• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Death Penalty and Religion

How much does your faith determine your view of the death penalty?

• Completely

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Little

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Not at all

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

No*s

Captain Obvious
Completely. While it is not flat-out condemned, almost all bishops strongly discourage it, and most teach we shouldn't do it. I take my cue from that, and I strongly discourage its practice.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
As an Agnostic, to use the term "religion" would be a stretch, but my worldview completely dominates my position on the death penalty. I believe in 100% accountability for ones actions. As a result, I have no qualms whatsoever with holding a person responsible for his/her actions.

Like Fra. Morelia and Runt, I do not see human life as having a higher degree of value than any other form of life. Once a human commits pre-meditated murder, and intentionally takes someone else's life (other than self defense), they have forfeited any claim to the right to live.

almifkhar said:
i have always looked apon religon as commonsense.
Well, to each his own.

TVOR

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I agree on the pre-meditated murderer forfeiting thier right to life, however I'm not convinced that the system as it is, is nessiarily relyable in determining the guilt of all suspects.
Many mistakes have happined and will continue to happin, is the death of a guilty man worth the death of an innocent one?
Thus I am vexed on the issue of the death penalty, I am both for and against it.:eek:

wa:do

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
This is a hard one; I suppose I have to go with the reason that the death penalty was abolished in the U.K - that being that without the death penalty there is a guarantee that no innocent person could be 'executed' in error.:)

Dr. Khan

Christians are to have nothing to do with the enforcement of death on anyone. I have for an example the Martyrs of Jesus ad30-ad300. Their blood is a testimony against any that would shed blood. Also I have witness from the Holy Spirit that the beast in Revelation 13 and 14 the Roman Empire image is "war'. :jiggy: This is overlooked by all even to this day.

Saw11_2000

How much does atheism influence my stance on the death penalty?

Not even a little.

I find it somewhat ironic that people who consider themselves "free thinkers" actually allow themselves to basically accept the liberal stance on everything. I believe in forming my own opinion on everything, death penalty, abortion, war, whatever.

Certain things I side republican, certain things I side democrat.

When I get older, I'm launching Republicrat, which will end all other political parties.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

M

Majikthise

Saw11_2000 said:
How much does atheism influence my stance on the death penalty?

Not even a little.

I find it somewhat ironic that people who consider themselves "free thinkers" actually allow themselves to basically accept the liberal stance on everything. I believe in forming my own opinion on everything, death penalty, abortion, war, whatever.

Certain things I side republican, certain things I side democrat.

When I get older, I'm launching Republicrat, which will end all other political parties.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

You must spread karma blah,blah.....

I'll join your party!!!!!!:woohoo: