• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Creationistic Method and Why It Is Fraudulent

Super Universe

Defender of God
Why would poking holes in evolution somehow create evidence or support for creationism? Are you under the false assumption that it is either one or the other?

No, it is certainly not entirely wrong. But, every claim in the Bible must be supported on its own if it is to be used as evidence for anything. I'm not saying that the Bible is wrong. I'm saying that it is a book of claims. If a claim is to be used as evidence, that claim must first be supported by outside evidence. You can't use the Bible to show that something in the Bible is true. That is circular logic.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence because they are extraordinary. If a claim suggests that someone or something violated the laws of nature (a.k.a. supernatural claim), it should not be considered unless there is verifiable evidence supporting it. If not, we would be all be in trouble.

If I say that I flew to the moon yesterday, you wouldn't believe me without evidence. If I say that Zeus came and spoke to me last night, you would probably assume I had a mental lapse unless I had some good evidence.

Likewise, supernatural claims about God's existence and his ability to bypass natural laws require evidence. They are extraordinary claims because they are claiming supernatural events. Since we do not have any evidence suggesting that supernatural events are possible, we should have a higher standard of evidence to consider them as true or possible.

Any evidence that shows that a supernatural event happened would be, by definition, extraordinary.
I merely ask that people not use logical fallacies to bolster arguments regarding the supernatural.

Why would poking holes in evolution somehow create support for creationism? Why wouldn't it?

Do I assume that it's one or the other? No, I don't assume anything, I know what happened. The angels assembled DNA on the planet and placed it inside a protein shell. The first three attempts failed to evolve but the fourth succeeded.

The bible is certainly not entirely wrong? So, what parts are correct and what parts are incorrect then? Let me guess, the parts that you don't like have to be incorrect, right?

Any claim has to be supported by outside evidence? The Tigris and Euphrates Rivers exist. Nebuchadnezzar existed. Jews exist. Jerusalem exists. Egypt exists. Pharoah's existed. Israel was conquered by the Romans is accepted history. You're saying all of these things are not outside evidence?

I can't use the bible to show that something in the bible is true? And you can't prove the bible is wrong either.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence? Once again you atheists have made this claim, please provide the evidence that proves this claim. Nothing violates the laws of nature/physics. Beings may have abilities that you can barely comprehend but nothing violates the laws of physics.

You're trying to prove that the bible can't be true because God can't be tested. You can't prove that. Why did you think you could? You can't use your incorrect definition of logic and your atheist invented rules of how to argue to disprove God to the rest of us.

We do not have any evidence that supernatural events are possible? The science books are full of supernatural events. Einstein's math showed that black holes were possible but he said that he didn't think that nature really formed them. String theory is full of supernatural events. What is "supernatural" to you today will be accepted common belief tomorrow.

You ask that people not use logical fallacies to argue? And who decides what is a logical fallacy and what isn't, the atheists?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, the phrase "anything is possible" is a short way of saying, "anything that has not been proven impossible beyond any doubt is technically a possibility". Is it possible that unicorns exist somewhere in the universe? Sure. But, since there is absolutely no evidence even leading to any likelihood of unicorns existing, there is no reason to even think about it. The same is true for scientific laws of nature. While it is technically possible that scientific laws did not govern the universe thousands of years ago, there is absolutely no evidence that is the case. There isn't even any evidence leading anyone to consider the possibility as a real likelihood. Thus, it is dishonest to use the technical possibility as a reason why carbon dating isn't reliable.

Allowing technical possibilities not supported by any evidence whatsoever to hinder scientific progress and understanding is a dangerous thing. It should be challenged at every turn as a ludicrous position that makes all human understanding a waste of time if considered.
There is no reason to assume anything. There is excellent evidence that laws of physics have been the same since the hot Big Bang 13.8 billion years ago. The demonstration follows a simple logical system

1) Infer laws of physics from observed phenomena and experiments via scientific method.
2)Use the observed phenomena and assumed uniformity of laws of physics to construct a past for all the phenomena observed at present.
3) Evaluate which additional as yet unobserved present phenomena should definitely exist if that constructed past and uniformity of laws were true.
4)Verify both the constructed past and uniformity of laws of physics by looking for and finding these phenomena in the present.

Predictions of Cosmic Microwave Radiation, element abundance of the universe, black holes, meteorite crater at the end Cretaceous and transitional fossils between major taxa of life... were all made and confirmed by this process, amply demonstrating the uniformity of laws of nature from the hot Big Bang epoch.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Why would poking holes in evolution somehow create support for creationism? Why wouldn't it?

Do I assume that it's one or the other? No, I don't assume anything, I know what happened. The angels assembled DNA on the planet and placed it inside a protein shell. The first three attempts failed to evolve but the fourth succeeded.

The bible is certainly not entirely wrong? So, what parts are correct and what parts are incorrect then? Let me guess, the parts that you don't like have to be incorrect, right?

Any claim has to be supported by outside evidence? The Tigris and Euphrates Rivers exist. Nebuchadnezzar existed. Jews exist. Jerusalem exists. Egypt exists. Pharoah's existed. Israel was conquered by the Romans is accepted history. You're saying all of these things are not outside evidence?

I can't use the bible to show that something in the bible is true? And you can't prove the bible is wrong either.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence? Once again you atheists have made this claim, please provide the evidence that proves this claim. Nothing violates the laws of nature/physics. Beings may have abilities that you can barely comprehend but nothing violates the laws of physics.

You're trying to prove that the bible can't be true because God can't be tested. You can't prove that. Why did you think you could? You can't use your incorrect definition of logic and your atheist invented rules of how to argue to disprove God to the rest of us.

We do not have any evidence that supernatural events are possible? The science books are full of supernatural events. Einstein's math showed that black holes were possible but he said that he didn't think that nature really formed them. String theory is full of supernatural events. What is "supernatural" to you today will be accepted common belief tomorrow.

You ask that people not use logical fallacies to argue? And who decides what is a logical fallacy and what isn't, the atheists?
:rolleyes:

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Because it isn't one or the other. Even if one were able to prove that evolution was wrong it wouldn't prove that creationism is right. The actual explanation could be something we have not come up with yet.

If you think you know this to be true, can you provide the evidence that convinced you?

The only parts of the Bible that we can use as evidence are claims that can be independently verified. If they can't, we cannot know either way. Parts of the Bible might be true, parts might be fictional. I don't decide what parts are true. No one decides. I am merely pointing out the fact that we cannot know which parts are true unless they are supported by outside evidence. Supernatural claims should be verified with evidence that shows a supernatural event took place.
They aren't evidence of anything beyond the author knowing about these things ... which wouldn't be surprising even if all of the stories in the Bible were fiction.
You can't use the bible to show that something in the bible is true because it is using nothing more than circular logic. It is logically fallacious to say that a claim in the bible is true simply because another claim in the bible says so.
I never said that nothing violates the laws of nature. I simply pointed out that a claim of something supernatural must be supported by evidence showing that the supernatural event took place. Short of that it is nothing more than an unsubstantiated claim.
I am not trying to prove that the Bible can't be true. I am merely pointing out that claims in the Bible must be independently verified before being used as evidence for something else.
Black holes exist and are not supernatural in any way, despite what Einstein did or did not say (I am not familiar with that quote, but I'll take your word for it). What supernatural events are in the science books? Can you provide an example?
Logical fallacies are not decided upon by anyone, they are discovered. They are common errors in reasoning that will undermine the logic of your argument. Fallacies can be either illegitimate arguments or irrelevant points, and are often identified because they lack evidence that supports their claim.

Check out this link for an explanation of the most common logical fallacies ... The Most Common Logical Fallacies

Laika

Premium Member
Well, the phrase "anything is possible" is a short way of saying, "anything that has not been proven impossible beyond any doubt is technically a possibility". Is it possible that unicorns exist somewhere in the universe? Sure. But, since there is absolutely no evidence even leading to any likelihood of unicorns existing, there is no reason to even think about it. The same is true for scientific laws of nature. While it is technically possible that scientific laws did not govern the universe thousands of years ago, there is absolutely no evidence that is the case. There isn't even any evidence leading anyone to consider the possibility as a real likelihood. Thus, it is dishonest to use the technical possibility as a reason why carbon dating isn't reliable.

Allowing technical possibilities not supported by any evidence whatsoever to hinder scientific progress and understanding is a dangerous thing. It should be challenged at every turn as a ludicrous position that makes all human understanding a waste of time if considered.

Fair enough. I can't really argue with that and that's a pretty reasonable position to take. :)

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
For example, all of the dating methods used are based on assumptions. I know you don't agree but nevertheless they are based on unverified assumptions.
It's not a question of agreement or disagreements. It's a question of what you believe these assumptions are and why you believe those are not justified.

DavidFirth

It's not a question of agreement or disagreements. It's a question of what you believe these assumptions are and why you believe those are not justified.

Half-life assumptions. No one has seen an atom decay for millions of years.

And you don't know what state the atoms in the samples were created or when, either, yet you are assuming you do.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

And you don't know what state the atoms in the samples were created or when, either, yet you are assuming you do.
First part is based on the confirmation of uniformity of laws of nuclear physics by successful predictions of element abundances by the Big Bang theory.

Second part is based on laws of metallurgy that are based on quantum chemistry and crystallography. Basically certain crystals simply can't form with certain atoms in their internal structure (same reason why say water can't be burnt basically). Thus all atoms of that species inside that crystal were created after that crystal formed... by radioactivity.

A Vestigial Mote

Evolution contradicts evolution. Stromatolite hasn't changed in 3.8 billion years. Crododiles haven't changed in 200 million. Trilobites are unchanged for hundreds of millions of years. There's a few more that are very old and unchanged. It seems there's a problem with your theory
This is entirely a non-issue. You should probably figure out why it is that you don't understand that. It is basically nature's version of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." It really is that simple.

Looncall

Word salad and balderdash.

Have you not heard the aphorism "it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt"?

A Vestigial Mote

Yet in the following sentence you say, "I agree, anything is possible," and you do so without providing evidence. In the following paragraph you say "Now, let it first be said that the theory of evolution in no way excludes the possibility of God's existence and creation of the universe" and you do so again without providing evidence

The statement "anything is possible" doesn't actually claim a definitive thing that can be readily proven or disproven. "Possibility" is not an absolute, and therefore not a claim of anything. If I say "It is possible that an orangutan ate your sandwich." Do I imply that I know something definitive about who/what ate your sandwich? We can start a discussion from there whether or not it makes sense to try and prove that an orangutan ate your sandwich, but my merely mentioning it as a possibility does not mean I am literally making the claim.

In the other instance things are a little stickier, but again, I would argue that the word "possible" negates there being an actual claim made here, as you suggest. The claim is not made that God exists. The claim is, I suppose, that "the possibility of God's existence and acceptance of Evolution are not mutually exclusive." If I were asked to provide evidence for this claim, I would probably point to the fact that God is whatever anyone wants him to be at any given moment (evidenced THE WORLD OVER by every single human being on the planet who differs in opinion about God), He could possibly be the creator of evolution, and that is all that is really being stated. If one wanted to assert that He IS the creator of evolution, then that is when they would need to provide the evidence to back this idea up, if there is any to be found. Otherwise, it remains just that... a "possibility."

Milton Platt

This is not meant to be about the scientific theory of evolution by natural selection, or the religious belief that God created everything and macro-evolution isn't possible. It is about the method by which creationists attempt to bolster their argument that 1) the theory of evolution is wrong, and 2) God created everything.

1. Even if you were to be able to provide evidence that contradicts evolution, it would in no way magically create support for creationism.
2. The Bible does not provide any verifiable evidence for anything. It is merely a book of claims. So, assuming that a claim in the bible is true without providing evidence to support it as being true is fraudulent reasoning (unless, of course, you start the debate with the understanding that the Bible is to be considered true).
3. Unless you can provide evidence that there is even a slim reason to believe that scientific laws of nature did not govern roughly 6,000 years ago (or whatever), don't bring it up as a possibility. I agree, anything is possible, but in a debate over a scientific theory, it is your responsibility to back up your claims with evidence. If you claim that the laws of nature might have been different, then back that up with supporting, verifiable evidence.

Now, let it first be said that the theory of evolution in no way excludes the possibility of God's existence and creation of the universe. Certainly, God could have used evolution as a tool to get life on earth to where it is today via genetic mutations and natural selection. In that case, God would have started the process and possibly would have created the first form of life on earth (bacteria). Because evolution does not even speak to the origin of life on earth, there really is no contradiction. But, that is also not what this thread is about.

Scientists have gotten to the current theory of evolution by utilizing the scientific method. The scientific method is a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses. Once a hypothesis has been sufficiently repeatedly tested and confirmed through experimentation and observation, it becomes a "scientific theory", like the theory of evolution. In short, they see a phenomenon, create a hypothesis that explains the phenomenon, and test that hypothesis with experimentation and observation. Other scientists will continually try to disprove the hypothesis, and after this has all been done "to death", the hypothesis graduates to become a scientific theory.

When discussing creationism with RF members, I came to the conclusion that they are using a fraudulent method (I call the "creationistic method") to support their hypothesis about the creation of the universe.

First, they start with the belief that the Bible is accurate. This is troubling by itself, as there is no verifiable evidence that the Bible is 100% correct, divinely inspired, or that certain stories aren't fictional (like the creation account in Genesis).

Next, they make assumptions about certain biblical events, like the flood, and characters, like Moses or Noah. We have no verifiable evidence that proves Moses or Noah existed. But, instead of looking for said evidence, creationists tend to believe whatever is stated in the Bible is true unless it can be proven false. Now, anyone with a basic understanding of logic can plainly see this is absolutely unreasonable and logically fallacious. Believing something is true without verifiable evidence, based on nothing more than claims from an ancient text written by mostly unknown authors, until someone can prove it incorrect (prove a negative) is fraudulent. It is illogical, unreasonable, and spits in the face of actual knowledge and understanding.

Next, they incorrectly assume that poking holes in the theory of evolution somehow magically creates evidence for creationism. This is, again, obviously fraudulent. Even if evolution is proven false, it being incorrect in no way provides any evidence whatsoever for creationism. They aren't the only two options ... they are merely the only two plausible options currently on the table. But, our scientific understanding of the universe is still vastly incomplete. So, it is dishonest to claim that if evolution is false, creationism must be true.

Finally, they assume seemingly ludicrous things without any evidence and ask "evolutionists" to prove them wrong. Again, this is logically incoherent, as nothing should be assumed true until proven false. For example, recently I heard the argument that the scientific laws of nature did not apply before 6,000 years ago. So, the decay rate of radioactive carbon isotopes was not only not the same as it has been since it has been measured. Radioactive isotopes might not have decayed at all before that time. Obviously, this is a supernatural claim ... an extraordinary one too. Extraordinary claims call for extraordinary evidence. We CANNOT believe something like this without verifiable evidence to confirm it. If there is no plausible reason to assume that scientific laws were different at any time throughout cosmic history, or even a crumb of evidence that even points to that conclusion, it should not be considered.

The main point I'm trying to make is this: We CANNOT fall into the trap of making assumptions simply because they help to align reality with our world view. Assumptions are fine, and necessary. But, they must be based on evidence of some kind. Claims in the Bible aren't evidence of anything ... they are merely claims.

So, if you think that scientific laws that govern the universe magically didn't rule 6,000 years ago, make your case. Provide the evidence that leads you to believe this is a possibility. But, if you say "how do you know that scientific laws did govern 6,000 years ago (or however long they claim)", the only honest, reasonable, and respectful position is to admit that you cannot come up with any reasoning or evidence that suggests they were different.

I agree with you.....but I think you are beating a dead horse.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Because it isn't one or the other. Even if one were able to prove that evolution was wrong it wouldn't prove that creationism is right. The actual explanation could be something we have not come up with yet.

If you think you know this to be true, can you provide the evidence that convinced you?

The only parts of the Bible that we can use as evidence are claims that can be independently verified. If they can't, we cannot know either way. Parts of the Bible might be true, parts might be fictional. I don't decide what parts are true. No one decides. I am merely pointing out the fact that we cannot know which parts are true unless they are supported by outside evidence. Supernatural claims should be verified with evidence that shows a supernatural event took place.
They aren't evidence of anything beyond the author knowing about these things ... which wouldn't be surprising even if all of the stories in the Bible were fiction.
You can't use the bible to show that something in the bible is true because it is using nothing more than circular logic. It is logically fallacious to say that a claim in the bible is true simply because another claim in the bible says so.

I never said that nothing violates the laws of nature. I simply pointed out that a claim of something supernatural must be supported by evidence showing that the supernatural event took place. Short of that it is nothing more than an unsubstantiated claim.
I am not trying to prove that the Bible can't be true. I am merely pointing out that claims in the Bible must be independently verified before being used as evidence for something else.
Black holes exist and are not supernatural in any way, despite what Einstein did or did not say (I am not familiar with that quote, but I'll take your word for it). What supernatural events are in the science books? Can you provide an example?
Logical fallacies are not decided upon by anyone, they are discovered. They are common errors in reasoning that will undermine the logic of your argument. Fallacies can be either illegitimate arguments or irrelevant points, and are often identified because they lack evidence that supports their claim.

Check out this link for an explanation of the most common logical fallacies ... The Most Common Logical Fallacies

It isn't evolution or creationism? You have made a claim, do you have any evidence for this claim?

Even if evolution were wrong it wouldn't make creationism right? And even if creationism were wrong it doesn't make evolution right.

The actual explanation could be something we have not come up with yet? It really couldn't. You don't get humanity from a series of accidents, the accidents get you disease.

Can I provide the evidence that angels assembled DNA on the planet? I could but why would you accept it?

The only parts of the bible that we can use as evidence are claims that can be independantly verified? Indepedantly verified, by who? Who would be this independant person? An atheist?

Parts of the bible might be true, parts might be fictional? Both of those are correct.

No one decides which parts of the bible are true? Everyone decides for themselves. If you don't even attempt to read it and learn for yourself then you have decided to before hand.

We can't know which parts of the bible are true without outside evidence? If the Jews are not outside evidence and Jerusalem is not outside evidence and Egypt and Pharoah's and history is not outside evidence then what would be outside evidence? You've dismissed all the outside evidence as not being outside evidence.

Supernatural claims should be verified with evidence? What if the universe is designed for you not to know? Do you tell a small child that there are humans who exist who like to steal and rape and murder them? What if a small child asks where babies come from, do you tell them the truth? You think you're mature enough to handle the truth. You're not, you're not even close.

How did an author near Jerusalem 3,000 years ago know the story of Adam and Eve?

Please provide your evidence that circular logic can't be true? Do you ever use the internet to research something? How do you know it's correct?

It's logically fallacious to claim that the bible is correct just because the bible says so? I will look at your evidence for this claim, do you have any or is this just another atheist claim without evidence?

A super natural claim must be supported by evidence? You're not supposed to know the evidence. It's hidden from you because you're not supposed to know it. Take a flashlight to a tribe in the Amazon. They will be amazed and think you are some kind of magician. They might worship you or burn you at the stake. You think humans are an advanced race, you're not.

String Theory is an unsubstantiated claim. Doesn't mean it's incorrect.

The claims in the bible need to be independantly verified? Once again, who is this indepedant person? And how do we go back in time and witness the events as they happened? You're trying to make an argument that only allows your ideas. That's not how the world works. You don't get to refuse all evidence and pick and choose only the evidence that supports your atheist opinion.

Black holes are not supernatural? I will look at your evidence for this claim. Do you have any?

Can I provide an example of a supernatural event in a science book? Fire. Primitive humans were once afraid of fire. Rivers flowing south, the ancient Egyptians were amazed to see the Jordan river flowing southward. Eclipses, meteors, comets, earthquakes, storms, disease, the dual split experiment, String Theory... Things that are supernatural today become accepted science tomorrow, you just think you are much farther advanced than you really are.

Logical fallacies are common errors in reasoning? Where was the error in the scientists unacceptance of the Higgs-Boson?

Super Universe

Defender of God
This is entirely a non-issue. You should probably figure out why it is that you don't understand that. It is basically nature's version of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." It really is that simple.

So species that do not change are somehow not an issue for a theory that species change over time?

They are simply nature's version of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? What was broke with the dinosaurs then?

DavidFirth

First part is based on the confirmation of uniformity of laws of nuclear physics by successful predictions of element abundances by the Big Bang theory.

Second part is based on laws of metallurgy that are based on quantum chemistry and crystallography. Basically certain crystals simply can't form with certain atoms in their internal structure (same reason why say water can't be burnt basically). Thus all atoms of that species inside that crystal were created after that crystal formed... by radioactivity.

Sorry, but I do not accept those as proof. An "educated guess" at best that could just be wrong (and of course I believe it is wrong).