• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Crucifixion - An Alternative View

David T

Premium Member
I am not a Christian but I had a Christian upbringing. Like most in the west I am very familiar with the imagery of the crucifixion.
I have just found this painting by James Tissot. It is the scene as Jesus would have seen it. Not something I had ever considered.
I was a little shocked and very moved by this.

Brooklyn_Museum_-_What_Our_Lord_Saw_from_the_Cross_%28Ce_que_voyait_Notre-Seigneur_sur_la_Croix%29_-_James_Tissot.jpg
He sees the founder of christianity. There she is!!!! The question becomes who is he to her, and who is her to him? 1870 "modern" science discovered symbiosis, yet in the christian text its fundemental!!!! Apparently accedamia the university was either correct the bible is one big fat magical joke that we are to intellectualize into nonsense or it actually may be somehow related to nature!!! My wild eyed crazy unbelievable view is the text is about nature. I certainly am in the extreme crazy fringe minority view of that. Yep i am nuts the text is all about nature in ways we dont understand today.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Romans beheaded criminals, then put the head on a stake, Since there is no way Jesus could have resurrected from a beheading, since his hand holes never healed up, then a bizarre convenient punishment was needed for the myth, that did not penetrate vital organs or mutilate any body parts. Obvious signs of myth-making.

I'm fairly confident they did indeed crucify the worst criminals, but as added punishment they did not allow them to be buried and instead had men guard the corpses till they rotted and fell off of their post due to both carrion feeders and decomposition, resurrection still a myth though.

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
Romans beheaded criminals, then put the head on a stake, Since there is no way Jesus could have resurrected from a beheading, since his hand holes never healed up, then a bizarre convenient punishment was needed for the myth, that did not penetrate vital organs or mutilate any body parts. Obvious signs of myth-making.

With all due respect, you are in error in saying crucifixion was not a common punishment. As Cacotopia indicated, nailing someone to the cross was reserved for special 'criminals'. Both beheading and crucifixion were employed during he time of Jesus ministry, Jesus was seen as a threat to 'Rome's national security' and so received the special treatment. Another reason we Christians believe beheading could not occur was because Jesus was fulfilling prophesy and could not have changed the form of death sentence specified in the bible. The crucifixion of Christ fulfilled biblical prophecies concerning the coming Messiah. The prophet Isaiah foretold this event 700 years before it took place.

Last edited: