• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Da Vinci Code

Rudy

Have anyone read "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown. I was reading in my local newspaper that Christians are all in a tizzy over it especially, when they heard that Ron Howard is planing to make a movie based on the book.

Here's a copy of the article...

Critics fear 'Code' hurts Christianity
By Laurie Goodstein
The New York Times News Service
April 28, 2004

Fearing that the best-selling novel "The Da Vinci Code" may be sowing doubt about basic Christian beliefs, a host of Christian churches, clergy members and Bible scholars are rushing to rebut it.

In the last 13 months, readers have bought more than 6 million copies of the book, a thriller with a coverup at its center: that the church has conspired for centuries to hide evidence that Jesus was a mere mortal, married Mary Magdalene and had children whose descendants now live in France.

Word that the director Ron Howard is making a movie based on the book has only intensified the critics’ urgency.

More than 10 books are being released, most in April and May, with titles that promise to break, crack, unlock or decode "The Da Vinci Code." Churches are offering pamphlets and study guides for readers who may have been prompted by the novel to question their faith. Large audiences are showing up for Da Vinci Code lectures and sermons.

"Because this book is such a direct attack against the foundation of the Christian faith, it’s important that we speak out," said Rev. Erwin W. Lutzer, author of "The Da Vinci Deception" and senior pastor of Moody Church in Chicago, an influential evangelical pulpit.

"I don’t think it’s just an innocent novel with a fascinating plot," said James L. Garlow, co-author of "Cracking Da Vinci’s Code" and pastor of Skyline Wesleyan Church in San Diego. "I think it’s out there to win people over to an incorrect and historically inaccurate view, and it’s succeeding. People are buying into the notion that Jesus is not divine, he is not the son of God."

Among "The Da Vinci Code" critics are evangelical Protestants and Roman Catholics who regard the novel, which is laced with passages celebrating feminism, anticlericalism and pagan forms of worship, as another infiltration by liberal cultural warriors. They also say the book exploits public distrust of the Catholic Church in the aftermath of the clergy sexual abuse scandal.

The debunking books range from scholarly hardcovers to slim study guides. Among the publishers are well-known Christian houses like Tyndale and Thomas Nelson, to less-familiar outfits.

The critics and their publishers are also hoping to surf the wave of success of "The Da Vinci Code," which has been at the top of The New York Times hardcover fiction bestseller list for 56 weeks. There are 7.2 million copies of the book, published by Doubleday, now in print. Of the 10 new Da Vinci-related books, eight are by Christian publishers. One evangelical Christian publisher, Tyndale House, which hit gold with the "Left Behind" books, is about to issue not one but two titles rebutting "The Da Vinci Code."

Dan Brown, the former schoolteacher who wrote "The Da Vinci Code," is declining all interview requests, his publisher says, because he is at work on his next book. But Brown says on his Web site that he welcomes the scholarly debates over his book. He says that while it is a work of fiction, "it is my own personal belief that the theories discussed by these characters have merit."

"The Da Vinci Code" taps into growing public fascination with the origins of Christianity. More scholars have been writing popular books about the relatively recent, tantalizing archeological discoveries of Gnostic gospels and texts that offer insights into early Christians whose beliefs departed from the gospels in the New Testament.

The plot of "The Da Vinci Code" is a twist on the ancient search for the Holy Grail. Robert Langdon, portrayed as a brilliant Harvard professor of "symbology," and Sophie Neveu, a gorgeous Parisian police cryptographer, team up to decipher a trail of clues left behind by the murdered curator at the Louvre Museum, who turns out to be Neveu’s grandfather.

The pair discover that the grandfather had inherited Leonardo da Vinci’s mantle as the head of a secret society. The society guards the Holy Grail, which is not a chalice, but is instead the proof of Jesus and Mary Magdalene’s conjugal relationship; Langdon and Neveu must race the killer to find it.

Along the way they learn that the church has suppressed 80 early gospels that denied the divinity of Jesus, elevated Mary Magdalene to a leader among the apostles and celebrated the worship of female wisdom and sexuality.

The book portrays Opus Dei, a conservative worldwide network of Catholic priests and laity, as a sinister and sadistic sect.

The real Opus Dei has posted a lengthy response to "The Da Vinci Code" on its Web site, warning, "It would be irresponsible to form any opinion of Opus Dei based on reading ‘The Da Vinci Code."’

Our Sunday Visitor, the Catholic publishing company, has published a book and a pamphlet offering a Catholic response to the book. The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America has also issued its own guide.

Though for many readers the notions about Christian history in "The Da Vinci Code" seem new and startling, the novel introduces to a popular audience some of the debates that have gripped scholars of early Christian history for decades.

Darrell L. Bock, a professor of New Testament studies at Dallas Theological Seminary, sees "The Da Vinci Code" not merely as an effort to undermine traditional Christian belief but also to "redefine Christianity and the history of Christianity."

"That’s why you see so many Christian people react to a novel," said Bock, author of "Breaking the Da Vinci Code."

There is evidence that the Brown’s novel may indeed be shaping the beliefs of a generation that is famously Biblically illiterate.

Michael S. Martin, a high school French teacher in Burlington, Vt., said he decided to read "The Da Vinci Code" when he noticed that his students were reading it in Harry Potter proportions.

"We like conspiracy theories, so whether it’s JFK or Jesus, people want to think there’s something more than what they are telling us — the ‘they’ in this case being the church," Martin said.

Personally, I think that "The Passion of Christ" opened the door for movies that dispute the validity of Christianity, However Catholics should have more faith that the effects of the movie will not effect the beliefs of the people... unless, there is some truth to the story. :eek:mg:

What do you all think?

anyone can say or write anything they want whether it to be true or not. a leading pharisee after Jesus' death convinced the others to release the apostles with the wisdom that if it is of God it will endure the test of time as the Roman Catholic church has done, or it well destroy itself in due time, as other leading people astray were annihalated in no one any longer following their mischief of lies.
there may well be relatives of Christ in our world, but i am not aware of any although i did meet the cousin of the Pope, ha! john the baptist was Jesus' cousin and Elizabeth and Zachary his uncle and blood aunt. as far as i know, they had only one child. who lept in her womb when she greeted Mary with "the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. as a matter of fact the rosary is completely scriptural. the word for cousin and brother in Hebrew at that time was the same. John and James were the sons of Zebedee and Jesus had no brothers or sisters as Mary is a Virgin. i'm an Ozark hillbilly and am related to the crown of england which are disimilar and also related to a prostitute named Bell Star, but u don't have to believe that unless u trust me and know my reputation. i'm also french and proud of my ancestors in heaven. i saw a video on the life of mary magdelene and know that she migrated to france and lived as a hermitress in a cave high on a hill. i saw her skull and it was remarkebly beautiful. she must have been prettiier than Helen of Troy, who was supposedly the most beautiful person ever. hard to say huh.
the da vinci code is like certain baptists who claim they were an underground church for at least 1500 years without documentation and finally became known to the general public.
the intent is to cause confusion and make gobs of money like Lahey(spelling) and another guy who predict doom and gloom called the rapture. funny how anyone outside the U.S. have even heard of it. christianity is not a national monopoly and didnt start in this country, but the motive to make money is so powerful sometimes that people change. alter, or create facts to do so as in books, tapes, and videos.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I've read The Da Vinci Code and enjoyed it. Even though Dan Brown draws upon real theories and real places and organizations, it's just a work of fiction.

Runt

I've also read the Da Vinci Code and found it enjoyable, but I regard it as a really tame, watered-down version of the better written (and more intellectual and complex) Faucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco... which for me was a slightly difficult (but fascinating) read.

i suggest everyone read the in depth books by St. John of the Cross. they are rather diffucult to comprehend but are very revealing, like Dark Night of the Soul.
butch

quote="jonjohnrob11"]
Jesus had no brothers or sisters as Mary is a Virgin.

According to the bible Jesus had four brothers and at least two sisters.

Mr 6:3
Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses,
and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were
offended at him.

The Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodoxy Church have created two different stories to explain this verse. One story is that they were Joseph's children by a previous marriage and the other story is that they were his cousins. There was no reason for Mary to remain a virgin after Jesus was born.