street in Woodside, California. She drove a sporty early-'70's Buick Skylark Custom coupe that she owned. Nuns in California don't live in that much poverty. What vehicle did Mother Teresa drive working and living day to day in India? An elephant?

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
I thought it was the priests who were molesting little boys supposedly. Both nuns and monks have chores to do in their respective communities. I don't think nuns visit monks to do their feminine housework. I didn't have a maid to clean my barracks as an American soldier.

Back in the late 1970's, a nun in her black habit used to visit her elderly Irish Catholic mother (a friend of my family) on my street in Woodside, California. She drove a sporty early-'70's Buick Skylark Custom coupe that she owned. Nuns in California don't live in that much poverty. What vehicle did Mother Teresa drive working and living day to day in India? An elephant?
Obviously we're talking about Catholics here, and in as much as both monks and priests are guys who have devoted their lives to god, and have taken vows of celibacy I see no reason there should be any difference when it comes to pedophilia.

JJ50

I find it incredibly sad that monks and nuns are wedded to the awful Catholic dogma as they are. Whilst it is no excuse for they terrible way in which some of them conduct themselves, it doesn't help their situation, imo.

PureX

Veteran Member
Obviously we're talking about Catholics here, and in as much as both monks and priests are guys who have devoted their lives to god, and have taken vows of celibacy I see no reason there should be any difference when it comes to pedophilia.
Except that a pedophile would become a priest or a nun rather than a monk because the these would give them much better access to children. Whereas being a monk or a cloistered nun would likely deny them that all together.

The only monk I know anything about is Thomas Merton. And I think he did a LOT for other people, even if not by much direct interaction, but by his contemplative writing. He certainly did a lot for me, personally, and I never met the man. His book, "Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander" helped save my sanity during a very dark time in my life.

I have had personal interactions with nuns, in grade school, and was mostly not much impressed. They seemed to me to be quite angry, by nature, and obsessed with rules rather than ideas.

I did have one encounter with a pedophile priest, but fortunately for me, he was interrupted before he could do much of anything by another priest, his senior, who was greatly appalled and very nearly became violent. But I was very young and so don't know what the final disposition was for the pedophile priest. I do know that somehow he had managed to get himself into a 'job' that had him traveling from parish to parish like some sort of spiritual guru. Perfect cover for 'hit-and-run' pedophile. I think the idea was that he was some sort of 'recruiter' for the priesthood.