• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Davinci Code", any basis in fact?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
There is also a Muslim sect that believes Jesus died in Kashmir, India at the age of 120. Who is to say what is correct?

I will stick with the basic evidence that Jesus lived in Palestine in the first century AD/BC?. Actually there are holes in the many claims of factual Divine stories of Jesus including the NT. Even though his life lacks documentation may facts about his life are reasonable. Claims of Jesus Christ appearing traveling all around the world is far more speculative, and lack evidence in those locations where the claims are made. It must be accepted that the religious claims concerning Jesus Christ in the various scriptures are just that religious claims and largely without objective verifiable evidence.

Last edited:

sooda

Veteran Member
I will stick with the basic evidence that Jesus lived in Palestine in the first century AD/BC?. Actually there are holes in ay claims of factual Divine stories of Jesus including the NT. Even though his life lacks documentation may facts about his life are reasonable. Claims of Jesus Christ appearing traveling all around the world is far more speculative, and lack evidence in those locations where the claims are made. It must be accepted that the religious claims concerning Jesus Christ i the various scriptures are just that religious claims and largely without objective verifiable evidence.

True. Its unlikely Jesus traveled more than 50 miles from home his whole life.

whirlingmerc

It's a Tom Brown fiction book, but the romantic in me insists it is true. Should I trust the likely majority of the Christian community which says it is not? Was Jesus likely married?

Pondering and wishing.

Very little.

Yes there was a Mary Magdalene
Yes there is a Jesus.
After that it didn't do so well

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
It still remains speculative concerning what you believe without any objective verifiable evidence.

You do know how insane you sound right?

It is in the Book of Mormon, which is the defining text of the LDS. It'd be like criticizing you for following the the tenants of Kitab i-Aqdas or Kitab i-Iqan despite that what those books propagate are supposedly foundation to Baha'i beliefs, therefore not being arbitrary "speculation" but simply a core aspect of that belief system (whether true or not).

Ellen Brown

It is in the Book of Mormon, which is the defining text of the LDS. It'd be like criticizing you for following the the tenants of Kitab i-Aqdas or Kitab i-Iqan despite that what those books propagate are supposedly foundation to Baha'i beliefs, therefore not being arbitrary "speculation" but simply a core aspect of that belief system (whether true or not).

Who are you writing to?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

That is not the same. I am questioning the claim of a physical event and not the spiritual teaching of the scripture nor the spiritual foundation of the beliefs. Your aggressive anti-Baha'i agenda is rearing its ugly head again,

I question the literal understanding of all ancient text concerning the claims of factual event, ie Genesis account of Creation.

Last edited:

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
You do know how insane you sound right

Sure bruv.

That is not the same. I am questioning the claim of a physical event and not the spiritual teaching of the scripture nor the spiritual foundation of the beliefs.

Don't act like Bahaism doesn't have it's own alternative theories about history and religious figures. I don't really care if you find that uncomfortable, it's not my concern. However your attack of the LDS was quite ironic.

Your aggressive anti-Baha'i agenda is rearing its ugly head again,

Pull your skirt down Susan, you're the only one "anti" here.

exchemist

Veteran Member
You just contradicted yourself. If something is "very possible" but not proven, it's still "speculative."
Not true. Anything for which there is evidence can't be described as just speculative. Plenty of things for which there is a lot of evidence and are not speculative at all remain unproven. That applies for example to all the theories of science.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Don't act like Bahaism doesn't have it's own alternative theories about history and religious figures. I don't really care if you find that uncomfortable, it's not my concern. However your attack of the LDS was quite ironic.

Pull your skirt down Susan, you're the only one "anti" here.

Your aggressive anti-Baha'i agenda is rearing its ugly head again,

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
@shunyadragon, are you ever satisfied to just exchange ideas without having to lash out at people who differ with you? I hardly ever see you do that.

I did not lash out at you. I simply disagree that Jesus came to America as LDS believes in the manner the Book of Mormon describes. I do not believe there is any archaeological evidence to support the description the Book of Mormon describes the Native American ancient history and their religion,

@Firemorphic is the one that lashed out at me with his anti-Baha'i rhetoric and rant.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I did not lash out at you. I simply disagree that Jesus came to America as LDS believes in the manner the Book of Mormon describes. I do not believe there is any archaeological evidence to support the description the Book of Mormon describes the Native American ancient history and their religion,
I'm fine with your disagreeing with me. It's just that you always seem angry. That's just my perception.

@Firemorphic is the one that lashed out at me with his anti-Baha'i rhetoric and rant.
I definitely missed that.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
That is correct, but I would think the bible at least would have mentioned it, had he been, some obvious places like when Jesus rose from the dead, it doesn't suggest that Mary had any romantic relationship with him or anything. But guess one can speculate about it.

The Bible and those times were pretty patriarchal, so I am not sure it would be mentioned. Supposedly some gnostic gospels say that Jesus and Mary Magdalene might have been romantically linked. I think it would make him more approachable to think that he was romantically inclined.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The Bible and those times were pretty patriarchal, so I am not sure it would be mentioned. Supposedly some gnostic gospels say that Jesus and Mary Magdalene might have been romantically linked. I think it would make him more approachable to think that he was romantically inclined.

. . . or simply married as all Hebrew rabbis are, and his mother Mary married with several children at least.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
It's a Tom Brown fiction book, but the romantic in me insists it is true. Should I trust the likely majority of the Christian community which says it is not? Was Jesus likely married?

Pondering and wishing.

I think that Jesus loved Magdalene, yes.
I reckon that the person at Da Vinci's last supper is Magdalene and not John.

The Oral Tradition that Magdalene got away to Gaulle is posible/probable, and Jesus may not have been crucified, OR was taken down, saved and got away with Pilate's blessing.