• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Difference Between Faith and Religion

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Most people would say that faith and religion go hand in hand. That, if your faith is Catholicism, your religion is also Catholic. However, it is also known that many Catholics actively go against Catholic teachings as well. Half of all Catholics are pro-choice and half of those Catholics believe the Pope is pro-choice as well. Whether you are Catholic, Protestant or Eastern Orthodoxy as your religion your faith is Christian. I consider Catholic, Lutheran, Anglican, Baptist and others to be someone's religion, but as far as their faith goes, I'd call them Christian.

As far as my beliefs goes, I practice religion in Unitarian Universalist congregations and sometimes go to silent worship in Quaker meetings. So that is my religion. However, since both faiths are essentially creedless I have my own faith that is not inherently associated with either, which I call pantheistic syntheism. My religion then is UU / Quaker and my faith is pantheistic syntheism. Syntheism in general is very similar to Quaker teachings. However, Facebook and Religious Forums do not ask for your faith, they ask for your religion.

Now I take these concepts and bring it back to you, the reader. When you answer religion on RF or Facebook, do you answer it such that you answer it based on your religion or your faith? Do you see the difference between both concepts? I know for people in creedal religions this could get confusing. I think my two examples from the exoteric and esoteric examples I made explains this quite well. So, when you answer this question do you answer it based on religion or faith?

Let me know what you think and if you see the same distinction I see.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm am Hindu.

My school of philosophy is Advaita Vedanta.

My paradigm is dharmic.

I have no "faith."

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Most people would say that faith and religion go hand in hand. That, if your faith is Catholicism, your religion is also Catholic. However, it is also known that many Catholics actively go against Catholic teachings as well. Half of all Catholics are pro-choice and half of those Catholics believe the Pope is pro-choice as well. Whether you are Catholic, Protestant or Eastern Orthodoxy as your religion your faith is Christian. I consider Catholic, Lutheran, Anglican, Baptist and others to be someone's religion, but as far as their faith goes, I'd call them Christian.

As far as my beliefs goes, I practice religion in Unitarian Universalist congregations and sometimes go to silent worship in Quaker meetings. So that is my religion. However, since both faiths are essentially creedless I have my own faith that is not inherently associated with either, which I call pantheistic syntheism. My religion then is UU / Quaker and my faith is pantheistic syntheism. Syntheism in general is very similar to Quaker teachings. However, Facebook and Religious Forums do not ask for your faith, they ask for your religion.

Now I take these concepts and bring it back to you, the reader. When you answer religion on RF or Facebook, do you answer it such that you answer it based on your religion or your faith? Do you see the difference between both concepts? I know for people in creedal religions this could get confusing. I think my two examples from the exoteric and esoteric examples I made explains this quite well. So, when you answer this question do you answer it based on religion or faith?

Yes I am confused! What are creedal and non-creedal religions?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I think people who are independently spiritual identify as religious because they see worth in religion, and would like to change it for the better. Being religious affiliated brings more community, and power to people's voices also.

I have my own faith and do not affiliate because my position has no organized representation. I identify as religious because I place supreme importance in my faith, and I organize my beliefs and convictions into a system of faith and worship. I don't believe in the supernatural, nor any deities of any kind.

I essentially feel that religion is an evolved, natural human way of thinking and having faith and convictions. I would love to see most of the major religions die out so that the more genuine faiths can take hold and grow.

The power of religion is undeniable but they lack truthful vision, and have terrible moral systems, and belief practices.

Humans are not logic machines; humans have great emotional challenges. I think religion can fulfill emotional needs with great wisdom and faith, some of which has been handed down throughout history, and much that is yet to be discovered.

I feel life is sacred, and religions of the past have filled a void in humanity with great power and major failures. It would be a waste of suffering and inspiration to give up on religion. There's a truth to it, even though that truth is cherry picked, among all the bristles and thorns.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I'm am Hindu.

My school of philosophy is Advaita Vedanta.

My paradigm is dharmic.

I have no "faith."

Do you prefer being called Hindu or Advaita Vedanta?

I mean, yeah, I use the word faith loosely. I call pantheistic syntheism my faith but my thoughts on it aren't based on faith but knowledge.

Yes I am confused! What are creedal and non-creedal religions?

Creedal religions say you need to believe in certain things to be part of their religion, and non-creedal religions don't say you need to believe in a specific faith but rather focus on a general covenant between its members.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you prefer being called Hindu or Advaita Vedanta?

I have no affinity for any labels. No preference. Call me what you will.

When asked what my religion is, I usually reply "Hindu," because there are relatively few familiar with Advaita Vedanta.

Call me Hindu, Advaitin, Vedantin, SalixIncendium, Scott, or whatever you wish.

Just don't call me late for dinner. ;)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Now I take these concepts and bring it back to you, the reader. When you answer religion on RF or Facebook, do you answer it such that you answer it based on your religion or your faith? Do you see the difference between both concepts?

So, when you answer this question do you answer it based on religion or faith?

I understand the distinction you are making, and I can see what a person might have a faith that is different from their religion, but for me my religion and my faith are the same, so my religion is the Baha'i Faith and my faith is also the Baha'i Faith. :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand the distinction you are making, and I can see what a person might have a faith that is different from their religion, but for me my religion and my faith are the same, so my religion is the Baha'i Faith and my faith is also the Baha'i Faith. :)

So what you're saying is you have faith your faith in the Baha'i Faith? At least I have faith that you are saying you have faith in your faith in Baha'i Faith.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So what you're saying is you have faith your faith in the Baha'i Faith? At least I have faith that you are saying you have faith in your faith in Baha'i Faith.
What I am saying is that for me the words religion and faith are synonymous.

That is why I said:
"for me my religion and my faith are the same, so my religion is the Baha'i Faith and my faith is also the Baha'i Faith."

But it is also true that I have a religion and I have faith in my religion. :)

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
It´s mostly in the "Abrahamic Tradition" "faith" has become an issue as these traditions have lost it´s mythological and cosmological informations in general, thus making dogmas which demands blind faith.
In other cultural religions, and even in some of the best native tribes, NATURAL KNOWLEDGE leaves no room for faith as it´s all firm convictions gathered by numerous generations of imperial observations in several thousands of years.