• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The difference between an Atheist and Theist

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
The only difference between a theist and atheist is this:

It doesn't matter if you believe in creationism or evolution for this thought experiment lets go to the source of all things. I am going to call this SOURCE. For theists this SOURCE can be God and for atheists it can be the energy that made up the original big bang it really doesn't matter.

A atheist believe the energy that made the universe is not concious. And theists believe the energy that made the universe is concious.

How did this SOURCE of everything come into existence?

It is 2 possible ways SOURCE came into existence:

1. It has always existed with no beginning and no end.
2. Magically popped into existence from nothingness.

(it was Focusedintent who wrote this, in this tread: Proving logic can't explain existence | Religious Forums)

A atheist believe the energy that made the universe is not concious. And theists believe the energy that made the universe is concious. Thats the only difference between us. very little difference really:)

This old question is always a good one for discussion, and you've stated it well.

As I see it, if a person feels that nature has always existed -- nature just being this universe, or all the multiverses -- then in essence they have 'nature' as the "Eternal" or the "Source". It's a nice post you made tho!

I had a good friend (who has passed away now), who felt that all people are connected in a kind of universal consciousness, and it seemed he saw that as reaching to wherever people might be, so not just on Earth in the future. To me, it seems he had a version, or conception, of "God", there. I know God is more than that, but what is interesting is that he did have a version.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
The only difference between a theist and atheist is this:

It doesn't matter if you believe in creationism or evolution for this thought experiment lets go to the source of all things. I am going to call this SOURCE. For theists this SOURCE can be God and for atheists it can be the energy that made up the original big bang it really doesn't matter.

A atheist believe the energy that made the universe is not concious. And theists believe the energy that made the universe is concious.

How did this SOURCE of everything come into existence?

It is 2 possible ways SOURCE came into existence:

1. It has always existed with no beginning and no end.
2. Magically popped into existence from nothingness.

(it was Focusedintent who wrote this, in this tread: Proving logic can't explain existence | Religious Forums)

A atheist believe the energy that made the universe is not concious. And theists believe the energy that made the universe is concious. Thats the only difference between us. very little difference really:)

I don't get why theists always feel the need to overcomplicate the simplicity that atheism is so much...

Atheism is about what someone does NOT believe.

Whatever you wish to claim about "energy" and "origins of the universe" and whatnot, has nothing whatsoever to do with atheism.

Atheism is a DISBELIEF of theistic claims.
It's not, in any way, a "belief" in whatever.

Just like not playing football, is not some type of sport.

Audie

Veteran Member
This old question is always a good one for discussion, and you've stated it well.

As I see it, if a person feels that nature has always existed -- nature just being this universe, or all the multiverses -- then in essence they have 'nature' as the "Eternal" or the "Source". It's a nice post you made tho!

I had a good friend (who has passed away now), who felt that all people are connected in a kind of universal consciousness, and it seemed he saw that as reaching to wherever people might be, so not just on Earth in the future. To me, it seems he had a version, or conception, of "God", there. I know God is more than that, but what is interesting is that he did have a version.

The misperceptions involved are stated clearly enough-
how a person can take opposites and decide they are
very little different, essentially that the theists are right,
and the atheists really think the same way but don't realize it.
Not.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
I don't get why theists always feel the need to overcomplicate the simplicity that atheism is so much...

Atheism is about what someone does NOT believe.

Whatever you wish to claim about "energy" and "origins of the universe" and whatnot, has nothing whatsoever to do with atheism.

Atheism is a DISBELIEF of theistic claims.
It's not, in any way, a "belief" in whatever.

Just like not playing football, is not some type of sport.

Its all framed as that atheists lack something.

Rather than that the theists caught something.

Hey, I lack hepatitis, so to those with it I am an ahepaitisist?

I'm just me, not an incomplete person defined by some
cult's point of view.

Last edited:

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
The misperceptions involved are stated clearly enough-
how a person can take opposites and decide they are
very little different, essentially that the theists are right,
and the atheists really think the same way but don't realize it.
Not.
What opposites did you have in mind there?