• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Culture War.

Father

Devourer of Truth
Opinions on "The Culture War"
polarization.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Assuming from your image you mean in America? Im not American but have been several times over the years, so my observations:-

I believe it's misnamed, its more political disagreements. Although it does effect the way history is written so you could say it impinges on culture.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Assuming from your image you mean in America? Im not American but have been several times over the years, so my observations:-

I believe it's misnamed, its more political disagreements. Although it does effect the way history is written so you could say it impinges on culture.

No, living here, I can assure you that there is indeed a cultural rift (religious beliefs, social norms, etc. play a big part). Of course, it's a bit more nuanced than simply "left vs. right".

ChristineM

Premium Member
No, living here, I can assure you that there is indeed a cultural rift (religious beliefs, social norms, etc. play a big part). Of course, it's a bit more nuanced than simply "left vs. right".

Must admit i felt uneasy in the rural areas of southern bible belt states I've visited because i didnt automatically mention jesus or god twice every sentence.

But it seems to me the red/blue political divide (essentially) runs along similar borders to bible belt areas.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The neurotypes have separated into two opposing camps, likely promoted by targeted media and websites.
People are wired differently; they see and react to the world differently.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I remember culture wars my entire life.
Nothing new. It seems our natural state.
But I say it's a good sign...it's diversity.

PureX

Veteran Member
People are confusing their personal identity with their preferred cultural memes. Thus, they think that they are being personally attacked, and at personal risk, should anyone disparage or countermand their preferred cultural memes. This generates absurd and extreme reactions in the 'identity-confused', and promotes absurd and extreme social policy when politicians pander to it to get themselves elected.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Must admit i felt uneasy in the rural areas of southern bible belt states I've visited because i didnt automatically mention jesus or god twice every sentence.

But it seems to me the red/blue political divide (essentially) runs along similar borders to bible belt areas.

Well, that's certainly stereotypical. That's like me being uneasy visiting England because I'm afraid the place shuts down at 4:00 for a mandatory tea (enforced, of course, by squads of Soccer Hooligans that freely roam the streets). You would probably be more uncomfortable in the religious enclaves you find in the larger city in the North.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Its mostly Old versus Young. These are tumultuous times of social transformation. No one is sure what the country will be like 20 years from now, so many things are contentious. Also the news constantly tries to scare people into watching. Headlines tend to be scary and to make use of contentious issues.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The world is much changed. The food is so good and the beds so soft that many people don't even vote.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Well, that's certainly stereotypical. That's like me being uneasy visiting England because I'm afraid the place shuts down at 4:00 for a mandatory tea (enforced, of course, by squads of Soccer Hooligans that freely roam the streets). You would probably be more uncomfortable in the religious enclaves you find in the larger city in the North.

Sorry, that's the way felt in the southern states, yes jesus and/or god are used very often, one strands out as different if you don't use them.

The north and west didn't instill the same fear.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This was circulating the Internet just after the 2004 election (for those unfamiliar, red states are the ones that typically vote Republican, blue, those that go the other way):

FROM THE BLUE STATES TO THE RED

Dear Red States...

We've decided we're leaving. We intend to form our own country, Nouveau California.

We're taking the other Blue States with us. In case you aren't aware, that includes the Pacific states except Alaska (California, Oregon, Washington and Hawaii), the Great Lakes states except Indiana (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan and yes, we’re taking Ohio back), New England (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island), the Mid-Atlantic states (New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania), and Maryland and Delaware.[based on 2004 election]

We believe this split will be beneficial to both nations. For example, the residents of Nuevo California will be leaving Iraq at once. You’re “real Americans” in uniform from the Heartlands won’t have to fight beside elitists and intellectuals. If you need more people to fight, ask your evangelicals. They have plenty of spare kids (they practice abstinence only and have no Planned Parenthood clinics). Oh, and good luck with those WMD’s.

With the Blue States in hand, we will have firm control of 80 percent of the country's fresh water, more than 90 percent of the pineapple and lettuce, 92 percent of the nation's fresh fruit, 95 percent of America's quality wines (you can serve French wines at state dinners) 90 percent of all cheese, 90 percent of the high tech industry, most of the U.S. low-sulfur coal, all living redwoods, sequoias and condors, all the Ivy and Seven Sister schools, plus Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cal Tech, and MIT.

With the Red States, on the other hand, you will have to cope with 88 percent of all obese Americans (and their projected health care costs), 92 percent of all U.S. mosquitoes, nearly 100 percent of the tornadoes, 90 percent of the hurricanes, 99 percent of all Southern Baptists, virtually 100 percent of all televangelists, Rush Limbaugh.

Since your Christian Coalition’s aggregate divorce rate is 22 percent higher than ours, you get a bunch of deadbeat dads, single moms and latch key kids. You can hire our big city lawyers, however.

Additionally, 38 percent of those in the Red states believe Jonah was actually swallowed by a whale, 62 percent believe life is sacred unless we're discussing the death penalty or gun laws, 53 percent believe that Saddam was involved in 9/11.

We’ll take Old Glory since you already have enough Stars and Bars to go around. Will you be calling your country the Cunfederucy or Jeebusland? By the way, we're taking the good pot, too. You’ll still have your meth labs.

We get the coasts
You get the fly over states

We get California and the nude beaches
You get Texas, Oklahoma and the rest of cowboy America

We get Manhattan and Chesapeake Bay
You get the Dukes of Hazards states like Alabama and Mississippi

We get Hollywood, Yosemite and the best beaches
You get Iowa, incest and swamps.

We get the resorts and golf courses
You get Graceland and Nascar.

We get the Statue of Liberty and the Golden Gate Bridge.
You get Dollywood, the Appalachians and the Ozarks.

We get Stanford, Columbia, Princeton and Harvard.
You get Ole' Miss, Bob Jones University, Clemson, the University of Georgia and Columbine High School.

We get 85 percent of America's venture capital and two-thirds of the tax revenue
You get the churches and people that that don’t believe in paying taxes.

We get entrepreneurs, Intel and Microsoft.
You get WorldCom and Enron.

Peace out,

Blue States

Stanyon

WWMRD?

The red and blue colours are perfect!

BLUE PILL= Democrats choose to remain in the blissful ignorance of illusion

RED PILL= Republicans choose to embrace the sometimes painful truth of reality

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
polarization.jpg

Interesting "map." I see that Arizona was placed as the "head" of the Red guy, while Missouri, Mississippi, Tennessee, and North Carolina are in the "nether regions." That seems fair.

As for the Blue guy, Oregon is at the "head," with Michigan and Pennsylvania in the "nether regions," which seems kind of fitting, I suppose.

As for the brawl itself, it looks like Red is using a right Utah fist right into California at the Colorado River, while Blue is using a Wisconsin upper cut to hit Arizona squarely at the Colorado River.