• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Darwin Fish

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
You ought to try not to let all the warring symbolism get to you. It is as unrealistic to expect evolutionists to stop displaying Darwin fish as it is to expect creationists to stop displaying Creation fish. Both sides are wearing their beliefs on their sleeves. Symbols don't mean much in the end. It is the debate behind the symbols that matters.

Youtellme

You ought to try not to let all the warring symbolism get to you. It is as unrealistic to expect evolutionists to stop displaying Darwin fish as it is to expect creationists to stop displaying Creation fish. Both sides are wearing their beliefs on their sleeves. Symbols don't mean much in the end. It is the debate behind the symbols that matters.
I was joking. I don't care. Mind you, it's not a creationist symbol, but a Christian symbol.

Copernicus

However, if you wear a swastika, the majority of people are going to see you as a Nazi.
Exactly. If you put a creation fish on your car, people are going to take you for a creationist, even if you aren't. The cross is a much more widely recognized symbol of the Christian religion, even though its use as such only goes back to the 4th century.

Copernicus

There's no such thing as a "Creation Fish." It's called a Jesus Fish.
By those who wish to promote its use as a general symbol of Christianity. I am well aware of its history, but the fact remains that it is perceived as a symbol of the creationist movement. I have no problem with that. There is nothing wrong with the symbolism of the cross either. Within the Christian community there is a struggle over which doctrines should prevail, and symbols often become political footballs in such struggles.

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
I've not heard of the icthus being used as a symbol of creationism or the creationist movement either. As far as I'm aware, it's simply a symbol of Christianity.

Copernicus

I've not heard of the icthus being used as a symbol of creationism or the creationist movement either. As far as I'm aware, it's simply a symbol of Christianity.
It certainly didn't start out in Australia and the US as a symbol of creationism, but it has become part of the political landscape in more recent times as a symbol associated with Christian conservatism. It is probably the Darwin fish caricature that drove the public to see it as a declaration of fundamentalist Christian beliefs. When I see the symbol on an SUV, I automatically stereotype the driver as having a point of view about Christianity. That perception is bound to be incorrect from time to time, but it is probably correct most of the time. I do not see crosses in the same way.

Midnight Pete

By those who wish to promote its use as a general symbol of Christianity. I am well aware of its history, but the fact remains that it is perceived as a symbol of the creationist movement. I have no problem with that. There is nothing wrong with the symbolism of the cross either. Within the Christian community there is a struggle over which doctrines should prevail, and symbols often become political footballs in such struggles.

You sound like an ex-Christian.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

Me either. This is the first I've ever heard of it, and I live in the heart of creationist country.