• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Cult of Trump

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Over the past two years, Trump’s behavior has become both more disturbing and yet increasingly familiar. He relies on phrases like, “fake news,” “build the wall,” and continues to spread the divisive mentality of us-vs.-them. He lies constantly, has no conscience, never admits when he is wrong, and projects all of his shortcomings on to others. He has become more authoritarian, more outrageous, and yet many of his followers remain blindly devoted. Scott Adams, the creator of Dilbert and a major Trump supporter, calls him one of the most persuasive people living. His need to squash alternate information and his insistence of constant ego stroking are all characteristics of other famous leaders—cult leaders.

In The Cult of Trump, mind-control and licensed mental health expert Steven Hassan draws parallels between our current president and people like Jim Jones, David Koresh, Ron Hubbard and Sun Myung Moon, arguing that this presidency is in many ways like a destructive cult. He specifically details the ways in which people are influenced through an array of social psychology methods and how they become fiercely loyal and obedient. Hassan was a former “Moonie” himself, and he draws on his forty years of personal and professional experience studying hypnosis and destructive cults, working as a deprogrammer, and a strategic communications interventionist. He emphasizes why it’s crucial that we recognize ways to identify and protect ourselves and our loved ones.
https://www.amazon.com/Cult-Trump-Leading-Explains-President-ebook/dp/B07MGS7LZS

Just FYI, the link is to a Book sold on Amazon.

Do you think it is true that Trump engages in a type of mind control over his supporters?
Does the MAGA cult need deprogramming?

ecco

Veteran Member
In The Cult of Trump, mind-control and licensed mental health expert Steven Hassan draws parallels between our current president and people like Jim Jones, David Koresh, Ron Hubbard and Sun Myung Moon,
Dang. I've been making those comparisons for three years. Parallels between Trump and the aforementioned religious "leaders" and parallels between their followers and the Trump sheeples. I guess I shoulda wrote a book instead of just post on RF.

ecco

Veteran Member
The Intro can be read at the Amazon site. I challenge the Trump Sheeples to read it in order to possibly get some insight into themselves and their adoration of DT.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I don't recall a past president or politician on either 'side' who has been as passionately idolized and hero worshiped as Trump has. His following is uncritically loyal, fervently dedicated, and refuses to acknowledge any flaws, failings, mishaps, or misdeeds.

It does have all the hallmarks of a cult of personality.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
Do you think it is true that Trump engages in a type of mind control over his supporters?
He is trying to, but he's so bad at it that it only works on those who have already chosen to be controlled or those who willingly control their own minds to stay in the bubble.
Yes and no. No, because once Trump is out (or better in, as in prison) most will snap out of it eventually.
Yes, because it is generally unhealthy to be in a cult and have a personality that is vulnerable to cult like behaviour.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Over the past two years, Trump’s behavior has become both more disturbing and yet increasingly familiar. He relies on phrases like, “fake news,” “build the wall,” and continues to spread the divisive mentality of us-vs.-them. He lies constantly, has no conscience, never admits when he is wrong, and projects all of his shortcomings on to others. He has become more authoritarian, more outrageous, and yet many of his followers remain blindly devoted. Scott Adams, the creator of Dilbert and a major Trump supporter, calls him one of the most persuasive people living. His need to squash alternate information and his insistence of constant ego stroking are all characteristics of other famous leaders—cult leaders.

In The Cult of Trump, mind-control and licensed mental health expert Steven Hassan draws parallels between our current president and people like Jim Jones, David Koresh, Ron Hubbard and Sun Myung Moon, arguing that this presidency is in many ways like a destructive cult. He specifically details the ways in which people are influenced through an array of social psychology methods and how they become fiercely loyal and obedient. Hassan was a former “Moonie” himself, and he draws on his forty years of personal and professional experience studying hypnosis and destructive cults, working as a deprogrammer, and a strategic communications interventionist. He emphasizes why it’s crucial that we recognize ways to identify and protect ourselves and our loved ones.
https://www.amazon.com/Cult-Trump-Leading-Explains-President-ebook/dp/B07MGS7LZS

Trump doesn't seem nearly as intelligent as those other cult leaders. He rambles on in short often unconnected or unrelated phrases jumping from one idea to another. So I'm not sure he rises to the level of master manipulator and orator like the others. It seems more like his follower types have always been here but now they have a loud voice that matches their thinking. That is where the idolizing comes from I think.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting perspective. Not entirely sure what to make of it.

At the end of the day, there are many narratives that can be spun around this issue. At the end of the day, it also really comes down to values. What values do we want to embrace as a society and a culture? What norms do we establish? What does American culture mean? Where do those values come from?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't recall a past president or politician on either 'side' who has been as passionately idolized and hero worshiped as Trump has. His following is uncritically loyal, fervently dedicated, and refuses to acknowledge any flaws, failings, mishaps, or misdeeds.

It does have all the hallmarks of a cult of personality.
I have never had it...
In fact I am praising Tulsi Gabbard lately...for she is a pacifist...unlike Hillary and her kind.

leov

They all are the same at the end of the day, $23 Trillion national debt is a brilliant testimony of the 'righteous' way of life.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

From a second definition, "a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.", the Party of Trump does match that definition. But not all of those who have supported him are Trumpistas.

And it's useful to keep in mind that some who voted for him and support him don't pay much attention to the news because they're too busy working etc.

It's also worth noting that various TV personalities promote him ignoring the facts. They're basically agreeing with his assertion that he could shoot someone in broad daylight and get away with it.

He's not gone that far, but lying? Sure no problem? Cheating? Sure no problem. Grabbing women by the youknowwhat? No problem. Doing what dictators want and not democrats? Sure, no problem. Not paying his bills? Sure, no problem? And so forth. Hypocrisy? Sure, no problem.

But mind control? Hardly. He's no Svengali.

Skwim

Veteran Member

KING TRUMP with republicans and evangelicals.png

WE BELIEVE YOU SIRE
WE WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE YOU
....EVEN IF YOU LIE TO US
....WE WILL BELIEVE YOU
BECAUSE THE TRUTH DOESN'T MATTER

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

You believe Trump has gotten worse.
I don't think so.
It's a mix, but I see no net change.
Calling it a "cult" seems over the top.
He seems to inspire even less loyalty than other presidents.
And that's a good thing.

joe1776

Leaders need power over obedient followers. It's a sick, weak need. But, what's harder for me to understand is that obedient followers have a neurotic need to cherish their leaders.

We've all seen the old film of Adolf Hitler, after the swift defeat of France, standing in a fast-moving car in the streets of Berlin with the adoring crowd in a frenzy of adulation. Why does that happen?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Leaders need power over obedient followers. It's a sick, weak need. But, what's harder for me to understand is that obedient followers have a neurotic need to cherish their leaders.

We've all seen the old film of Adolf Hitler, after the swift defeat of France, standing in a fast-moving car in the streets of Berlin with the adoring crowd in a frenzy of adulation. Why does that happen?

It's an interesting psychology. Obviously myself not being human, I'm not affected by it at all. :rolleyes:

shmogie

Pure nonsense. There are mental health experts that support Trump.

"Mental Health Experts" be they psychiatrist or psychologist, adopt theories and methods of treatment based upon those. One psychiatrist says talk therapy is the best treatment for depression, another says anti depressive relieving drugs are the best treatment. Some are known as Chemical psychiatrists, some use combinations of modalities. Psychologists ( my sister is one with a PhD) Use different ideas of talk therapy, based again upon theories. I would NEVER got to my sister as a therapist, though I love her.

My point, I couldn't care less what one of these people says, you can always find one with a different opinion. If used in court , The prosecution will have one as an expert who says the defendant isn't crazy and must stand trial, the defendant will have one who says he is as crazy as a s**t house rat and will never be sane enough to stand trial.

It is ALL opinion, just as your authors book is just opinion. Democrats will accept it as fact, Republicans will laugh at it as pure BS. It is all about political identity for most. .

There are some democrats for whom political philosophies exercise control over them. They mentally function in a reality where anything they see as contrary to truth in their reality, is a lie. Don't confuse them with facts, they aren't interested.

In the same way there are some that have voted Republican ( Trump got nominated because of crossover democrats, and people never interested in politics before) and some Republicans whose own reality is based on Trump. not as Jim Jones, but as a man who they believe finally gave them a voice, and who they trust implicitly. As a Republican, I criticize Trump, from his behavior to a foreign policy failure ( Syria). The Trumpites do not like this.

However, I will vote for Trump again, not by any control he has over me, but because of his accomplishments in office and his goals, with which I agree.

He acts in a way I never would act, and which I do not condone. But his shtick is from a self identified brawler, who thrives in chaos.

The alternative is too horrific to contemplate, a crazy Trump is 1000% better than a sane Warren, Sanders or Biden, any day.