• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The cross and crucifixion

We Never Know

No Slack
History of the cross and crucifixion.

In antiquity crucifixion was considered one of the most brutal and shameful modes of death. Probably originating with the Assyrians and Babylonians, it was used systematically by the Persians in the 6th century BC. Alexander the Great brought it from there to the eastern Mediterranean countries in the 4th century BC, and the Phoenicians introduced it to Rome in the 3rd century BC. It was virtually never used in pre-Hellenic Greece. The Romans perfected crucifixion for 500 years until it was abolished by Constantine I in the 4th century AD. Crucifixion in Roman times was applied mostly to slaves, disgraced soldiers, Christians and foreigners--only very rarely to Roman citizens.

Whether you believe jesus existed or not, why do you think people strongly associate the cross to/with jesus and really no one else?

I had a good idea what the believers of jesus would say. I've seen several here say jesus didn't exist so I was wondering what they would say.
Thanks for the replies. I find every reply interesting.

RestlessSoul

Yeah, interesting discussion. I'd just taken it for granted that Jesus was executed using the standard Roman method, didn't realise that they chose a particularly humiliating and cruel punishment. It obviously is cruel, but cruelty is something you expect from the Roman's. This does, perhaps, cast further light on the Centurion who finished him off with a spear. Was this purely an act of mercy, or did the authorities fear that his God might rescue his anointed from the cross?

Another question; why has the cross become the ubiquitous symbol of Christianity? There are others, the fish symbol for example, so why is it that the method of Jesus' execution is the image repeated all over the Christian world?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Nope! it was because Jesus had antagonised the Jewish authorities and they wanted him dead, if it had been anyone else they would have stoned him to death as they did with the innocent Stephen, but because Jesus had become so popular with the public, they used the Romans as their weapon to destroy their antagonist.

Pontus Pilate wanted to release him, but the Jewish authorities shouted back, “If you set him free, that means that you are not the Emperor's friend! Anyone who claims to be a king is a rebel against the Emperor!” See John 19: 12.

They then stirred up the crowd so much, Pilate was afraid that a riot was about to break out, See Matthew 27: 22-25; “What, then, shall I do with Jesus called the Messiah?” Pilate asked them. “Crucify him!” they all answered. But Pilate asked, “What crime has he committed?”

Then they started shouting at the top of their voices: “Crucify him!” When Pilate saw that it was no use to go on, but that a riot might break out, he took some water, washed his hands in front of the crowd, and said, “I am not responsible for the death of this man! This is your doing!”

The whole crowd answered, “Let the responsibility for his death fall on us and our children!”

Although Jesus cried out; "Forgive them father for they know not what they do." Our heavenly Father, who demands Justice, a few years later, in 70 A.D., fulfilled their request, by means of the same weapon that they used to kill Jesus.

Or so the biblical story goes, there is actually more evidence to support my study of roman history.