• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Dehumanizing Double Standards in Media Coverage of War

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Normally, I would post an excerpt from the article, but I don't think it's possible to summarize its message without reading through:

‘Double standards’: Western coverage of Ukraine war criticised

A lot of this prejudice and lack of awareness isn't even from far-right media; a lot of it is from supposed liberals. I'm not sure I would personally put all of it down to white supremacism or deliberate racism, but at best, it's extremely clueless and dismissively ethnocentric.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Putin is the only non-racist/fascist white leader I know. He helped Iran and Hezbollah and Syrian army stop ISIS while Obama created it.

To me, I can't ever trust US. They have proven themselves to be deceivers, liars, and havoc creators. I don't want them to be the power in the world.

They could've made the world better place, but all their propaganda was oriented towards Iran and we are purely evil because we oppose Israel. If it was theocracy and human right issues they would not be in bed with dictators like Saudi Arabia.

Time for the empire of hypocrisy to be stood up to.

Gargovic Malkav

Normally, I would post an excerpt from the article, but I don't think it's possible to summarize its message without reading through:

A lot of this prejudice and lack of awareness isn't even from far-right media; a lot of it is from supposed liberals. I'm not sure I would personally put all of it down to white supremacism or deliberate racism, but at best, it's extremely clueless and dismissively ethnocentric.

This argument reminds me of the way I felt when 9/11 happened.
I remember seeing it on the news and see people freak out and it made me wonder: "Stuff like this happens all the time all over the world... Why is it so much worse when it happens on American soil?"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

The article doesn't address the western perspective
of the cold war with Russia. This would also explain
(better IMO) the disparate coverage.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
All of this seems a deflection from the immediate issue: Putin invaded Ukraine. Yes in the world of international politics no one is innocent, but the problem at hand is invasion.
And in particular, because this portends more of the
same in other former Soviet satellites. And then too,
we see threats to Scandinavia. This is a larger event
than other recent wars.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Putin is the only non-racist/fascist white leader I know. He helped Iran and Hezbollah and Syrian army stop ISIS while Obama created it.

To me, I can't ever trust US. They have proven themselves to be deceivers, liars, and havoc creators. I don't want them to be the power in the world.

They could've made the world better place, but all their propaganda was oriented towards Iran and we are purely evil because we oppose Israel. If it was theocracy and human right issues they would not be in bed with dictators like Saudi Arabia.

Time for the empire of hypocrisy to be stood up to.

Putin is a murderous and expansionist dictator. My concern about inconsistency in upholding human rights shouldn't be taken as even a slight approval of his bloodthirsty adventurism.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
All of this seems a deflection from the immediate issue: Putin invaded Ukraine. Yes in the world of international politics no one is innocent, but the problem at hand is invasion.

I don't see how it's a deflection considering that it doesn't support Putin or his actions; the article simply highlights problematic inconsistency coming out of the same countries that have invaded other countries before when it was convenient for them.

Putin deserves all of the condemnation and sanctions coming his way, but raising awareness about lopsided coverage on human rights and war seems to me an essential and useful thing for any responsible media outlet to do.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
And in particular, because this portends more of the
same in other former Soviet satellites. And then too,
we see threats to Scandinavia. This is a larger event
than other recent wars.

In my opinion, it isn't a larger event than a war that killed almost half a million Iraqis, no, at least not if we go by number of civilian casualties. Saying that it is seems to underestimate the extent of the death and destruction caused by the Iraq War.

It's just more immediate at the moment. But to say it's "larger" seems too focused on a specific region's concerns. That would be understandable from a self-focused perspective, but it isn't consistent or accurate.

Last edited:

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do you care that he has contributed to killing innocent people and unnecessarily invaded another country? What is remotely "heroic" about that?

I've explained it. You deleted that thread. But it's heroic because he knows if he waited, his people would face the consequences in the future and it's obvious, what US and Nato planned with Ukraine and why they support a fascist government and organized coup. They have no shame so would sacrifice peace in Ukraine for their Agendas. This was warned about and deals were offered by Putin over the years but no budge. Nato nato much join nato, all the fascist would say, where are they now?

Well, he didn't wait to let his nation be at the weak point, but instead reacted after warning for 8 years.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do you care that he has contributed to killing innocent people and unnecessarily invaded another country? What is remotely "heroic" about that?

Your governments can easily stop the conflict but they have bold plans for the world, let's see what the counter plans of God and his forces will be.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Why is it so much worse when it happens on American soil?"

I think the issue during 9/11, was we never expected to get attacked on our own soil, by a foreign hostile power. Not with having two oceans, and two large peaceful nations bordering us.

So it came as a shock and surprise.

We've since wisened up in that regard, I think. But I doubt anyone expects full scale war to reach out shores.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member

By the way, same was said about Mohammad (s) and Ali (a). Sometimes you have no choice but to fight.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I've explained it. You deleted that thread. But it's heroic because he knows if he waited, his people would face the consequences in the future and it's obvious, what US and Nato planned with Ukraine and why they support a fascist government and organized coup. They have no shame so would sacrifice peace in Ukraine for their Agendas. This was warned about and deals were offered by Putin over the years but no budge. Nato nato much join nato, all the fascist would say, where are they now?

Well, he didn't wait to let his nation be at the weak point, but instead reacted after warning for 8 years.

He has enough military and deterrent power to negotiate without resorting to invasion and killing. His blame-shifting is merely an excuse for his military adventurism and desire to become an even more powerful autocrat.

The U.S. and NATO aren't saints either, but Putin is squarely in the wrong for invading Ukraine. He has also contributed to death and suffering in Syria. The guy is thoroughly dangerous and murderous.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Your governments can easily stop the conflict but they have bold plans for the world, let's see what the counter plans of God and his forces will be.

Stop the conflict by letting him continue to kill people unimpeded???

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Stop the conflict by letting him continue to kill people unimpeded???

You can reach out a deal and say they won't join NATO and we won't ever allow it but make a neutral state of Ukraine. Nope, you pushed Ukraine to war for a bigger picture, but all your plans will fall.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

"My governments"? I'm an Arab. I think this assumption goes to show that you attribute any opposition to Putin's crimes to Western people.

I don't have to be Western to oppose unnecessary wars. If anything, the Middle East's history of struggle with such wars should make it easier for us to empathize with other nations going through the same.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
You can reach out a deal and say they won't join NATO and we won't ever allow it but make a neutral state of Ukraine. Nope, you pushed Ukraine to war for a bigger picture, but all your plans will fall.

If that were to occur, he would still have invaded. All of those demands are pretext to invasion.

His only goal is to rebuild the glory of the former USSR, one country at a time. By force, unless those countries surrender (who would?).