• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The cost of discipleship

pearl

A reflection on this week's Gospel “Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple” (Lk 14:27)

For me the understanding of 'suffering' and 'offering it up' never made a lot of sense to me especially if taken out of context.

In today’s Gospel, Jesus teaches about the requirements associated with living out the Gospel. Some of Jesus’ teachings here, about “hating” one’s family and own life and assessing one’s ability to build a tower, might be best read as hyperboles. Yet Jesus draws on images rooted in difficult lived experiences to shock his audience and inspire action. Fittingly and powerfully, Jesus associates discipleship with bearing a cross: “Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.” Earlier in the Gospel, Jesus uses similar language: “If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me” (Lk 9:23). Jesus uses the image of the cross as a model and example of discipleship. Interpreting this language in light of the larger Gospel narrative allows us to see the significance of this imagery, as Jesus uses his sacrificial death as a model for his followers. Jesus calls on believers to live, preach and minister in light of the cross which requires a willingness to offer oneself for the sake of others.

While the language and imagery are evocative, we should note that these texts do not intend to promote suffering or enduring abusive situations. This language has a potential to be misused to downplay or ignore suffering, valorizing it as a condition of discipleship. Instead, the self-sacrificial love that Jesus alludes to with the cross should be understood in light of the larger Gospel message of love of God and neighbor, promoting service as a way of living out the Gospel. We should be mindful of and avoid potentially harmful interpretations that could inadvertently or even intentionally excuse suffering and abuse.

Jesus calls on believers to live, preach and minister in light of the cross which requires a willingness to offer oneself for the sake of others.

Today’s Gospel also echoes past Sundays by expressing divisions and distance that could emerge because of discipleship. Jesus speaks of hatred between parents and children, spouses and siblings, similar to the Gospels of the Twentieth and Twenty-first Sundays in Ordinary Time, which note that not all people will be receptive to the Gospel message of love which can cause division, even amongst family members. Jesus reiterates these potential divisions so that his followers understand what participation in his ministry entails and so that they see themselves as cultivating a new family of faith. Jesus’ transparency might be difficult, but it helps his community to choose discipleship, even if it is costly.
The cost of discipleship is high | America Magazine