• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Death of a Child

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
While I would wish this pain on no other being, curiosity takes the best of me.

If one of your offspring died, what actions would you take to cope with the loss?

Wirey

Fartist
You don't cope with the loss of a child. You incorporate it into your existence. You should get this thread deleted.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
You don't cope with the loss of a child. You incorporate it into your existence. You should get this thread deleted.

While I truly appreciate your concerns here, as someone who is experiencing this, today, I need this thread to exist.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

If one of your offspring died, what actions would you take to cope with the loss?

This is coming from a recently passed grandmother and currently dying father. So, this is where I'm coming from...

For yourself, I'd say if you live alone and have family and/or friends, try to call them or be around them a couple times a week or so. Let them know how you're doing and talk about things you'd normally do without needing to think you're "avoiding" the pain.

For others, like above keep contact and probably find daily routines around the house just in case you're not able to go out the house at the moment. I work where I live right down the hall of my apartment building. I carried my grandmother's picture with me everywhere I went (this was almost four years ago-time goes by fast). It subsided outwardly more and more. Now, I pray and have them and my father's pictures etc on my altar.

If you pray or something similar, that's another way to help with grief. It doesn't go away and how you perceive death and life would be different depending on what you believe and how you understand the nature of life which involves the passing of things and people as well.

With my father, I went to get my refuges at a temple during their ancestral veneration ceremony. They gave white followers to those who have deceased loved ones, pink for sick or ill, red for those still living. They gave me a pink flower (fake, so I didn't throw it away) and it reminds me of the purpose of my faith about understanding life and death as a continuum rather than an end.

If you have a religious community or friends or so have you to go to to talk about similar beliefs about life and death, that's another good way to go.

Keep yourself hydrated and mind active even if it's just being online. I found out there are different types of depression. I've had clinical, situational, and grief. I'd say grief is the worse because it's dead on and distinct. Finding physical and psychological ways to take care of yourself will help outset that. Also, unlike clinical depression, grief is natural. It's how you get through it rather than avoiding it all together.

Hope this helps.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

I am terribly sorry for your loss.:(
Several years back my partner went through it. His 18 year old daughter was hit by a drunk driver, two weeks before giving birth to his first grandson. Both died in the helicopter racing to hospital.

I wish I had some pithy insights, help or comfort. I can't say I do. I know how horrible it was for Doug. For months he would just burst into tears suddenly.
You don't get over it. You just get used to it.

I do wish, with the clarity of hindsight, he had joined a support group for grieving parents. He is from a huge family and had a lot of support. But of course, few had been through that. I do think such a group would have done him a lot of good. In such a group you don't have to respond the way you are expected to by family, because they're all in the same boat you are.
Just a thought.
Tom

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

Haven't had that experience.

But I lost my brother, and mother, - and we had celebration of life parties on the beach, for them.

Everybody talked about them, ate, and drank.

Funny stories were prevalent.

Funerals are morbid. I have made it plain to my family and friends that I want NO funeral, NO grave side, etc.

I put money away for a great party on the beach, - and if I could, - I would have them toss me in a skiff - push me offshore - and fire a lit arrow into it, Viking style, - while partying hardy.
viking-girl-wave-gigi.gif

EDIT - SORRY I didn't realize this was more then a question, until I read further down, after posting.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Remember the Good Times with them.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to express my condolences to anyone here who experienced a such a loss as presented in the OP. I would like those who did to understand that this is not a call-out, but a post for to help those who did experience such a loss, as I did, to aid those in coping with such a loss. As i suggested in the OP, I would never wish such an experience on another, and am hoping that those of us that did have a similar experience might be able shed light on or make easier on another who shared a similar experience.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I'm sorry to hear that, Jay. I lost mine 10 years ago today, so i can empathize.

As one who has a terminally ill adult child and one who experienced the loss of his father a couple of years ago from the same genetically inherited disease, I empathize with anyone who loses their mate or their child prematurely...most especially when prolonged suffering is involved. :(

From a Christian perspective I can say in all honesty that I would find my loss more devastating without the hope that the Bible holds out for those we have lost and are losing. I firmly believe that this life is not all there is, and that the Creator has a whole other life planned for those who don't lose faith in him. There is a reason for the way things are and we can trust that God knows what he's doing.

I believe that we were never designed to cope with death.....it was never supposed to happen...so it weighs heavily on our hearts.
sigh.gif

But in the future, I see a reunion with lost loved ones....not in heaven but right here on earth....back to their former lives, reunited with their families, and restored to perfect health. I believe that the raising of Jesus' friend Lazarus was just a demonstration of what will occur on a grand scale when Jesus rules in his Kingdom....soon to come.

Our family holds a remembrance celebration once a year to remember my husband and to celebrate his time with us. We lay flowers at the place where his ashes are scattered and we remember him with love. The place is so peaceful and beautiful, it is hard to be sad there.

Anniversaries are always difficult......but soon I believe another anniversary will become much more important.

My thoughts are with you SalixIncendium
4xvim2p.gif