• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Crucifixion - An Alternative View

rocala

I am not a Christian but I had a Christian upbringing. Like most in the west I am very familiar with the imagery of the crucifixion.
I have just found this painting by James Tissot. It is the scene as Jesus would have seen it. Not something I had ever considered.
I was a little shocked and very moved by this.

Brooklyn_Museum_-_What_Our_Lord_Saw_from_the_Cross_%28Ce_que_voyait_Notre-Seigneur_sur_la_Croix%29_-_James_Tissot.jpg

I'm torn about what to believe about this painting. On the one hand, we get to see the world through The Savior's eyes, but on the other hand, are we worthy of doing that?

Laika

Premium Member
I am not a Christian but I had a Christian upbringing. Like most in the west I am very familiar with the imagery of the crucifixion.
I have just found this painting by James Tissot. It is the scene as Jesus would have seen it. Not something I had ever considered.

Brooklyn_Museum_-_What_Our_Lord_Saw_from_the_Cross_%28Ce_que_voyait_Notre-Seigneur_sur_la_Croix%29_-_James_Tissot.jpg

hmmm... Does Jesus see the Sinners who put him on the cross to die in agony, or the lost facing death who need to be saved? definitely an interesting idea for a painting. the feet at the bottom of the painting is a nice touch.

I'm torn about what to believe about this painting. On the one hand, we get to see the world through The Savior's eyes, but on the other hand, are we worthy of doing that?

We can aspire to be worthy of it, but we'll make mistakes along the way. ;)

rocala

Hi Lucian
I think it is ok, as the scene would have been witnessed by the other two men being executed that day. In that sense it is not uniquely the view of Jesus.
Just my P.O.V.

Magus

Romans beheaded criminals, then put the head on a stake, Since there is no way Jesus could have resurrected from a beheading, since his hand holes never healed up, then a bizarre convenient punishment was needed for the myth, that did not penetrate vital organs or mutilate any body parts. Obvious signs of myth-making.

rocala

@Magus I do not personally believe in the resurrection, a point which should be obvious. Why did the Romans crucify people, was it reserved for non criminals?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Romans beheaded criminals, then put the head on a stake, Since there is no way Jesus could have resurrected from a beheading, since his hand holes never healed up, then a bizarre convenient punishment was needed for the myth, that did not penetrate vital organs or mutilate any body parts. Obvious signs of myth-making.
From Wiki ...

Execution by beheading has been used as a form of capital punishmentfor millennia. The terms "capital offence", "capital crime", "capital punishment," derive from the Latin caput, "head", referring to the punishment for serious offences involving the forfeiture of the head; i.e.,death by beheading.[10] In some cultures, such as ancient Rome and Greece, decapitation was regarded as the most honorable form of death.[11] The extension of the "privilege" of beheading to criminals of ordinary birth was among the symbolic changes brought about by the French Revolution.[11] In other cases, such as the use of beheading by Japanese troops during World War II, its use was considered a form of contempt.[11] In recent times, it has become associated with terrorism.[11]

[emphasis added - JS]​

Jesus did not commit a capital crime, nor was He a Roman citizen. Beheading was considered an honorable punishment for severe crimes committed by Roman citizens. Beheading Him could have also been interpreted as confirming His status as "king" of the Jews, which many people called Him. Only kings captured in battle were given honorable deaths such as decapitation.

DavidFirth

:facepalm:

I suppose you are unaware that the Romans crucified people pretty regularly in Jesus' day.

Magus

:facepalm:

I suppose you are unaware that the Romans crucified people pretty regularly in Jesus' day.

Are you aware that the Greek word 'Staurus' means 'stake' , as well as the Latin word 'Crux' , from a root word meaning 'To turn or bend' , there doesn't exist a single word in Greek or Latin that specifically means 'Stick a guy on a cross' , 'Chiasm' ('χιάζω) in Greek mean 'Shaped like an X' so maybe that be a better word.

,The 'Christian Cross' doesn't come from the narratives in the Gospels , but from the Symbol of 'Military victory' (gk. Eugallion / Gospel )

12.jpg

caesar-tropaeum.jpg

That's what an actual ROMAN Cross looked like, that is where the Christian Cross came from, Do you see anyone ON the actual cross itself? Christians simply distorted this symbol.

DavidFirth

So a coin tells you that crucifixions like the one of Christ did not and could not have possibly happened.

Sure thing, sport.

Magus

So a coin tells you that crucifixions like the one of Christ did not and could not have possibly happened.

Sure thing, sport.

There is no Roman epigraphy depicting crucifixion , All depictions of a 'Cross' dating to Roman times are all symbols of Victory .

Like this, column of Trajan.
trophy1.jpg

That is a CROSS, but decorated, sometimes they would use Trees, it seems Christians have the cross symbolism backwards.

DavidFirth

There is no Roman epigraphy depicting crucifixion , All depictions of a 'Cross' dating to Roman times are all symbols of Victory .

Like this, column of Trajan.
trophy1.jpg

That is a CROSS, but decorated, sometimes they would use Trees, it seems Christians have the cross symbolism backwards.

Pardon me, but it seems to me that your theories concerning this subject are whacked.

Do you have any links that support your claims?

Magus

Pardon me, but it seems to me that your theories concerning this subject are whacked.

Do you have any links that support your claims?

Evidence written on metal and built in stone, but you must be whacked to believe a 'Jew' was nailed to a piece of wood for three days then resurrecting to save Sins, cos a mud man rib woman ate a fruit cos tempted by a talking snake. Your the one with the nonsensical supernatural claims.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

This is very beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Are you aware that the Greek word 'Staurus' means 'stake' , as well as the Latin word 'Crux' , from a root word meaning 'To turn or bend' , there doesn't exist a single word in Greek or Latin that specifically means 'Stick a guy on a cross' , 'Chiasm' ('χιάζω) in Greek mean 'Shaped like an X' so maybe that be a better word.

,The 'Christian Cross' doesn't come from the narratives in the Gospels , but from the Symbol of 'Military victory' (gk. Eugallion / Gospel )

That's what an actual ROMAN Cross looked like, that is where the Christian Cross came from, Do you see anyone ON the actual cross itself? Christians simply distorted this symbol.

The cross is an ancient sun sign.

YHVH the Sun God in his SOLAR Chariot, surrounded by the Zodiac. From an ancient synagogue floor.

upload_2017-8-3_11-40-56.png

Solar cross with halo.

CrossHalo.jpg

sun-halo-bali-2.jpg

Magus

Modern Judaism is entirely based on the 'Talmud' , produced from the 5th Century CE, Islam in the 6th and the Catholic Church was established by Innocent in the 11th century CE
so these 'Abrahamic religions' are not as Ancient as they make out to be.

YHWH, or in Phoenician, IEUE , is the same as ZEUS and IOVE , they 'Interchange' between the Ancient languages, that is why , the Temple of Zeus was built in the Old City of Jerusalem and why you will find Mosaics of Helios in ancient synagogues around Judea.

DavidFirth

Evidence written on metal and built in stone, but you must be whacked to believe a 'Jew' was nailed to a piece of wood for three days then resurrecting to save Sins, cos a mud man rib woman ate a fruit cos tempted by a talking snake. Your the one with the nonsensical supernatural claims.

I didn't think so.