• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Davinci Code", any basis in fact?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
What prompted this? Mormons are open to the idea that Jesus was married, but it certainly isn't part of our doctrine. Anybody who believes He was or He wasn't is speculating, since we just don't know.

The speculation was that Jesus came to America in the missing years.

Last edited:

Dan brown? There is nothing in the bible that suggest that Jesus were married and assume that the most likely candidate would be Mary Magdalene, but it is never mentioned or suggested.

I agree with that and I would also add, the idea of Holy Grail is also not Biblical in any way. It sets focus on things that are not meaningful in Biblical point of view.

It is the spirit who gives life. The flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and are life.
John 6:63

Ellen Brown

What prompted this? Mormons are open to the idea that Jesus was married, but it certainly isn't part of our doctrine. Anybody who believes He was or He wasn't is speculating, since we just don't know.

No offense intended. This was just me being my imaginative, science fictiony self. :)

74x12

It's a Tom Brown fiction book, but the romantic in me insists it is true. Should I trust the likely majority of the Christian community which says it is not? Was Jesus likely married?

Pondering and wishing.
Jesus is married; but not to one earth woman. The bride of Christ is the church.

The Davinci code is ridiculous in my honest opinion and some people want to believe they're descendants of Jesus so they can think they're special. They aren't. However what is real is the seed of the serpent. Look people, if you're descendants of Adam and Eve you're special enough in God's eyes. In fact you're very special. What you don't need is to be descendant from angels and humans. The seed of the serpent is real. These beings often claim to be Jesus and are not.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It's a Tom Brown fiction book, but the romantic in me insists it is true. Should I trust the likely majority of the Christian community which says it is not? Was Jesus likely married?

Pondering and wishing.
That ghastly book is basically a rehash of the ideas in The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, published years before: The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail - Wikipedia

You can see that historians gave these ideas fairly short shrift.

I once tried to read "The Da Vinci Code" but threw it away in exasperation about a quarter of the way through, due to the preposterous absurdity and stereotyping of the characters and the dreadful writing. I mean, anyone who thinks a research historian is likely to live in a chateau with a butler and have a private jet is just halfwitted.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Jesus is married; but not to one earth woman. The bride of Christ is the church.

The Davinci code is ridiculous in my honest opinion and some people want to believe they're descendants of Jesus so they can think they're special. They aren't. However what is real is the seed of the serpent. Look people, if you're descendants of Adam and Eve you're special enough in God's eyes. In fact you're very special. What you don't need is to be descendant from angels and humans. The seed of the serpent is real. These beings often claim to be Jesus and are not.

This is a speculative claim as much as the Davinci code scenario. Actually it is not totally speculative that Jesus married and had brothers and sisters. The scenario of his relationship with Mary Magdelene described i the NT is very possible that of husband ad wife.

It remains that the Davinci code scenario is pure speculative fiction.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The speculation was that Jesus came to America in the missing years.
Uh... no, it wasn't. We do believe that Jesus visited the American continent, and for us, this is not just "speculation." During the "missing years" you are referring to, we believe, as do all Christians that I know of, that Jesus spent his boyhood and young adulthood in the Middle East.

dingdao

The eternal Tao cannot be told - Tao Te Ching
Most Christians consider Jesus as being in a coma form 12 to meeting the baptism by John the Baptist. Mandaeism is the religion of the followers of John the Baptist. Home - Mandaean Associations Union - اتحاد الجمعيات المندائية
Obviously, he didn't get the message of Jesus's divinity.

The legend starts with Joseph of Arimathea collecting the blood of Christ in the Holy Grail.
The receiver of the blood of Christ gets transfered to Mary Magdelene, the only one who goes to the tomb Sunday in John.

Remember, in the middle ages, it only has to show up in one "text" to be considered fact.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Uh... no, it wasn't. We do believe that Jesus visited the American continent, and for us, this is not just "speculation." During the "missing years" you are referring to, we believe, as do all Christians that I know of, that Jesus spent his boyhood and young adulthood in the Middle East.

It still remains speculative concerning what you believe without any objective verifiable evidence.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Most Christians consider Jesus as being in a coma form 12 to meeting the baptism by John the Baptist. Mandaeism is the religion of the followers of John the Baptist. Home - Mandaean Associations Union - اتحاد الجمعيات المندائية
Obviously, he didn't get the message of Jesus's divinity.

The legend starts with Joseph of Arimathea collecting the blood of Christ in the Holy Grail.
The receiver of the blood of Christ gets transferred to Mary Magdelene, the only one who goes to the tomb Sunday in John.

Remember, in the middle ages, it only has to show up in one "text" to be considered fact.

I doubt seriously most Christians believe this. No text that I know establishes anything here as fact.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It still remains speculative concerning what you believe without any objective verifiable evidence.
Obviously, any religious doctrine can be considered speculative by people who don't believe it. That was not my point. It's our doctrine that Jesus Christ visited the Americas after His resurrection. From our perspective, this is not speculation. Some Latter-day Saints believe that Jesus was married, but since we have no official doctrine with respect to His marital status, any statement by an LDS person on this matter would be purely speculative. The idea that Jesus' "missing years" were spent in America -- well, that's just your assumption as to what we speculate. :confused:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
This is a speculative claim as much as the Davinci code scenario. Actually it is not totally speculative that Jesus married and had brothers and sisters. The scenario of his relationship with Mary Magdelene described i the NT is very possible that of husband ad wife.
You just contradicted yourself. If something is "very possible" but not proven, it's still "speculative."

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Pondering and wishing.
Harmless fiction. The only thing that is truly objectionable is all the supposed violence, cover ups and political wrangling attributed to those guarding this secret. Those alone are enough to disbelieve it.