• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The current state of the gaming industry now...

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Violent video games are not intended for 10-year-olds. If a kid plays violent games at that age, there's a much bigger problem than the game itself.
True

The system (with different age, different restrictions) they use seems quite good to me if parents supervise their kids

Viker

Häxan
@Snow White @Shadow Wolf @Viker @The Hammer

You have all proven to me that these games are not bad, because you all replied to me in a very, very civil way. I mean, I like kicked against the holy Grail of this Age, and still you were all so nice in your replies, explaining patiently and well. Thanks for that.

I will adjust my view on those games. My view was wrong
Don't worry about it. You weren't "wrong".

Try one of them. I bet you would enjoy some Fallout. I know I do.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Bingo, you win. You are good @Shadow Wolf

stvdv never played those games. Gaming really is not my thing. I did try once, but no... I leave those to others
I do recommend the soundtracks for Diablo 1 and 2. They're not really ambience music, but it heads that way, amd it's dark and eerie at times. The second one especially pulls from many influences, including a Wagner-esque song, a song that has lyrics in sanskrit from Hindu lore, and is where I learned what an erhu is.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
...has reached a whole new level of scum.

https://www.thegamer.com/it-costs-over-100000-to-fully-upgrade-your-character-in-diablo-immortal/

https://www.androidpolice.com/diablo-immortal-110k-greed/

I hope so much forward for a gaming crash to occur, just to put companies like this out of business.

Remember that price tag , and remember it's for only 1 single game. Free to play or not.

I don’t have that issue with Xbox or ps games,if I play online I just pay for membership although I don’t play online much as the others cheat :D,I mostly play FPS like call of duty or Red dead redemption or the Halo series but it is a very lucrative industry for sure.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Cuphead ? Although many a controller I'm sure have hit walls at a high rate of speed.

On the other hand the challenge is gone.

It's why i love difficulty levels.

I play Battle Brothers a fair bit, and you can tweak various aspects of difficulty. So I can make the battles harder, but leave the economy as easy, for example.
And I can also turn on Ironman mode (which I invariably do) which means one save file, and when I'm dead, I'm dead. No going back to the last save. I find that really injects more tension into the battles.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I play Battle Brothers a fair bit, and you can tweak various aspects of difficulty. So I can make the battles harder, but leave the economy as easy, for example.
And I can also turn on Ironman mode (which I invariably do) which means one save file, and when I'm dead, I'm dead. No going back to the last save. I find that really injects more tension into the battles.
I do that with No Man's Sky. :0]

Perma death. You die. You go right back to the very beginning.

I love the tension and immersion from that.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
@stdv there are some pretty interesting little indie games that can actually teach you quite a bit about yourself and how you view the world, etc. So, even if you have an issue with violence in gaming, there are lots of other options.
Even if you don't plan on ever playing, take a quick look here, and run a search or two...

Game Directory - Games for Change

I have some big dumb games in my catalogue, for sure. But I also have some that are very thought-provoking and challenge you more on a perception or even moral level.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The state of gaming today?
I have been enjoying games that are 20 or more years old immensely more than anything made since. There is challenge, there are skills, there is focus and concentration, planning and strategizing, missable items and characters, amazing stories and wonderful characters, and seven short stages that are more fun, challenging and rewarding than 70 hours with of pretty graphics and mindless filler gunk (that's probably asking you for more money).

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The state of gaming today?
I have been enjoying games that are 20 or more years old immensely more than anything made since. There is challenge, there are skills, there is focus and concentration, planning and strategizing, missable items and characters, amazing stories and wonderful characters, and seven short stages that are more fun, challenging and rewarding than 70 hours with of pretty graphics and mindless filler gunk (that's probably asking you for more money).

True. Not to mention the practice of stating the game is a 50GB download, but then when you download it for 2 hours thinking it's done, you find out there's 100GB in updates, too, and if you don't do the updates, there are "potential game-breaking bugs" (according to the developer).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
True. Not to mention the practice of stating the game is a 50GB download, but then when you download it for 2 hours thinking it's done, you find out there's 100GB in updates, too, and if you don't do the updates, there are "potential game-breaking bugs" (according to the developer).
That's another thing I hate with new games. You can't just pop them in and play. It's ridiculous.

Twilight Hue

..... Not to mention the practice of stating the game is a 50GB download, but then when you download it for 2 hours thinking it's done, you find out there's 100GB in updates, too, and if you don't do the updates, there are "potential game-breaking bugs" (according to the developer).
That's the thing I don't understand. The tech has improved over the years but it comes across as the devs and publishers suddenly forgot one day how to program and code properly.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
...has reached a whole new level of scum.

https://www.thegamer.com/it-costs-over-100000-to-fully-upgrade-your-character-in-diablo-immortal/

https://www.androidpolice.com/diablo-immortal-110k-greed/

I hope so much forward for a gaming crash to occur, just to put companies like this out of business.

Remember that price tag , and remember it's for only 1 single game. Free to play or not.

Blizzard is a disgraced company and mobile games are typically play2win cash grabs.

Twilight Hue

Blizzard is a disgraced company and mobile games are typically play2win cash grabs.
I agree a zillion percent.

They are getting lazier and lazier as well with repeated and copy and paste assets and using AI generated levels and character models that come out absolutely hideous.

I think mobile and games as a service puts the knife in the back of creativity and innovation as well.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

They are getting lazier and lazier as well with repeated and copy and paste assets and using AI generated levels and character models that come out absolutely hideous.

I think mobile and games as a service puts the knife in the back of creativity and innovation as well.

If I'm not mistaken Blizzard outsourced the development of the mobile game to a Chinese firm, which apparently borrows a lot of assets from a similar previously existing game by the same firm. Blizzard has been going downhill since the mid 00's; each WoW expansion got progressively worse. Then you have the recent sex scandals and disqualifying a player from some tournament for making a pro Hong Kong statement (Blizzard didn't want to risk losing access to the Chinese market).

As for randomly generated levels, the Diablo series always had that. Diablo 1 was the very first game I've ever played online back in 96.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

I agree

I think they push these games for a purpose, prepping the kids for...