• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The death penalty. Are you against it or for it?

Death penalty

• For it

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Against it

Votes: 23 67.6%

• Total voters

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Didn't you post a thread on this a while ago? ;)

I believe the death penalty is sometimes appropriate for murder one if there is no question as to guilt and the crime was heinous. I refuse to go down the road, "what if" he/she was not guilty after all? I am referring to cases where there is no question as to the guilt of the perpetrator.
Would you be prepared to attend an execution and carry it out?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
In His Book of Laws, Baha'u'llah has given death as the penalty for murder but He has permitted life imprisonment as an alternative. .......
How about the Bahai sentence for arson? Burning?
I don't know the whole list of offences that attract execution in a Bahai World, but I wouldn't want to vote for such a World.

Heyo

Veteran Member
In His Book of Laws, Baha'u'llah has given death as the penalty for murder but He has permitted life imprisonment as an alternative. Both practices would be in accordance with His Laws.

According to my beliefs, if a murderer gets the death penalty God will not impose a second penalty upon the person after that person dies, but if a murderer gets life in prison God will impose a second penalty upon that person in the afterlife. So who is really better off? I guess that would all depend upon the punishment God imposes, but I for one would not want to be on the other side of God's wrath, especially given the heinous crimes I have seen people commit.

Also, according to my beliefs, if an innocent person is falsely condemned to die, God will compensate that person a thousandfold in the afterlife for this human injustice.
Your unsupported beliefs and a book that isn't meant as judicial, do you think (secular) laws should be based on those?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Your unsupported beliefs and a book that isn't meant as judicial, do you think (secular) laws should be based on those?
No, I don't think secular laws should be based upon Baha'i Laws. Baha'i Laws do not apply to the criminal justice system because we do not live in a Baha'i world. The secular laws of whatever country we live in should be enforced and Baha'is are required to obey the secular laws of the country we live in.

Baha'i Laws only apply to Baha'is and the only ones that are applicable presently are those Laws that affect the personal lives of Baha'is, such as the Laws that apply to prayer, fasting, marriage, divorce and burial Laws.

Altfish

Veteran Member
If a dog, bear, lion, croc, etc attack or kill a human, its not locked in a zoo in cages, its killed, its euthanized. Those animals were/are only doing what is natural to them.

Why should we not do the same to humans?
Because our police/justice system get it wrong so many times and we kill an innocent person.
Because we are compassionate beings and revenge is not a good reason

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
We just aren't seeing this as an issue in places that have abolished the death penalty.
It's the same with the predictions of increased homicide rates if the death penalty is abolished. Places that have abolished it, to the contrary of these predictions have actually saw a decrease in homicides (it's believed this is due to the lack of motive and incentive to kill witnesses).

- Murder Rate by Country 2021

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Would you be prepared to attend an execution and carry it out?
There are some 403 people on death row (Google) and their punishment is being unnecessarily delayed, their cases decided and all appeals done. Furthermore, the punishment in India is by hanging, such an obsolete method. I would like a guillotine like machine which can do the job quickly and cleanly. Kindly note that death penalty in India is given for the cruelest and most heinous crimes, like rape and then killing. I would gladly do it for the government.

Kerala: Woman who allegedly killed six family members over 14 years attempts suicide in jail
Now, does this person need any mercy?

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Bit vague of me...

The murder rate in the US isn't exactly low, despite the apparent threat of the death penalty.
Yes. Death penalty, lots of guns for "personal protection," and lots of homicide and mass murders (and guns being frivolously used, drawn in the heat of the moment, and turned on their owner).

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
There are some 403 people on death row (Google) and their punishment is being unnecessarily delayed, their cases decided and all appeals done. Furthermore, the punishment in India is by hanging, such an obsolete method. I would like a guillotine like machine which can do the job quickly and cleanly. Kindly note that death penalty in India is given for the cruelest and most heinous crimes, like rape and then killing. I would gladly do it for the government.
Hi Aup....
If it has to be done, then UK style hanging is better than guillotine.

Albert Pierrepoint could execute a convict in less than 12 seconds from his first appearance in the holding room. To stand up, turn round, walk through the (previously disguised) door to the trap, be strapped, bagged and noosed, and released to fall..... 12 seconds, the lot.

Or would you prefer to be strapped to a guiilotine board and lowered over the blade?..... :D.... yuk.

Anyway, I reckon that the drop and neck-break would certainly knock out a brain instantly, whereas the guiilotone would leave the brain still aware for several seconds. *shivers*

PureX

Veteran Member
If a dog, bear, lion, croc, etc attack or kill a human, its not locked in a zoo in cages, its killed, its euthanized. Those animals were/are only doing what is natural to them.

Why should we not do the same to humans?
Because humans can reason.

Most humans that kill other humans do so because of extreme and specific circumstances, and once those circumstances are mitigated, they will not kill again. We need to respect and appreciate our ability to change, and to become better people. Otherwise, we are admitting that we are all lost to chance; and no one is guilty in that scenario. So, even if we may never trust a killer to live freely among the rest of us, they can still become a better and more positive human while incarcerated. And some can even be set free.

There are some humans, however, that are so damaged as to be unrecoverable. And they will pose a danger to everyone else for as long as they remain alive. And these few, I believe, should be executed for the benefit of all. They are the serial killers, the mass killers, the terrorist/racist/ideological killers, and those who kill their guards in incarceration.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Anyway, I reckon that the drop and neck-break would certainly knock out a brain instantly, whereas the guiilotone would leave the brain still aware for several seconds. *shivers*
I think it is the same in hanging or shooting or beheading/guillotine. Brain will be alive till it exhausts the oxygen supply. It will have an NDE from which the person will not return. But does that matter? If that is to be avoided, then perhaps Hemlock (like in case of Socrates).