• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The crimes of the Bible

20bluebirds

I've had this debate before with Christians, and as someone who used to be a Christian, I understand how the counterargument goes. Many Christians argue that the violence attributed to god in the Bible was a just response to a situation (like a punishment for sin), or some action which was justified by good coming out of it.

One of the problems with this is that most Christians are unaware of just how violent the Bible is. A lot of Biblical passages are not mentioned in church at all, and I know that I was unaware of much of the brutality. Below is a partial list:
Jehova: "A Murderer and a Liar from the Beginning"

Many of these supposed actions cannot be said to be responses to a proportionate misdeed, as evidenced by the descriptions of innocents being killed and the level of carnage depicted.

Some Christians argue that even the most heinous acts of violence depicted within the Bible were justified by the even larger good to come as a result. But this flies in the face of the notion of an omnipotent god, as a truly all-powerful being would not be dependent upon violence to accomplish what they want. Ask yourself: If there was a famed surgeon who claimed to be "all-powerful", but he had to make painful incisions to heal his patient instead of just healing them through his will, would such a doctor be all-powerful?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I've had this debate before with Christians, and as someone who used to be a Christian, I understand how the counterargument goes. Many Christians argue that the violence attributed to god in the Bible was a just response to a situation (like a punishment for sin), or some action which was justified by good coming out of it.

One of the problems with this is that most Christians are unaware of just how violent the Bible is. A lot of Biblical passages are not mentioned in church at all, and I know that I was unaware of much of the brutality. Below is a partial list:

Many of these supposed actions cannot be said to be responses to a proportionate misdeed, as evidenced by the descriptions of innocents being killed and the level of carnage depicted.

Some Christians argue that even the most heinous acts of violence depicted within the Bible were justified by the even larger good to come as a result. But this flies in the face of the notion of an omnipotent god, as a truly all-powerful being would not be dependent upon violence to accomplish what they want. Ask yourself: If there was a famed surgeon who claimed to be "all-powerful", but he had to make painful incisions to heal his patient instead of just healing them through his will, would such a doctor be all-powerful?

There is no God, or if there is, there's no reason to believe a few tribal nomadic folks knew anything about God. That's pretty much where the argument about the Bible ends for me. No reason to think anything in the Bible NT or OT came from God.

Otherwise IMO you're just going to end up beating your head against the wall trying the use the Bible to convince Christians that their God is not a reality.

Folks are pretty creative in coming up with justifications for why God done what he did in the Bible.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
as it goes mankind was so brutally wicked, that god had to destroy those people countless times, and even set up laws to kill the brutally wicked, for these people throughout the old testament, were not of the repentant kind, and since God knows the hearts and minds of all creatures, God being perfect is justified to have and give authority to kill when God deems it necessary.

so at instant we are supposed to trust God more than anything or anybody. so the bible is the rulebook for Christians. and their is so called dispensational truth of the bible in which from age to age God in his infinite wisdom treats the situation differently. their are seven dispensations, and we are currently living in the age of grace, so the rationale of the bible goes.

MJFlores

I love to watch AMC's Walking Dead.
Actually I am a fan.
200w_d (1)wd.gif

The TV series is about battling the undead, surviving from the heinous intentions of others. Be ready for some violence.

How about Transformers? Autobots fighting the Decepticons.
View attachment 17846
Good versus Evil. Lots of violence in it.

If people don't like violence - watch A rated Cartoons
192500040a2881071e63.gif

I won't even recommend the likes of Despicable Me or Frozen because there are some hints of violence.

Let us face it, we live in a violent world. Even space is violent. The only place which is quiet is the grave.
upload_2017-6-1_13-22-18.jpeg

Or maybe not.

Now the Bible

bNoR6qmoses.gif

The book about how God protects the Israelites and how he favors one nation over another. The book about how God disciplines the Israelites through either blessings or curses. The book about why God made the universe and for whom it is for. The book about God's love and wrath. The book about Salvation. The book about the Truth.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Let us face it, we live in a violent world. Even space is violent. The only place which is quiet is the grave.
Yeah, I think, other than theological and political and military propaganda, the bible is basically just a series of Michael Bay-ish "people like big explosions" kind of stories.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
People like a good story and drama. If you are part of that, being on the "right side", playing and participating in a role on cosmic proportions, the allure of danger, the great rescue..

omega2xx

Be specific. What crime(s) are you referring to?

Lorgar-Aurelian

The violence never really bothered me. Hell the fact that the god of the bible is like a cosmic stalin never really bothered me that much either. I've never really been under the impression that if the god of the bible existed we would need to apologize and justify his actions. Partially because I think it would be abundantly clear to us all if he existed.

I think the fact that there is no evidence for such a being existing in the first place is far more damning than anything to do with his "evil" acts.

That being said the idea that he is all loving or all good seems to go right out the window pretty quickly. Punishing entire civilizations for what one person ( pharaoh) did? That's a bit ****ed ain't it? The excuse given here is that it was because of sin or because God wanted his people to be free. Then why didn't he just free them?

This is god we are talking about so he should be able to just free his people right? Well maybe he doesn't want to mess with free will so instead he'll send a bunch of plague bull**** to **** up your life and the life of all your people. Cause you know.. that isn't messing with free will now is it?

Essentially any universe with evil and a God the evil is God's fault. If he is all knowing all power ect then he knew when the evil was going to happen, how to change single events to allow the evil deed to never have occurred ect.
I think the Zoroastrians and pagans have an easy out for this. In Zoroastrianism's case there is also an evil god , not creation of the good god like satan is but an actual separate god. The Pagan's various gods tend to not be all powerful / all good sort of deal. So there ya go.

I would also say the Christian version of God make's no sense and is also the biggest dick of all. When you read the new testament you see that Jesus didn't want to speak clearly because then they would know who he was and go to heaven. Kind of a dick move Jesus. Real dick move.