• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The difference between an Atheist and Theist

Audie

Veteran Member
Wind is not concious. That was my point. Many atheist believe in a source of the universe/universes who is not concious just like wind.

Humans are concious, animals are concious, plants are a little concious. Wind, the sea, gravity, electricity is not concious.

You seem to know things about atheists,
biology and physics that I am dubious that anyone else knows. Are you sure you know this stuff?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I don't know. I think plants are concious in their own way.

I don't think conciousness need a brain. I think conciousness came before the universe/universes and pysical laws. Because I believe God/the concious source/spirit is the source behind the universe/universes and pysical laws

Ok. Can you point to an example of consciousness not needing a brain?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
The point is the universe is the source not has it. There is no "source" in an atheist mind so consciousness of anything doesn't exist. They have to believe there's a source of the universe in order to determine whether or not it has consciousness.

People and animals (some say plants), have consciousness because we have a brain and mind. Trees do not neither does the wind. Each has it's on characteristics.

Source is an irrelevant word to atheists. It's just the physical universe which is the source/cause/formation thereof.

How is it conscious?

I think many atheist do not agree with you. And many will agree with you. Atheist is different people with different opinions

Audie

Veteran Member
Yah... That's the thing. It's incorporating an extra element to an already unknowable thing, adding more unknowable things to that unknowable thing. At that point, you can just add whatever you like, and before you know it, you have a fully fleshed out mythology to explain those unknowable things. As we know more things, those mythologies seem to lose more credibility.

It really is as simple as that.

Sure, why stop at God. That is so provincial, like a geocentric universe.

Why not God's God's God's God, all the way like a stack of turtles.

Starlight

Ok. Can you point to an example of consciousness not needing a brain?
God for example. God is spirit, energy. God has not a physical brain.

But in this in this psycial world. Plants maybe? But I think humans and animals have souls. Souls do finctions without a brain. But in this psycial world humans have brain. But after death, I believe we functions without our brain. Then we fuction with our soul only.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
There is another possibility you leave out, which is that God is not the universe and is transcendent which is probably more in line with traditional Philosophy. Thus you have theists who are neither atheists nor believe the universe is conscious.

I tend to get cross-eyed when people go all
binary with "only two possibilities".

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Sure, why stop at God. That is so provincial, like a geocentric universe.

Why not God's God's God's God, all the way like a stack of turtles.

But how high can you stack those turtles? :D

infinite-regress-of-turtles-L-BTGfcP-240x300.jpeg

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think many atheist do not agree with you. And many will agree with you. Atheist is different people with different opinions

That's why I said to whom this is appropriate. You're defining atheism by existence of consciousness in the universe. You've also compared this Source to god. Atheists (by virtue of the word) doesn't believe this source, consciousness, god exists.

Those who believe the big bang and existence of the physical universe would not believe it has a source and consciousness. Big bang is the source not has it.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
God for example. God is spirit, energy. I do not think God has a physical brain.

But in this in this psycial world. Plants maybe? But I think humans and animals have souls. Souls do finctions without a brain. But in this psycial world humans have brain. But after death, I believe we functions without our brain. Then we fuction with our soul only.

Well, let's consult what the english dictionary has to say about consciousness!

con·scious·ness
/ˈkän(t)SHəsnəs/
Learn to pronounce

noun
  1. the state of being awake and aware of one's surroundings.
Do plants fill this role? Are they awake and aware of their surroundings? The closest thing I can think of to that is a venus fly trap, and that only closes in response to activated triggers and a pulley system. Not exactly awake...

As for gods, I have yet to see those as actual living examples I can look at and see that, yes, indeed this is a thing without a brain that is conscious. As for souls, can you present a soul? Seems to have the same problem as trying to present a god. How can you present something that may or may not even be there?

No, those examples don't seem to hold up. Do you have something more tangible?

HonestJoe

Because I think the very much of the difference between atheism and theism is this:

A atheist believe the energy that made the universe is not concious. And theists believe the energy that made the universe is concious.
The meanings of words aren't decided by the belief on one individual though. I could believe atheists are the green bits that grow on trees but I'd be wrong.

The key question would be why are you so determined to impose this singular definition and distinction between atheists and theists (for all your talk about it being a small difference)?

Starlight

That's why I said to whom this is appropriate. You're defining atheism by existence of consciousness in the universe. You've also compared this Source to god. Atheists (by virtue of the word) doesn't believe this source, consciousness, god exists.

Those who believe the big bang and existence of the physical universe would not believe it has a source and consciousness. Big bang is the source not has it.
You misunderstood what I have written. I have never written atheist believe in a concious source

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yes many atheists do believe the universe/universes have a source. But they believe the source is an energy with no conciousness. Just like the the wind, gravity or electricity
A source doesn't mean its finite. Perhaps what you think of as a God is actually a continuum which is essentially multifaceted, comprised of eternal dynamics and flux thats ever changing.

Starlight

Do plants fill this role? Are they awake and aware of their surroundings? The closest thing I can think of to that is a venus fly trap, and that only closes in response to activated triggers and a pulley system. Not exactly awake...
I have written many times:
But in this in this psycial world. Plants maybe?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You misunderstood what I have written. I have never written atheist believe in a concious source

I said atheist does not believe there is a source/consciousness in the physical universe. They (generalizing) believe the universe (big bang) IS the (unconscious) source not has it.

What is consciousness to the physical universe?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
On the other hand there are atheists who do not make assumptions about that which we cannot examine and is unfalsifiable, and in response to the question of how the universe came to be, will just say "I don't know :shrug:". Your OP will not be addressing those atheists.
"I don't know" will make them agnostic. An atheist must believe that there is no God.
Yeah, Mr. Khan, there are soft atheists and had atheists.

Starlight

I said atheist does not believe there is a source/consciousness in the physical universe. They (generalizing) believe the universe (big bang) IS the (unconscious) source not has it.

What is consciousness to the physical universe?

you misunderstood me again

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I have written many times:
But in this in this psycial world. Plants maybe?

Hmmm... But how can you say something is a certain way if you are unsure if it is even true, though?

I think that "I don't know" is a good answer. :) If you do some research, you can find a better answer, though. This topic has been studied in depth, and that information is out there for anyone who wants to read up on it.

Until then, it's not the greatest thing to use something that you don't know is even true as evidence; especially if it's supposed to convince that person.

So; do you have any tangible examples of consciousness existing without a brain?