• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Coronavirus Has Changed Islam

JayC

Hello,

I am not able to find any Muslim forums that allow immediate posting so I am posting here with the intention of reaching Muslims.

The Coronavirus has changed Islam in 100 days more than globalization had done so over 100 years.

A not insignificant number of Muslims have waged war, either verbally or militarily, for having divergent opinions and practices.

Yet with few exceptions the whole world has stopped practicing Orthodox Islam. No more Jummah, Umrah, or Taraweeh prayers during Ramadan.

If you polled the faithful 6 months ago the majority would have said those who make the proclamations that have been made in the past 2 months were engaging in Bidah, religious innovation.

What’s more is that the virus stands to kill relatively few Muslims due to the youthfulness of the Islamic World. Rough back of the envelope estimates would probably put the excess mortality rates for a 12 month unrestrained spread of SARS-CoV-2 at 0.1-0.4% of the population.

To put that in perspective that is probably a return to death rates that prevailed sometime between the 80s and early 2000s.

Even more shocking is the high tolerance for death in the Islamic World. For example a nation like Pakistan has such an elevated infant mortality rate that if it were to drop its rate to match Indonesia, a country of similar economic development, 200,000+ fewer babies would die each year. Coronavirus unrestrained would probably claim fewer lives than that in Pakistan and even the more aggressive estimates would put it at perhaps double that figure.

I am left here shaking my head in disbelief in how fast this all turned out.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Can you give us some very specific examples of how Islam is changing?

By the way, welcome to the Forum.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Welcome to RF.

Many of us are doing the same not from an Islamic context but from such as political, social, economic and other religions.

And, by the way, RF has an Islamic "DIR" that you can sign up for and where you could discuss matters with other Muslims.

JayC

For one it has always been viewed as obligatory to hold communal prayers on Friday. This was done during times of war, suicide bombings, cholera, and the 1918 Influenza. Yet perhaps 80-90% of Muslims live in Jurisdictions that have banned or limited these prayers.

When saying communal prayers it is universal to stand shoulder to shoulder to demonstrate equality among believers. Most people believe that to allow any gap the Devil will enter. Yet we see Muslims praying 2 feet apart.

Despite what the Saudis are putting out, there is no reliable historical record of Hajj or Umrah being suspended in the past millennium. Nothing in the past 200 years. Yet Umrah has been suspended for nearly 2 months and Hajj will likely be suspended.

The rigidness of the Ummah makes this all the more surprising.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
For one it has always been viewed as obligatory to hold communal prayers on Friday. This was done during times of war, suicide bombings, cholera, and the 1918 Influenza. Yet perhaps 80-90% of Muslims live in Jurisdictions that have banned or limited these prayers.

When saying communal prayers it is universal to stand shoulder to shoulder to demonstrate equality among believers. Most people believe that to allow any gap the Devil will enter. Yet we see Muslims praying 2 feet apart.

Despite what the Saudis are putting out, there is no reliable historical record of Hajj or Umrah being suspended in the past millennium. Nothing in the past 200 years. Yet Umrah has been suspended for nearly 2 months and Hajj will likely be suspended.

Thank you! That's fascinating information. Glad you joined RF.

Shad

Veteran Member
Hello,

I am not able to find any Muslim forums that allow immediate posting so I am posting here with the intention of reaching Muslims.

The Coronavirus has changed Islam in 100 days more than globalization had done so over 100 years.

A not insignificant number of Muslims have waged war, either verbally or militarily, for having divergent opinions and practices.

Yet with few exceptions the whole world has stopped practicing Orthodox Islam. No more Jummah, Umrah, or Taraweeh prayers during Ramadan.

If you polled the faithful 6 months ago the majority would have said those who make the proclamations that have been made in the past 2 months were engaging in Bidah, religious innovation.

What’s more is that the virus stands to kill relatively few Muslims due to the youthfulness of the Islamic World. Rough back of the envelope estimates would probably put the excess mortality rates for a 12 month unrestrained spread of SARS-CoV-2 at 0.1-0.4% of the population.

To put that in perspective that is probably a return to death rates that prevailed sometime between the 80s and early 2000s.

Even more shocking is the high tolerance for death in the Islamic World. For example a nation like Pakistan has such an elevated infant mortality rate that if it were to drop its rate to match Indonesia, a country of similar economic development, 200,000+ fewer babies would die each year. Coronavirus unrestrained would probably claim fewer lives than that in Pakistan and even the more aggressive estimates would put it at perhaps double that figure.

I see a lot of claims and speculation but no evidence.

james dixon

Premium Member
The Coronavirus Has Changed Islam
The Coronavirus Has Changed Christians
The Coronavirus Has Changed Muslims
The Coronavirus Has Changed Republicans
The Coronavirus Has Changed Democrat's

The Coronavirus Has Changed Humanity
Have you been changed-?

Just Asking
No
amisity intended
or implied
:)-​

JayC

I see a lot of claims and speculation but no evidence.

Alright so what are you asserting is not based on facts?

The back of the envelope fatality rates for Muslim countries is based on a study published in The Lancet that I saw referenced by the LA times.

I super imposed the Death Rates by age group on the population pyramid of Pakistan and came to a maximum of 646,000 deaths in Pakistan should those death rates hold true and 100% of the population were infected. Pakistan has a population of 212,000,000 give or take a few million people and assuming 646,000 died in excess throughout the year we would see an increase in the crude death rate by about 0.3%. Back in 1990 the crude death rate of Pakistan was 1.083%. Today the crude death rate in Pakistan is about 0.69%, should Coronavirus go unchecked the Crude death rate is unlikely to exceed 1990 levels and probably not even 2000 levels.

Of course who knows the real fatality rate of the virus as both infection rates and deaths are undercounted. However recent studies out of New York suggest that the mortality rate of the virus for New York’s population structure is even lower than The Lancet study I referenced. According to recent estimates the fatality rate in New York is closer to 0.5% based on an antibody study that estimates nearly 14% of the state has been infected. Should that bear out then Crude death rate for the state will probably exceed 1% in an uncontrolled spread scenario and such a death rate probably hasn’t been seen since the 1930s.

Anything else you want me to back up with facts? Is this insufficient for the claims I made?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.us...-show-infection-rate-of-nearly-14?context=amp

New coronavirus death rate estimates show how sharply the risk rises with age

upload_2020-4-24_20-47-51.jpeg

james dixon

Premium Member
When saying communal prayers it is universal to stand shoulder to shoulder to demonstrate equality among believers.
At one time in our past, rituals helped explain the unexplainable

Because; otherwise it makes no “common since”

Which the law follows
as do weall
:)-

james dixon

Premium Member
Thank you! That's fascinating information. Glad you joined RF.
I know I am not the poster you were posting too.,.,..,.,,.,.,.,.,,.,.,

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.But since you are talking to a newcomer & I being an old comer

who has forgotten the past-

Sunstone, have we crossed paths before-?

Just asking

If so; Hello :)-
If not; hello :)-

Shad

Veteran Member
Alright so what are you asserting is not based on facts?

You made up a poll which never happened. You cite no one of an authority declaring X is bidah. You cite nothing to show people are not praying according to their festivities and/or rituals.

The back of the envelope fatality rates for Muslim countries is based on a study published in The Lancet that I saw referenced by the LA times.

You seeing something is not you referencing that source for all to see here on RF.

I super imposed the Death Rates by age group on the population pyramid of Pakistan and came to a maximum of 646,000 deaths in Pakistan should those death rates hold true and 100% of the population were infected. Pakistan has a population of 212,000,000 give or take a few million people and assuming 646,000 died in excess throughout the year we would see an increase in the crude death rate by about 0.3%. Back in 1990 the crude death rate of Pakistan was 1.083%. Today the crude death rate in Pakistan is about 0.69%, should Coronavirus go unchecked the Crude death rate is unlikely to exceed 1990 levels and probably not even 2000 levels.

Again no citation.

Of course who knows the real fatality rate of the virus as both infection rates and deaths are undercounted. However recent studies out of New York suggest that the mortality rate of the virus for New York’s population structure is even lower than The Lancet study I referenced. According to recent estimates the fatality rate in New York is closer to 0.5% based on an antibody study that estimates nearly 14% of the state has been infected. Should that bear out then Crude death rate for the state will probably exceed 1% in an uncontrolled spread scenario and such a death rate probably hasn’t been seen since the 1930s.

No citation, again

Anything else you want me to back up with facts? Is this insufficient for the claims I made?

How about citing something instead of long winded set sentences repeating that merely repeat your claims again.

Which is NY not Pakistan

Does not prove anything about your claims regarding Muslims. Yawn. Stay on topic son, focus.

danieldemol

Premium Member

Innovation happens all the time and is a positive thing. Why should hundreds of thousands of humans be sacrificed just so you can hold to your superstition that devils will creep in the gaps in prayer?

JayC

You made up a poll which never happened. You cite no one of an authority declaring X is bidah. You cite nothing to show people are not praying according to their festivities and/or rituals.

You seeing something is not you referencing that source for all to see here on RF.

Again no citation.

No citation, again

How about citing something instead of long winded set sentences repeating that merely repeat your claims again.

Which is NY not Pakistan

Does not prove anything about your claims regarding Muslims. Yawn. Stay on topic son, focus.

Okay first off I did provide “evidence” of my back of the envelope calculations of death rates. The Lancet Study referenced provides death rates for various age groups that can then be applied to different population pyramids. Which I did for Pakistan, do you want me submit a detailed breakdown of that?

The reference to studies about New York was to bring to light that our evolving understanding of the virus suggests it is slightly less virulent than previously thought.

So you want me to quote scripture in regards to how the faith has changed?

In regards to the devil entering gaps of row

From Islamichelpline

Abu Umamah reports that the Prophet (saws) said: "Straighten your rows and put your shoulders close to each other, and be gentle with each other, and fill in the gaps for the Shaytaan passes through what is between you like small sheep [are able to pass through gaps]."

Related by Ahmad and at-Tabarani.

Jabir ibn Samrah says: "The Prophet (saws) came to us and said: 'Why don't you make the rows like the Angels make their rows in the presence of their Lord?' We asked: 'O Messenger of Allah (saws), how do the Angels make their rows in the presence of their Lord?' He (saws) replied: 'They complete the first row and stand closely together, side by side, in the row.'"

Related by Bukhari and Muslim.

Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 666 Narrated by Abdullah ibn Umar

The Prophet (saws) said: Set the rows in order, stand shoulder to shoulder, close the gaps, be pliant in the hands of your brethren, and do not leave openings for the Shaytaan. If anyone joins up a row, Allah will join him up, but if anyone breaks a row, Allah will cut him off.

Gaps in prayer rows. - Islamhelpline

In regards to Friday (Communal) Prayers being obligatory

From Islamic Fiqh

He also said

‘Some people shall cease to absent themselves from Friday prayer, or else Allah will seal their hearts and they would then be counted among those who are oblivious.’

Related by Muslim, hadith No. 865

Al-Nawawi said: ‘This hadith makes clear that Friday prayer is obligatory to every individual (male) Muslim.’[1]

:As the Prophet (peace be upon him) says

‘Friday prayer is a duty binding on every Muslim.’

Related by Abu Dawud, hadith No. 1,067; al-Bayhaqi in Al-Sunan al-Kubra, hadith No. 5,578

On whom it is binding

Friday prayer is a duty binding on every Muslim male who is free, sane, having attained puberty and is present in the area where he resides. This means that a person to whom any of these does not apply is exempt from Friday prayer.

:The Prophet (peace be upon him) says

‘Friday prayer with a congregation is a duty binding on every Muslim, except four: a slave, a woman, a child or an ill person.’
(My source doesn’t actually seem to have a Hadith book it references here unfortunately)

Friday prayer

On Jummah (Friday Congregational Prayers) being banned in Muslim Countries

From NPR

“Come Friday, few places will show the effects of the coronavirus more vividly than mosques across the world — not so much for what will be there, as what won't: Friday prayers have been curtailed or outright suspended in more than a dozen majority-Muslim countries across the world.

The list of countries to close mosques to mass gatherings or issue widespread bans includes Turkey and Lebanon, Iraq and Egypt, Jordan and Malaysia — along with a growing collection of others.

Countries with major curtailment of Friday prayers: Lebanon, Turkey, Jordan, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Kenya, Kuwait and Malaysia.“

Coronavirus Fears Derail Friday Prayers For Muslims Across The World
This article was a month old, since then most of Indonesia had limited Friday prayers and until recently Pakistan also tried to ban prayers. In the case of Pakistan one can see even though communal prayers have resumed their is a pathetic attempt to observe social distancing which is a direct contradiction to tradition and scripture.

Yes I appealed to emotions in a way by asking Muslims to reflect on whether or not the current actions be taken in Muslim countries would have been denounced had they been hypothetically asked them before the outbreak.

Anecdotally I have asked Muslims if they were told of events unfolding the way they have would they believe it or accept it months ago and universally they concede that their response would have been incredulous to these suggestions.

Unfortunately I do not possess a time machine to go back and conduct a scientific survey to back up that point so feel free to disregard it.

Are you a Muslim? If you are then you know what I say rings true. If not are you satisfied with my sourcing? Islam has different flavors but these are some pretty standard (near universal) doctrinal beliefs I have brought up that Changed since Coronavirus came into the picture. Not sure how any could argue that anything else had disrupted the practice of Islam more in the past 100 years than the Coronavirus.

If you are a Muslim then you would recognize the rigidness of the faith, if not than I don’t know how to make you see that in a few paragraphs.

The Coronavirus has been surprisingly potent in challenging that rigidness and I can’t understand why.

JayC

Innovation happens all the time and is a positive thing. Why should hundreds of thousands of humans be sacrificed just so you can hold to your superstition that devils will creep in the gaps in prayer?

Actually this has little to do with me. Yes I am hurt by the rapid change but your assertion that this is something that either I or a select few believe actually misses the point.

Many nations have used harsh measures to enforce Coronavirus Restrictions. For example in Nigeria Security Forces stand accused of killing 18 people in 8 incidents between March 30 and April 13th to enforce the lockdown.

Nigerian security forces killed 18 people during lockdowns: rights panel

The thing is Arab countries and Iran are some of the most politically repressive places on Earth. The people probably don’t support these lockdowns but as we all saw in Iran back in December the government probably killed 1500 people during 2 weeks of protest.

Special Report: Iran’s leader ordered crackdown on unrest - 'Do whatever it takes to end it'

The decision to lockdown is being made by repressive governments and in only in semi unfree countries is their any real challenge.

For example Pakistan is one Muslim country that attempted to enforce a lockdown but recently rescinded it because “freedom” loving people of the country would have been up in arms had it continued into Ramadan.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/world/asia/pakistan-
coronavirus-ramadan.amp.html

Strange how people are so eager to talk about preventing some deaths but not others.

Although we don’t know the true fatality rate of SARS-CoV-2 yet however it might very well bear out that fewer people in Pakistan succumb to Covina-19 than died in Terrorism that resulted from Pakistan’s support of the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan. That support was elicited by the U.S. with threats made by President Bush to bomb Pakistan back to the Stone Age.

Sanctimonious attitudes need not be expressed. Pakistanis in particular and Muslims in general do not support these restrictions unless it is done with overt or subtle force. Nations like the USA have done far more destruction to the Islamic world and for longer than what the Coronavirus could possibly do. It is ironic to try and halt something naturally occurring like Virus from taking people from this world while at the same time being idle while governments act in their or their allies interest and cause massive prolonged suffering to far more people.

Yes I assumed you would not condemn the suffering caused by U.S. foreign policy, feel free to prove me wrong if you are so concerned with the Muslims “sacrificing” 100,000s to preserve their culture.

Last edited:

james dixon

Premium Member
Actually this has little to do with me.
I confuse your avatar with another poster who uses the sane avatar.

I don't know the other poster, so would you change yours; you know, so I can tell you two apart-?
just asking
:)-

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

"Despite what the Saudis are putting out, there is no reliable historical record of Hajj or Umrah being suspended in the past millennium."

The history shows it otherwise:

"This Pandemic Isn’t the First Time the Hajj Has Been Disrupted for Muslims
Plague, war and politics have altered the yearly pilgrimage to Mecca throughout history

gettyimages-1205430202.jpg

Worshippers, some of them wearing protective masks, take part in the Friday prayers at Mecca's Grand Mosque on March 6, 2020, a day after Saudi authorities emptied Islam's holiest site for sterilization. (Abdel Ghani Bashir via Getty Images)
By Ken Chitwood, The Conversation
SMITHSONIANMAG.COM
APRIL 23, 2020

urged Muslims to delay their plans for the hajj, amid speculation that the obligatory pilgrimage may be canceled this year due to the coronavirus.
Earlier this year, Saudi authorities halted travel to holy sites as part of the umrah, the “lesser pilgrimage” that takes place throughout the year.
Canceling the hajj, however, would mean a massive economic hit for the country and many businesses globally, such as the hajj travel industry. Millions of Muslims visit the Saudi kingdom each year, and the pilgrimage has not been canceled since the founding of the Saudi Kingdom in 1932.
But as a scholar of global Islam, I have encountered many instances in the more than 1,400-year history of the pilgrimage when its planning had to be altered due to armed conflicts, disease or just plain politics. Here are just a few.
Armed conflicts
One of the earliest significant interruptions of the hajj took place in A.D. 930, when a sect of Ismailis, a minority Shiite community, known as the Qarmatians raided Mecca because they believed the hajj to be a pagan ritual.
The Qarmatians were said to have killed scores of pilgrims and absconded with the black stone of the Kaaba—which Muslims believed was sent down from heaven. They took the stone to their stronghold in modern-day Bahrain.
Hajj was suspended until the Abbasids, a dynasty that ruled over a vast empire stretching across North Africa, the Middle East to modern-day India from A.D. 750-1258, paid a ransom for its return over 20 years later.
Political disputes
Political disagreements and conflict have often meant that pilgrims from certain places were kept from performing hajj because of lack of protection along overland routes into the Hijaz, the region in the west of Saudi Arabia where both Mecca and Medina are located.
In A.D. 983, the rulers of Baghdad and Egypt were at war. The Fatimid rulers of Egypt claimed to be the true leaders of Islam and opposed the rule of the Abbasid dynasty in Iraq and Syria.

Their political tug-of-war kept various pilgrims from Mecca and Medina for eight years, until A.D. 991.
This Pandemic Isn't the First Time the Hajj Has Been Disrupted for Muslims | History | Smithsonian Magazine

Right, please?

Regards

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

That was very interesting. Thanks.

BTW: Ramadan Mubarak; shalom and welcome.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I don't see it as surprising at all.

I'm certainly not an expert on Islam, but my understanding was that Muslims aren't expected to endanger their lives for most religious obligations. For instance, if a Muslim is confronted with having to choose between starving to death and eating food that's normally haraam, they're permitted (obligated?) to eat the food.

Shad

Veteran Member
Okay first off I did provide “evidence” of my back of the envelope calculations of death rates. The Lancet Study referenced provides death rates for various age groups that can then be applied to different population pyramids. Which I did for Pakistan, do you want me submit a detailed breakdown of that?

The reference to studies about New York was to bring to light that our evolving understanding of the virus suggests it is slightly less virulent than previously thought.

So you want me to quote scripture in regards to how the faith has changed?
You need to post evidence that people are not following the prayers you claimed.

In regards to the devil entering gaps of row

From Islamichelpline

Abu Umamah reports that the Prophet (saws) said: "Straighten your rows and put your shoulders close to each other, and be gentle with each other, and fill in the gaps for the Shaytaan passes through what is between you like small sheep [are able to pass through gaps]."

Related by Ahmad and at-Tabarani.

Jabir ibn Samrah says: "The Prophet (saws) came to us and said: 'Why don't you make the rows like the Angels make their rows in the presence of their Lord?' We asked: 'O Messenger of Allah (saws), how do the Angels make their rows in the presence of their Lord?' He (saws) replied: 'They complete the first row and stand closely together, side by side, in the row.'"

Related by Bukhari and Muslim.

Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 666 Narrated by Abdullah ibn Umar

The Prophet (saws) said: Set the rows in order, stand shoulder to shoulder, close the gaps, be pliant in the hands of your brethren, and do not leave openings for the Shaytaan. If anyone joins up a row, Allah will join him up, but if anyone breaks a row, Allah will cut him off.

Gaps in prayer rows. - Islamhelpline

In regards to Friday (Communal) Prayers being obligatory

From Islamic Fiqh

He also said

‘Some people shall cease to absent themselves from Friday prayer, or else Allah will seal their hearts and they would then be counted among those who are oblivious.’

Related by Muslim, hadith No. 865

Al-Nawawi said: ‘This hadith makes clear that Friday prayer is obligatory to every individual (male) Muslim.’[1]

:As the Prophet (peace be upon him) says

‘Friday prayer is a duty binding on every Muslim.’

Related by Abu Dawud, hadith No. 1,067; al-Bayhaqi in Al-Sunan al-Kubra, hadith No. 5,578

On whom it is binding

Friday prayer is a duty binding on every Muslim male who is free, sane, having attained puberty and is present in the area where he resides. This means that a person to whom any of these does not apply is exempt from Friday prayer.

:The Prophet (peace be upon him) says

‘Friday prayer with a congregation is a duty binding on every Muslim, except four: a slave, a woman, a child or an ill person.’
(My source doesn’t actually seem to have a Hadith book it references here unfortunately)

Friday prayer

On Jummah (Friday Congregational Prayers) being banned in Muslim Countries

From NPR

“Come Friday, few places will show the effects of the coronavirus more vividly than mosques across the world — not so much for what will be there, as what won't: Friday prayers have been curtailed or outright suspended in more than a dozen majority-Muslim countries across the world.

The list of countries to close mosques to mass gatherings or issue widespread bans includes Turkey and Lebanon, Iraq and Egypt, Jordan and Malaysia — along with a growing collection of others.

Countries with major curtailment of Friday prayers: Lebanon, Turkey, Jordan, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Kenya, Kuwait and Malaysia.“

Coronavirus Fears Derail Friday Prayers For Muslims Across The World
This article was a month old, since then most of Indonesia had limited Friday prayers and until recently Pakistan also tried to ban prayers. In the case of Pakistan one can see even though communal prayers have resumed their is a pathetic attempt to observe social distancing which is a direct contradiction to tradition and scripture.

Yes I appealed to emotions in a way by asking Muslims to reflect on whether or not the current actions be taken in Muslim countries would have been denounced had they been hypothetically asked them before the outbreak.

Anecdotally I have asked Muslims if they were told of events unfolding the way they have would they believe it or accept it months ago and universally they concede that their response would have been incredulous to these suggestions.

Unfortunately I do not possess a time machine to go back and conduct a scientific survey to back up that point so feel free to disregard it.

Are you a Muslim? If you are then you know what I say rings true. If not are you satisfied with my sourcing? Islam has different flavors but these are some pretty standard (near universal) doctrinal beliefs I have brought up that Changed since Coronavirus came into the picture. Not sure how any could argue that anything else had disrupted the practice of Islam more in the past 100 years than the Coronavirus.

If you are a Muslim then you would recognize the rigidness of the faith, if not than I don’t know how to make you see that in a few paragraphs.

The Coronavirus has been surprisingly potent in challenging that rigidness and I can’t understand why.

Finally you posted references. It just took you two posts to get around to it. I will take a look and post later.