• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Dark Triad of Personality traits

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I am not the best person to be speaking for Audie... but...

I think she is talking about Theism. And her objection is when it is Pointless.

But, it could be Thor? Just sayin :D:cool:
We might never know.
You know how inscrutable those people are.
trump, obviously

HAH! Well.. I was wrong about that... like totally wrong. Or was I?

If anyone has the gumption to tell Audie, I'd appreciate it. ( I think she is ignoring me )

Stanyon

WWMRD?
The information you asked is in the OP

No, you posted a link and gave very little in the way of your opinion/thought. You know it is o.k. to invest yourself personally in a thread you create don't you?
Assert your personhood

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
@The Reverend Bob

Let me help you...

1. I manipulate others. - My mother manipulated male partners to give her money and even a house. She manipulated me to believe her/our whole family is evil and never let me see them. This is not normal.
  2. I lie to others. - My mother kicked me out and lied to others telling them I had moved to London. She also told them that she was abused and neglected by her whole family, which is not true and the family is split to this day. Not normal.
  3. I flatter others. My mother flattered others to get things from them. Money, holidays, clothes, you name it. It's a show, a display designed to manipulate. It's bad because it's fake.
  4. I use others for my gain. My mother kept the birthday cards my family sent and took the money in them for herself. Not normal.
  5. I lack remorse. Not Normal
  6. I am not concerned about the morality of my actions. Not Normal
  7. I am mean and insensitive. My mother called me a slacker and all sorts in front of my friends to put me down. Not normal, ever.
  8. I am a cynical person. Sometimes
  9. I need the admiration of others. Normal
  10. I crave attention. All attention is on her. Always her. Cannot have a conversation if she's not somehow involved.
  11. I want favors from others. For nothing in return and no thanks. All the time. It's how she lives her life.
  12. I seek status and prestige. To show others how much better you are than them and make them feel like ****. Not normal.

*throws water balloon full of crocodile urine at Rival's mom*

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Perhaps we don't mean the same thing when we say love. And maybe we don't mean the same thing when we say enemy. An enemy is somebody that means harm to me or those I care about. Love is treating others as if they are part of the self, which includes looking out for their best interests. I'm not going to do that for an enemy. Call that loving them from a distance if you like, but I call it exclusion.

It's semantics, but it speaks to a mindset. From a karmic perspective, when a some one does harm to another they are actually harming themselves as well. If this is true, then the best way to nurture ( love ) your enemy is to prevent them from hurting themselves or others via containment or exclusion. But not with violence. That's what I mean by 'Love... from a distance'.

OK. Thanks for the clarification. I don't harm my enemies, and I don't harbor hot anger, although I don't forget. Containment or exclusion is pretty much the way I have handled enemies already, and don't use the word love to describe that. I haven't dealt with an enemy since early 2012. Before that, it was 1999, and before that, 1989. My feelings toward all of those people are the same, and I dealt with them more or less the same - exclusion and indifference - nothing properly called love.

As I explained to @Rival , it doesn't matter if somebody is family. I expect a certain amount of integrity from those I admit into my inner circle. If you betray me or mine, you won't get a second chance. I am very comfortable with this very reasonable approach to this matter, and really don't understand what "love thine enemies" could possibly mean that makes sense. I'm also not interested in nurturing such people or protecting them from harming themselves.

Rational Agnostic

OK. Thanks for the clarification. I don't harm my enemies, and I don't harbor hot anger, although I don't forget. Containment or exclusion is pretty much the way I have handled enemies already, and don't use the word love to describe that. I haven't dealt with an enemy since early 2012. Before that, it was 1999, and before that, 1989. My feelings toward all of those people are the same, and I dealt with them more or less the same - exclusion and indifference - nothing properly called love.

As I explained to @Rival , it doesn't matter if somebody is family. I expect a certain amount of integrity from those I admit into my inner circle. If you betray me or mine, you won't get a second chance. I am very comfortable with this very reasonable approach to this matter, and really don't understand what "love thine enemies" could possibly mean that makes sense. I'm also not interested in nurturing such people or protecting them from harming themselves.

You obviously have no experience with severe mental illness in people close to you. For instance, my mom has BPD and an explosive, unpredictable temper and mood swings. But its much easier said than done to just cut people out of your life, especially people who have demonstrated that they love you. Of course it's easy for someone with a smooth life and mentally stable family members to offer their unsolicited advice and opinions, though.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

I didn't intend to criticize or correct you in any way.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
When I read something like this and think of "love thy enemy," I ask why. Why would anybody even get close to such a person, much less love them? I've known people like this, and they are simply bad news.
Love them.... from a distance.
I think the situation of parents mistreating their children is a special case. I'm not sure if a child can every fully stop loving their parents or the people who raised them. Maybe it's better in these cases for a child not to attempt to stop loving their parent. But also not give them opportunity to do more harm?

My own personal experience with my parents is tricky. I honestly think that I bring out the worst in them because I represent a polar opposite of who they are and who they want me to be. And so I keep my distance, not just for their own benefit, but for mine as well.