• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Danger of a Single Story

SLPCCC

I learn to question everything. Before that, I learn to question everything but from one perspective. For example, when I learned about criminals, I learned about the types of criminals. I never learned about the history and life of the person behind the bars. When you do, you see a bigger picture that can change your whole view of an individual. You see that most are not monsters but were once victims themselves. This is sometimes a matter of life or death.

Some religions teach that every other religion is wrong except for theirs. Their members are taught to question everything using only the resources that their leaders’ control or produce. This is not true of most religions but it’s something to keep in mind when researching. To be a true scholar, one must know how to go outside the box. For example, if I want to learn about Catholicism and the practice of praying to Mary, the mother of Jesus, I should not just go to a Mormon library, Jehovah’s Witness library, or a Muslim library to learn why Catholics pray to Mary. I would be only getting their views and be exposed to possible prejudices. I should also learn from the Catholics themselves to get a bigger picture as to why they pray to Mary.

Even in the educational system, we are many times exposed to only one view instead of getting a bird’s eye view of something. When I saw this video below on Ted, it made me think about these facts. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I understand what you mean. I am Hindu and New Age. Initially New Age seems slightly incompatible with Hinduism. But a couple of articles claim New Age branched out of Hinduism.

When it comes to hearing both stories, like in a courtroom, we also sometimes need a sort of no-retaliation policy in place. It'd be hard to say whether that no-retaliation policy limits views, but the alternative isn't good either, because then no one would step forward.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It's good to be aware that any of us could be subjected to a single story. So when we come across it in others we are less judgemental about it.