• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The difference between an Atheist and Theist

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The intelligent force are atoms of the neurons. Without them, there would have been no consciousness. In brain as well as in sensory organs. There is no other 'intelligent force'.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
A atheist believe the energy that made the universe is not concious. And theists believe the energy that made the universe is concious. Thats the only difference between us.

Since you believe the universe is concious you sound like theist. Since you wrote: "I think the universe and the energy that composes it is a product of (or more accurately, an appearance in) pure consciousness".
What about atheists that do not care about the origin of the universe and have not formulated any thoughts regarding it? Those that do not believe in a deity simply because they see no evidence or reason to believe in one?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Could not get it, if that matters. Here is about chalk (Chalk - Wikipedia - CaCO3), here is about bones (Bone - Wikipedia - hydroxyapatite (Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2). When a Hindu is cremated, what is left of bones is CaO (Lime), which when immersed in water gives Ca(OH)2. Calcium forms about 1.5% of the body mass of a human.

250px-Left_femur_of_extinct_elephant%2C_Alaska%2C_Ice_Age_Wellcome_L0057714.jpg
200px-Tombs-in-crypt.jpg
proxy-image
proxy-image

A bone (I suppose femur, my brother will know more. He is a doctor) from an ice-age person. Wonder what that mark is in the middle of the bone. Actual Graves of Shah Jahan and Mumtaj Mahal. Mock graves at the ground level (I have seen that, now they are out of bounds). Ancient grave remains.

Human body Element : percent mass ( 1% or more) : percent atoms
Oxygen : 65.0 : 24.0
Carbon : 18.5 : 12.0
Hydrogen : 9.5 : 62.0
Nitrogen : 3.2 : 1.1
Calcium : 1.5 : 0.22
Phosphorus : 1.0 : 0.22

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
Could not get it, if that matters. Here is about chalk (Chalk - Wikipedia - CaCO3), here is about bones (Bone - Wikipedia - hydroxyapatite (Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2). When a Hindu is cremated, what is left of bones is CaO (Lime), which when immersed in water gives Ca(OH)2. Calcium forms about 1.5% of the body mass of a human.

250px-Left_femur_of_extinct_elephant%2C_Alaska%2C_Ice_Age_Wellcome_L0057714.jpg
200px-Tombs-in-crypt.jpg
proxy-image
proxy-image

A bone (I suppose femur, my brother will know more. He is a doctor) from an ice-age person. Wonder what that mark is in the middle of the bone. Actual Graves of Shah Jahan and Mumtaj Mahal. Mock graves at the ground level (I have seen that, now they are out of bounds). Ancient grave remains.

Human body Element : percent mass ( 1% or more) : percent atoms
Oxygen : 65.0 : 24.0
Carbon : 18.5 : 12.0
Hydrogen : 9.5 : 62.0
Nitrogen : 3.2 : 1.1
Calcium : 1.5 : 0.22
Phosphorus : 1.0 : 0.22

Excellent. Dead.

But when alive, there is something more than just organic material mate. Thats why Chalk cannot compose.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
'Ayamatma Brahma' (This self is Brahman), 'So aham' (I too am that), 'Tat twam asi' (That is what you are). Brahman, which constitutes all things in the universe. Human consciousness is a flame of a candle, gets extinguished.

I wasn't talking about human consciousness. ;)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Then the interplay of physical forces? Don't make it a mystery. It is that, making things a mystery, which has landed us in a philosophical soup.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Anything that causes a response. "Karma" doctrine has been applied to animals. Have not heard of a soul reappearing as a tree or stone in Hinduism. Though 'Advaita' of my type would not exclude them. But then, my 'Advaita' does not recognize 'soul' or 'rebirth' other than chemical re-cycling. My 'Advaita' is a bit different from the normal.

I'm curious, why doesn't your Advaita involve the soul? The soul isn't god (least from a Western understanding) but everything is made up of the same energy, how can you not believe in it? Do Hindus (generalizing for sake of communication brevity) see the soul as separate to where you can say you don't believe in a soul, but you believe in X (whatever appropriate)? If I asked that right.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It is quite simple, UA; just like in case of God, there is no evidence for existence of soul. Existence of soul means persistence beyond death. There is no evidence for that either.
Most Hindus believe in existence of Gods, Goddesses and soul. They believe in heaven and hell. Some Hindus of the 'Advaita' kind believe that their soul is a part of a Universal Soul, Brahman, Paramatma.
My belief is for one continuum (Sure, I too call it Brahman), no separateness even in the least, at all times, whether for things living or non-living - the perceived being only an illusion. No mysticism, no hanky-panky.

"Eko sad, dwiteeyo nasti; nasti, nasti, na nasti kinchana"
(What exists is one, there is no second; no, no, no, not in the least)

Last edited:

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Gods and an intelligent force that brings forth consciousness are not the same things.

I maintain I'm an atheist! I deny the existence of gods but believe in an natural eternal process that is an intelligent force. Someone might say that logically leads to a God or Gods but I don't think so.
In my opinion you are theist

Audie

Veteran Member
The only difference between a theist and atheist is this:

It doesn't matter if you believe in creationism or evolution for this thought experiment lets go to the source of all things. I am going to call this SOURCE. For theists this SOURCE can be God and for atheists it can be the energy that made up the original big bang it really doesn't matter.

A atheist believe the energy that made the universe is not concious. And theists believe the energy that made the universe is concious.

How did this SOURCE of everything come into existence?

It is 2 possible ways SOURCE came into existence:

1. It has always existed with no beginning and no end.
2. Magically popped into existence from nothingness.

(it was Focusedintent who wrote this, in this tread: Proving logic can't explain existence | Religious Forums)

A atheist believe the energy that made the universe is not concious. And theists believe the energy that made the universe is concious. Thats the only difference between us. very little difference really:)
Nah

This is the difference: Why Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Religious People? | Live Science

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, I agree. Children are Children. Hindi proverb: You can do much against these three:
Raj hatha, Bal hatha and Triya hatha (Obstinacy of a king, of a child and of a woman) :)

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
The only difference between a theist and atheist is this:

It doesn't matter if you believe in creationism or evolution for this thought experiment lets go to the source of all things. I am going to call this SOURCE. For theists this SOURCE can be God and for atheists it can be the energy that made up the original big bang it really doesn't matter.

A atheist believe the energy that made the universe is not concious. And theists believe the energy that made the universe is concious.

How did this SOURCE of everything come into existence?

It is 2 possible ways SOURCE came into existence:

1. It has always existed with no beginning and no end.
2. Magically popped into existence from nothingness.

(it was Focusedintent who wrote this, in this tread: Proving logic can't explain existence | Religious Forums)

A atheist believe the energy that made the universe is not concious. And theists believe the energy that made the universe is concious. Thats the only difference between us. very little difference really:)

Looking in the thread I see some posts breaking the forum rules.

I encourage you to report any posts in the thread that break Rule #3 or Rule #9.

3 -- Trolling and Bullying

9 -- includes personal attacks, such as on your character, intelligence and so on. Rule 9 is anything Subverting/Undermining the Forum Mission -- As a community of diverse cultural and religious backgrounds, our aim is to provide a civil environment, informative, respectful and welcoming where people of diverse beliefs can discuss, compare and debate religion while engaging in fellowship with one another.

I've started to think if we just never report those breaking this rule, the forum will gradually become dysfunctional, so I think I should overcame my reluctance to report more than the most extreme. We need to report just all the posts that break the rule I think.