• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Cosmic Egg

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Are the shivalingam and the orphic egg possibly a similar thing being represented differently because of cultural emanation?

similar to the spirit moving upon the waters, and from it comes the generative?

samudra manthana

Manikios

I believe they're the same thing. I believe Orpheus came before Adam and he was possibly Lillith's wife. This is just my theory/hypothesis though. I recommend reading On the Origin the Gnostic gospel for a good idea of how it all came to be. hxxp://www.gnosis.org/ has a copy.

ajay0

Are the shivalingam and the orphic egg possibly a similar thing being represented differently because of cultural emanation?

Yeah, there is great similarity between the two.

Orphic Egg - Wikipedia

The Shivalingam in Hinduism is also considered the cosmic egg from which sprang forth everything in the material universe, including the gods, at the time of creation, and they will all return back to the Shivalingam at the time of cosmic dissolution.

The orphic egg is considered to be the creator of all the other gods.

The Prajapita Brahmakumaris consider the Shivalingam as a point of light, to be the father of all the other gods and sentient beings.

Like the Orphic Egg, the Shivalingam is often depicted with a serpent wound about it.

The devas (gods) in Hinduism also mean 'Shining one's' similar to the gods in the greek tradition who are considered luminous.

It is possible that there is a common link and origin to these traditions.