• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The danger of Social Media

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
thanks for sharing. That shows how sick people are nowadays.
My Master used to say "What you see in others, is also in you". The ones commenting were zombies themselves (devoid of Love)

"Not care" can be cured. Zombionisme is hard to cure. If you have a little feeling you never do such a thing. ZERO empathy + ZERO compassion

People are really sick in the head. I think the social media comments section breeds this type of culture because it is a medium in which people are detached from each other and the writers are invisible. They would never say such things in real life to others

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
People are really sick in the head. I think the social media comments section breeds this type of culture because it is a medium in which people are detached from each other and the writers are invisible. They would never say such things in real life to others
My guess is that the weaklings in the real world, who are emotional too disturbed AND full of hate, might lower themselves to this virtual behavior.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
My guess is that the weaklings in the real world, who are emotional too disturbed AND full of hate, might lower themselves to this virtual behavior.

I think so too. But I am worried about how many of these people there are in the world.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I think so too. But I am worried about how many of these people there are in the world.
A lot I think, and it will grow more and more, with all the violence on TV and the video games. Once I was in a bus, and two boys age 12 or so, entered the bus, and told the driver ... "hey there walks a cat ... drive over that cat, then we get points". This boy lost all his feelings due to some stupid video game, I think. TeleVision is TelePoison most of the time. And many video games are worse even.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I see one of the greatest dangers of social media unfolds in the pernicious act of backbiting.
Not just social media. From the playground to the highest government office, slander and defamation lurk.

So when will this stop?
It won't.
It might better for folks to learn how to reduce it and to survive despite it.

Do you post or share posts that are showing the errors of others?
Yep. On another thread I just wrote about the POTUS.

How will this pernicious habit stop?
Like bullying, theft and other corruptions, it won't.

Edit - The definition is:" malicious talk about someone who is not present".

Please discuss, Regards Tony
I could tell you some things about @Revoltingest that would make your hair stand on end. Honest.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
A lot I think, and it will grow more and more, with all the violence on TV and the video games. Once I was in a bus, and two boys age 12 or so, entered the bus, and told the driver ... "hey there walks a cat ... drive over that cat, then we get points". This boy lost all his feelings due to some stupid video game, I think. TeleVision is TelePoison most of the time. And many video games are worse even.

It is so interesting how video games today are said to affect children.

I grew up playing video games like pokemon and Mario but I knew that there was a difference between the games and reality.

Maybe kids today react that way because of the realism of gaming and movies, and their parents dont take into regard the age restrictions of games they allow their children to play?

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I see one of the greatest dangers of social media unfolds in the pernicious act of backbiting. Backbiting is one of the greatest spiritual errors any person can make. It has long lasting negative effects.

In all Faiths, they show us how to make ourselves better and not concentrate on errors that we see others may have. In the Bible it says we should "remove the plank from one's own eyes before trying to remove a splinter from another's eye."

So when will this stop?

I only use social media to track and check in beers. This is actually completely true.

So, if everyone would follow my lead, we'd be free of social media pettiness. And we'd have better hops appreciation.

Win-win!!!!

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I only use social media to track and check in beers. This is actually completely true.

So, if everyone would follow my lead, we'd be free of social media pettiness. And we'd have better hops appreciation.

Win-win!!!!

Well beer o'cklock is out for me :) Have not done that for 36 so years! It would have been wine or spirit o'clock though, did not like beer. ;)

I use it to keep contact with family, but oh so much is offered to you by them, when you know it was not them :eek:

I see, albeit maybe a good intention to start, it all turned into a money grab, so the morality of it all was thrown out the window.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I see this is an important topic for the health of humanity as a whole and it is a principal that goes across all divides of race or religion. So I offer from my Faith a hint as to how unhealthy this practice is.

"Backbiting quencheth the light of the heart, and extinguisheth the life of the soul." Bahá’u’lláh: The Kitab-i-Iqan, p. 193

In another tablet, giving ideas as to the best use of language, this was offered to consider; "...whereas the fire of the tongue devoureth both heart and soul..... the effects of.. this... endureth a century.

This is the practice asked of as a Baha'i;

"I hope that the believers of God will shun completely backbiting, each one praising the other cordially and believe that backbiting is the cause of Divine Wrath, to such an extent that if a person backbites to the extent of one word, he may become dishonored among all the people, because the most hateful characteristic of man is fault-finding. One must expose the praiseworthy qualities of the souls and not their evil attributes. The friends must overlook their shortcomings and faults and speak only of their virtues and not their defects." ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Lights of Guidance, p. 91

It would be helpful if others post from their scriptures, or their own worldview, thoughts as to how to stop this habit.

Regards Tony

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
I see one of the greatest dangers of social media unfolds in the pernicious act of backbiting. Backbiting is one of the greatest spiritual errors any person can make. It has long lasting negative effects.

In all Faiths, they show us how to make ourselves better and not concentrate on errors that we see others may have. In the Bible it says we should "remove the plank from one's own eyes before trying to remove a splinter from another's eye."

So when will this stop?

I see this as a two fold problem

And the biggest part of the problem is not so much the malicious comments people make, but the sick need for social acceptance thru various "social media" forms. Everyone trying to outdo everyone else on how clever, smart, rich, religious, good looking, successful, yada, yada, yada... they are. Then crumble into little pieces whenever someone says something un-flattering to them, especially if it's true. I think it demonstrates a complete lack of self esteem, that seems to be getting worse in society.

On the "backbiting" side of social media, it provides a platform for all the nasty cowardly people to insult others without getting smacked in the face like they would for saying things right to someone's face.